Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How forbid use fork() in exec() program. Post 302416678 by Corona688 on Tuesday 27th of April 2010 11:37:49 AM
Old 04-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzi
Hello World!
I am writing code in C++ which have to launch another application X using exec().
exec() doesn't as much launch another application as much as replace the same process with a different one, fyi.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Fork and exec

Hello! I am working on a server where I should have 4 (resident)processes, one of them being "the father" of the others, so I do 3 forks. The problem that I have is that I do an accept (for sockets) in the "father" process and I want to transmit the job to one of the processes "child" with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: driki
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FORK/EXEC technique

Hi! Can someone explain me exactly this technique? Why a process (PARENT) creates a copy of itself with FORK (CHILD)? What's the reason of this behaviour? Sorry, but I cannot understand the logic behind it. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshmallow
4 Replies

3. Programming

fork/exec clobbers write. I need ideas why...

On my *nix box, I have a telegram program. When I go like tel person "la\nla\nla\n" the person sees "la\nla\nla\n" However, when I have a program that forks and execs tel like: pid = fork(); if (pid < 0) { perror("fork failed"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } if (pid == 0) {... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frequency8
7 Replies

4. Solaris

fork and exec ftp

Hi, I need to find/implement an application that FTPs (puts) all new files in a certain directory to an external storage unit. This application should check for new files every 10 seconds (leaving the FTP connection open in between the 10 seconds). The easiest way would be if there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KittyJ
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork and exec

I need to ssh to a remote server and run my script there. This is my script. $ssh = "ssh username@host"; $cmd = "$ssh 'cd <my dir> && < sudo Run_exe>'"; my $pid = fork; if ($pid == 0){ exec $cmd; } When I run this I get: pccons_getchar: got r == 0 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: looza
1 Replies

6. Programming

fork() and the program is hanging...

Consider the following code.. #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <errno.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/wait.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main() { pid_t childpid; int retval; int status; childpid = fork(); if(childpid >= 0) { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lipun4u
4 Replies

7. Programming

Fork and then exec problem with signals

Hi All, In my program i am handling SIGHUP signal. In the handler i fork and then exec on child process same binary file which is running. Parent process will die after 10 mins. Now my child process which was exec with same binary file is not receiving SIGHUP signal. Below is the progran code:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushil_shalin
6 Replies

8. Programming

Newbie question on exec,fork, wait,pipe C

Hello everybody.I want to make clear that i am not going to ask from anybody to build my asignement but i have a big problem. I can't seem to find anywhere ONE good example on C about what i am trying to do:wall:.I think it is simple. All i ask is one example, even a link is fine. So, i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork with exec

What is is difference between 'fork with exec' and 'fork without exec'? How both are related? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about global environment variables & fork() exec()

Hello... And thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me on my question! I've been doing a lot of reading to try and find my answer... But I haven't had any luck What I'm trying to understand is where a child process inherits global environment variables from? I understand the exec()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
2 Replies
EXO-OPEN(1)							Xfce User's Manual						       EXO-OPEN(1)

NAME
exo-open - Open URLs and launch preferred applications SYNOPSIS
exo-open [[url]...] exo-open --launch [category] [[parameter]...] DESCRIPTION
exo-open is a command line frontend to the Xfce Preferred Applications framework. It can either be used to open a list of urls with the default URL handler or launch the preferred application for a certain category. INVOCATION
exo-open either takes a list of URLs and tries to open each of them using the default handler, or, when using the --launch tries to launch the preferred application for a certain category, optionally passing any number of parameters to the application. Options -?, --help Print brief help and exit. -v, --version Print version information and exit. --working-directory directory When using the --launch option and this option is specified as well, the application will be run in the given directory. This is primarily useful when running the preferred TerminalEmulator from another application and you want the command in the terminal window to be run in a specific directory. --launch category parameters... Launch the preferred application for the given category with the optional parameters..., where category is either WebBrowser, MailReader or TerminalEmulator. If you do not specify the --launch option, exo-open will open all specified URLs with their preferred URL handlers. Else, if you specify the --launch option, you can select which preferred application you want to run, and pass additional parameters to the application (i.e. for TerminalEmulator you can pass the command line that should be run in the terminal). COMPOSING EMAILS
exo-open allows users and developers to open the preferred email composer from the command line by simply invoking exo-open mailto:USER@HOST.TLD. This will open the composer window with USER@HOST.TLD as the recipient. This syntax is supported by all MailReaders. In addition the MailReaders that ship as part of libexo also support extended mailto:-URIs (but be aware that user-defined mailers do not necessarily support this), which allows you to also specify default values for the subject and the body of the mail, add additional recipients (both Cc: and To:) and attach files to emails. For example mailto:foo@foo.org?cc=bar@bar.org&subject=Foo&attach=/foo/bar.txt tells the composer to start an email to foo@foo.org and bar@bar.org with Foo in the subject and the file /foo/bar.txt attached to the message. AUTHOR
exo-open was written by Benedikt Meurer benny@xfce.org. This manual page was provided by Benedikt Meurer benny@xfce.org. Xfce 12/12/2009 EXO-OPEN(1)