Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search a file column wise and delete it Post 302416562 by pravin27 on Tuesday 27th of April 2010 02:56:21 AM
Old 04-27-2010
Hi,

Try this,

Code:
grep -v "^$roll_no" stundent.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for by column and delete line

I have a file with thousands of lines. I need to search for a specific value in a specific field and delete the lines that match. example. abcdXX1234567 abcdXY1234567 abcdXX1234567 abcdXX1234567 If there is an XY in position 5 and 6 then remove that line. Any suggestions would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thudak
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column wise file parsing.

Shell script for the below operation : File "A" contains : SEQ++1' MOA+9:000,00:ABC' RFF+AIK:000000007' FII+PH+0170++AA' NAD+PL+++XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XX++XXX XXXX XXXX X.X. XXXXXXXXX+++NL' SEQ++2' MOA+9:389,47:ABC' RFF+AIK:02110300000008' FII+PH+0PSTBNL2A:25:5+BB'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

3. Solaris

column wise substitution in a file

Hi, I have two files. Want to make an addition of the fifth column of from both the files and redirect it to a third file. Both files have same records except fifth field and same record should be inserted into new file having fifth field as addition of fifth fields of both files. for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a file column wise and delete it

i have a file which has a column that is unique i am intending to serach it and if it is there to remove the row. the file looks like ROLLNO,NAME ,SUB1,SUB2,SUB3,TOTAL,PERCENTAGE,RESULT 15 ,rig ,34 ,56 ,87 ,177 ,59 % ,PASS 23 ,wel ,45 ,76 ,56 ,177 ,59 % ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read file line by line print column wise

I have a .csv file which is seperated with (;) inputfile --------- ZZZZ;AAAA;BBB;CCCC;DDD;EEE; YYYY;BBBB;CCC;DDDD;EEE;FFF; ... ... reading file line by line till end of file. while reading each line output format should be . i need to print only specific columns let say 5th... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search column and delete row if greater than value

Hi, as the title states i need to find a way to search a column for values great than 1000, and if it is, then delete that row. An example 1 7.021 6.967 116.019 4 U 6.980E+07 0.000E+00 e 0 0 0 0 2 8.292 7.908 118.063 3 U 1.440E+07 0.000E+00 e 0 821 814 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: olifu02
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding content of two file in a single file column wise

Hi, I am trying to get the file in particular pattern using shell script. I have to add one column to some other file. For example consider two file as below. File1: name1 name2 name3 File2: Add1 age1 Add2 age2 Add3 age3 I want this two file in a single file format something like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to find a garbage entry in a column wise text file in Linux?

Suppose I have a file containing :- 1 Apple $50 2 Orange $30 3 Banana $10 4 Guava $25 5 Pine@apple $12 6 Strawberry $21 7 Grapes $12 In the 5th row, @ character inserted. I want through sort command or by any other way this row should either on top or bottom. By sort command garbage... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dipankar Mitra
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search/grep on row and column wise

Hello, I have a comma seperate metadata as follows: CITY ,COUNTY,STATE,COUNTRY NEW_YORK,NYC ,NY ,USA NEWARK ,ESSEX ,NJ ,USA CHICAGO ,COOK ,IL ,USA SEATTLE ,MINER ,WA ,USA In my process, I get two key values ie CITY NAME (can be one of the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string in multiple files and display column wise

I have 3 files. Each of those files have the same number of records, however certain records have different values. I would like to grep the field in ALL 3 files and display the output with only the differences in column wise and if possible line number File1 Name = Joe Age = 33... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
3 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)