Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shall I go for uid or ppid?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shall I go for uid or ppid? Post 302416342 by zaxxon on Monday 26th of April 2010 07:13:41 AM
Old 04-26-2010
  • Another user id but root has usually no permission to kill processes of root.
  • Your script assmues that people would have to know which processes exist and how to get the pid of the one to kill. If they are capable to issue a ps they are usually also able to issue a kill - so I don't know if a script for such a task is useful (no offence).
  • Anyway you could do a "grep -v ^root" to spare out root processes.
  • ppid is always the pid listed in the second row following a ps -ef output. The header should show. Also /proc has much info about your processes.

---------- Post updated at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:13 PM ----------

Sorry, was interrupted while writing an answer - see Jim's answer Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strange pid and ppid problem

Hi all, Please look into the following code : int main() { char command; int pid, ppid; ppid = getpid(); /* Get the parent pid */ pid = fork(); /* Fork */ if ( pid ==0 ) { sprintf( command, " gdb a.out %d ", ppid ); printf( "Command line is %s\n", command ); system( command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asvija
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to kill processes with PPID of 1

Hi, I have been trying to come up with a script to run as a cron job to kill any processes that have PPID of 1. I have created a file that contains the PID and the PPID. How can I read this file and then execute a kill on any PID where PPID is 1. The file looks like this: 4904 1 4455 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbaysdon
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the meaning of ppid 1?

Is there any meaning on parent process id when it is equal = 1? It is found that most of the ppid is lower than pid of the same process by 1 when perform ps -ef but notice that some process's ppid is 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkrainbow
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing CRON PID w/Current PPID

All, I've got a script that needs to check if it was started by cron. The code seems to be right, but it's not running correctly if cron starts it. Am I getting the pid's correctly? I'm not having any luck figuring it out. :confused: Any help is appreciated! CRON_ID=$(ps -aef | grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GregWold
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

' ps v PPID' command and real memory

hi Guys, Just wondering whether if I execute the ps v 1818740 and I get the below ouput what column should I use If I need to calculate how much real memory (private) is use by those process. Thanks. PID TTY STAT TIME PGIN SIZE RSS LIM TSIZ TRS %CPU %MEM COMMAND ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hariza
1 Replies

6. Solaris

why process PPID changes to 1

Hi All, I have just started using SUN Solaris o.s version is :SunOS spdwa013(my server name) 5.8 Generic_117350-61 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R My problem is that i have some processes running on that server they have a PID and a PPID. But sometimes the PPID for a particular process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting a process whose ppid should be 1

How can I start a process with ppid as 1 instead of my current shell pid? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PPID differs in script and prompt

I tried several times to get answer to the below problem. Someone can please help me? $ cat p1.sh #!/bin/sh `./c1.sh &` while # indefinite loop do x=5; done $ cat c1.sh # sleep for 10 sec and exit #!/bin/sh sleep 10; Execute P1 as ./p1 & $ ps -eaf | grep c1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Name from PPID

Hi, I am currently trying to pin down a process NAME (could be a cron job or a tty) in Solaris. First I obtained a pid and then a ppid. I want to take the PPID and from there find the program/process that is making the VSH go high (cpu usage). I am currently trying to go up the chain using PS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troystevens
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PID and PPID - please explain :(-

Hi, I need some help understanding PID and PPID that is shown by the ps -ef output. OS is Solaris 5.8. :wall: There are several Oracle databases and processes running on this server and they all have the same PPID. Does that mean they are all spawned off the same startup script? I then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
KILL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   KILL(1)

NAME
kill -- terminate or signal a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal_name] pid ... kill -l [exit_status] kill -signal_name pid ... kill -signal_number pid ... DESCRIPTION
The kill utility sends a signal to the process(es) specified by the pid operand(s). Only the super-user may send signals to other users' processes. The options are as follows: -s signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -l [exit_status] Display the name of the signal corresponding to exit_status. exit_status may be the exit status of a command killed by a signal (see the special sh(1) parameter '?') or a signal number. If no operand is given, display the names of all the signals. -signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -signal_number A non-negative decimal integer, specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. The following pids have special meanings: -1 If superuser, broadcast the signal to all processes; otherwise broadcast to all processes belonging to the user. 0 Broadcast the signal to all processes in the current process group belonging to the user. Some of the more commonly used signals: 1 HUP (hang up) 2 INT (interrupt) 3 QUIT (quit) 6 ABRT (abort) 9 KILL (non-catchable, non-ignorable kill) 14 ALRM (alarm clock) 15 TERM (software termination signal) kill is a built-in to csh(1); it allows job specifiers of the form ``%...'' as arguments so process id's are not as often used as kill argu- ments. See csh(1) for details. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pgrep(1), pkill(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigaction(2), signal(7) STANDARDS
The kill function is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A kill command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD