Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C Recursion (explain)
Top Forums Programming C Recursion (explain) Post 302416310 by seede on Monday 26th of April 2010 05:22:24 AM
Old 04-26-2010
C Recursion (explain)

Hi,

Question: how come the output is like that? Can explain to me abit. I am learning C.

Thanks!

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
void printit(char line_of_char[], int index);
int main()
{
char line_of_char[80];
int index = -1;
 strcpy(line_of_char, "This is a string.");
 printit(line_of_char, index);
 return 0;
}
void printit(char line_of_char[], int index)
{
 if(line_of_char[index])
 {
  index++;
  printf("+%c", line_of_char[index]); /*how come this is not being printed after "-" was printed*/
  printit(line_of_char, index);
  printf("-%c", line_of_char[index]);
 }
}
// Output is:
//+T+h+i+s+ +i+s+ +a+ +s+t+r+i+n+g+.+ - -.-g-n-i-r-t-s- -a- -s-i- -s-i-h-T

Last edited by seede; 04-26-2010 at 06:35 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion

I'm using the UNIX csh and i wish to use recursion to nav my way up (or down as it is) a given folder. My little test script is called "r" and takes a folder as argv (or $1) #!/bin/tcsh -f set allFiles = `ls -A $argv` cd $argv while ($#allFiles) if (-d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gsjf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion too deep

I am running a korn shell script which has a recursive function. The script ran for 117 iterations and ended up with the following error "recursion too deep". what should be done to avert this? Thanks in advance Swamy p.s. I am on UNIX MPRAS V4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamy455
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with recursion in subdirectories

Hello ! I need some help with my simple bash script. This script removes all files ( with name given in $1 ) in current dir and subdirectories . The problem is with first loop in the script ( for file in * ; do ) . When I run the sript in my home directory this script display sometimes( ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty_123
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Help Help in recursion

Hello every body. I am trying to find the factorial using the following code. But it is giving the syntax error. I tried very much but in vain. Thanks in advance for helping me factorial() { if then y=`expr $1 - 1` x=$(( $1 \* factorial $y ))... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrence in non recusion and recursion

Hi, If i have given to write a prog for factorial in C using recursion and without recursion which one is better in what condition and why ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove old files without recursion?

Hi folks, I need to write a script which remove files with suffix *.dmp from a specific directory ,older than 30 days and not including recursive subdirectories. I.e: The following command remove recursive all *.dmp files older than 30 days: find $ORACLE_BASE -mtime +30 -type f -name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: recursion into subdirectories?

Hello, I'm scripting a newbie. I'm using KSH on HP-UX. I'm trying to write a script that will change a whole directory of file names into UPPER CASE. I have the "convert to upper case" part of it working fine: ls | while read filename; do typeset -u uppercase uppercase=${filename} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wotan31
2 Replies

8. Programming

Recursion

I want to halt a tail recursive function after certain validation. I want to come out of entire recursion without unwinding phase. How can i achieve that . The coding is done in C language. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script recursion

Can someone please explain me why the following script calls it self recursively: #!/bin/bash echo Called $0 while this not: #!/bin/bash echo Called $($0) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: superpointer
6 Replies

10. Solaris

BIND 9, disable recursion

Hi, I am trying to disable the recursion on DNS server (Solaris 10). I have added the lines in the named.conf as below: allow-query-cache { none; }; recursion no; Then restarted the solaris DNS services svcadm refresh svc:/network/dns/server:default Still I am able to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
0 Replies
ZIP_GET_NAME(3) 					     Library Functions Manual						   ZIP_GET_NAME(3)

NAME
zip_get_name - get name of file by index LIBRARY
libzip (-lzip) SYNOPSIS
#include <zip.h> const char * zip_get_name(struct zip *archive, int index, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The zip_get_name function returns the name of the file at position index in archive. If flags is set to ZIP_FL_UNCHANGED, the original unchanged filename is returned. The returned string must not be modified or freed, and becomes invalid when archive is closed. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a pointer to the name is returned. Otherwise, NULL and the error code in archive is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
zip_get_name fails if: [ZIP_ER_DELETED] index refers to a file that has been deleted (see zip_delete(3) ). [ZIP_ER_INVAL] index is not a valid file index in archive, or index points to an added file and ZIP_FL_UNCHANGED is set. SEE ALSO
libzip(3), zip_name_locate(3) AUTHORS
Dieter Baron <dillo@giga.or.at> and Thomas Klausner <tk@giga.or.at> NiH January 20, 2005 ZIP_GET_NAME(3)