Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read from a pipe or die in perl Post 302416611 by ilikecows on Tuesday 27th of April 2010 05:47:51 AM
Old 04-27-2010
Thanks pravin27. Unfortunately that didn't solve my problem. Adding the "! defined()" stops it from reading from a pipe if no file name is passed to it. Is there anyway to detect if a shell has redirected STDIN?

Last edited by ilikecows; 04-27-2010 at 07:10 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read after pipe problem OSX10.4

I use read often in scripts to filter the right part into a variable like: $ print "abc cde efg" | read k l ; print "k=$k, l=$l" k=, l= This works on linux and unix versions I work with. On OSX 10.4 this doesn't work. I found a workaround but would like to know why the original line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: relyveld
5 Replies

2. Programming

Problem in read() from a pipe

Hi, Can any one please help me with this. Am struggling hard to get a solution. I am doing telnet through a C program and getting the stdout file descriptor of the remote machine to pipe. read() function is getting data, But whenl it receives SOH character ie. ^A ( Start of heading = Console... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JDS
2 Replies

3. Programming

pipe read and write with many forked children

I know how to read and write if i have a forked process with only one child. However what is involved with reading and writing with many forked processes. Say one parent that forks 5 children, and needs to communicate with all 5 in half duplex. int temp, counter=0; do{ pipe(temp); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveneliuk
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl problem - why isn't 'die' being called?

last week i started learning perl, so have limited skill and knowledge. why isn't 'die' being called and the script exiting before the 'directory created' line? if (! -d "$logdir") { system "mkdir -p $logdir" || die print "\nERROR: release log directory creation failed - $logdir: $!\n";... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl problem - another 'die' issue.

two things. why doesn't the 'die' message get displayed - "Error: release log directory creation failed..."? why does the script name and line number get displayed despite the inclusion of a '\n'. apparently adding a newline prevents this from happening. if (! -d "$logdir") { use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] nawk FS using pipe read variables from file

I have a file data_1.out which contains: 1|abc mail|mail subject|mail body 2|def mail|mail subject|def mail body I am trying to read the variables from data_1.out and use them to print to 2 different files based on the id (first_column) The problem is I am not able to read the file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read pipe data

Hello, I need to read the pipe data as:- cat abc.txt | uuencode abc.txt | mailx -s hi xyz@xyz.com I will override the mailx function so that when mailx is called, it calls my version of maix and in that function I want to read the file which is attached in progional mailx function- abc.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubh05
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read pipe input issue

Hello, I have an ffmpeg bash script which is working nice and I need to do the same for other sources. To create new scripts and to deal with multiple bash files sounds not logical. It is a bit hard to manage for me.. I wondered if it was possible to make my input file as variable. Then I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baris35
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX fifo concurrent read from a named pipe

I have created a fifo named pipe in solaris, which writes the content of a file, line by line, into pipe as below: $ mkfifo namepipe $ cat books.txt "how to write unix code" "how to write oracle code" $ cat books.txt >> namepipe & I have a readpipe.sh script which reads the named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen mani
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX Pipe -Exit when there are no bytes to read

Hi All, I'm creating a program which reads millions of bytes from the PIPE and do some processing. As the data is more, the idea is to read the pipe parallely. Sun Solaris 8 See the code below: #!/bin/sh MAXTHREAD=30 awk '{print $1}' metadata.csv > nvpipe & while do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
3 Replies
io_pipe(3)						     Library Functions Manual							io_pipe(3)

NAME
io_pipe - create a Unix pipe SYNTAX
#include <io.h> int io_pipe(int64 pfd[2]); DESCRIPTION
io_pipe creates a new UNIX ``pipe.'' The pipe can receive data and provide data; any bytes written to the pipe can then be read from the pipe in the same order. A pipe is typically stored in an 8192-byte memory buffer; the exact number depends on the UNIX kernel. Bytes are written to the end of the buffer and read from the beginning of the buffer. Once a byte has been read, it is eliminated from the buffer, making space for another byte to be written; readers cannot ``rewind'' a pipe to read old data. Once 8192 bytes have been written to the buffer, the pipe will not be ready for further writing until some of the bytes have been read. Once all the bytes written have been read, the pipe will not be ready for further reading until more bytes are written. io_pipe sets d[0] to the number of a new descriptor reading from the pipe, and sets d[1] to the number of a new descriptor writing to the pipe. It then returns 1 to indicate success. If something goes wrong, io_pipe returns 0, setting errno to indicate the error; in this case it frees any memory that it allocated for the new pipe, and it leaves d alone. SEE ALSO
io_readfile(3), io_createfile(3), io_socketpair(3) io_pipe(3)