Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating a regex expression
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a regex expression Post 302416243 by bigben1220 on Monday 26th of April 2010 12:43:18 AM
Old 04-26-2010
Creating a regex expression

Good morning all!!

In my code I and looking through file /etc/syslog.congf and printing every line that has /var/log in it. I need to turn the if 9$line) into a regex code instead.

Code:
 #!/usr/bin/perl

@file= 'cat /etc/syslog.conf';   //when 

foreach $line (@file){
  if ($line =~ '/var/log'){
  print $line;
  }
  }

Thanks in advance for some help!! Would: if ($line =~ /?var*log?/) work?

Ben

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace if regex on specific column matches expression?

I am attempting to convert rewrite rules to Nginx, and since due to the mass amount of rewrites we must convert, I've been trying to write a script to help me on a specific part, easily. So far I have this: rewrite ^action/static/(+)/$ staticPage.php?pg=$1&%$query_string; What I want done... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EXT3FSCK
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression (regex) required

I want to block all special characters except alphanumerics.. and "."(dot ) character currently am using // I want to even block only single dot or multiple dots.. ex: . or .............. should be blocked. please provide me the reg ex. ---------- Post updated at 05:11 AM... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shams11
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regular expression / regex substition on Unicode text

I have a large file encoded in Unicode that I need to convert to CSV. In general, I know how to do this by regular expression substitutions using sed or Perl, but one problem I am having is that I need to put a quotation mark at the end of each line to protect the last field. The usual regex... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thomas.hedden
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with simple regex expression

I am trying to grep the following line in a file using a bash shell: (..) admin1::14959:::::: (..) It works with the following expression (as expected) # cat file | grep ^*:: admin1::14959:::::: but it does not work with (not expected) # cat /etc/shadow | grep ^+:: I assume the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: schms
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variables in regex expression ?

Hello, Could someone explain why this one returns nothing: $ x=/jon/ $ echo jon | awk -v xa=$x '$1~xa {print}' $ while the following works fine: $ x=jon $ echo jon | awk -v xa=$x '$1==xa {print}' $ jon and the following works fine: $ echo jon | awk '$1~/jon/ {print}' $ jon ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Regular expression (regex) clean up text

Hi, Server - MEDIAWIKI - MYSQL - CENTOS 5 - PHP5 I have a database import of close to a million pages into my wiki, mediawiki site, the format that were left with is not pretty, and I need to find a way to clean this up and present it nicely... I think regex is the best option as I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi im new to bash scripting I want to know what does the regex expression do ??

# check host value regex='^(||1|2|25)(\.(||1|2|25)){3}$' if ')" != "" ]; then if ]; then echo host $host not found exit 4 fi elif ]; then echo $host is an invalid host address exit 5 fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevin298
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk regex expression works in AIX but not in Linux

I have following expression: echo "Sun 12 Jul BST 2014\nSun 12 Jul 2014\nSun 12 Jul IS 2014" | awk '/(Sun)+( 12)+( Jul )+({3} )?(2014)/{print;}' I ran above code in AIX box and output is as follows Sun 12 Jul BST 2014 Sun 12 Jul 2014 I ran above code in Linux box and output is as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamlesh_pradhan
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Regex Expression Replace

I have a XML file where there is a tag with like <wd:address_line_1>1234 Street</wd:address_line_1> I want to replace the values "1234 Street" with "Test Data". Different people have different address lines and i want to replace with a fixed value to mask the file. I was trying to use sed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed: -e expression #1, char 20: unterminated address regex

I am trying to add word in last of particular line. the same command syntex is running on prompt. but in bash script give error."sed: -e expression #1, char 20: unterminated address regex" Please help. for i in `cat servername`; do ssh -q -t root@$i sed -i '/simple_allow_groups =/s/$/,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash_message
4 Replies
NEWSLOG(5)							File Formats Manual							NEWSLOG(5)

NAME
newslog - description of Usenet log files DESCRIPTION
Most log files created by Usenet programs reside in the /var/log/news directory and have a ``.log'' extension. Several versions are usu- ally kept with an additional extension such as ``.1'', ``.2'', etc. -- the higher the number, the older the log. The older versions are compressed. The scanlogs script and related utilities (see newslog(8)) are responsible for rotating and compressing these files. Some log files always have data, others only have data if there is a problem, and others are only created if a particular program is used or configuration parameter is set. The innstat script (see newslog(8)) monitors the size of all log files. The following files will only accumulate data under the direction of control.ctl(5): control.log miscctl.log newgroup.log rmgroup.log unwanted.log In order to create these files, the ``message'' and ``action'' fields of control.ctl should be chosen from the following table: Message Action Meaning all log=miscctl Log all messages by default default log=miscctl Log unknown messages newgroup doit=newgroup Create group and log message newgroup log=newgroup Log message rmgroup doit=rmgroup Remove group and log message rmgroup log=rmgroup Log message ``other'' doit=miscctl log and process the message ``other'' log=miscctl Log message Here, ``other'' refers to any other control message such as: checkgroups ihave sendme sendsys senduuname version The following is a list of log files. control.log This file maintains a count of the number of newgroup and rmgroup control messages seen for each newsgroup. The count is of the number of control messages with identical arguments, regardless if they were actually processed. All control arguments, including invalid ones, are counted. This file is updated by tally.control, which is invoked by scanlogs if either the newgroup or rmgroup logs exist. This file is not rotated. errlog This file contains the standard output and standard error of any program spawned by innd(8). The most common programs are the con- trol-message handlers found in /usr/lib/news/control. This file should be empty. Scanlogs will print the entire contents of this log file if it is non-empty. expire.log By default, when news.daily is going to expire old news articles, it writes the date to this file, followed by any output from expire(8) and the ending date. All lines but the first are indented four spaces. miscctl.log When control.ctl is configured as described above, all control messages except newgroup and rmgroup are appended to this file by writelog. There will be a summary line describing the message and the action taken, followed by the article indented by four spa- ces, and a blank line. newgroup.log When control.ctl is configured as described above, all newgroup messages are appended to this file using the same format as for mis- cctl.log. news This file logs articles received by innd. Scanlogs summarizes the rejected articles reported in this file. news.crit All critical error messages issued by innd are appended to this file via syslog(3). This log file should be empty. Scanlogs will print the entire contents of this log file if it is non-empty. You should have the following line in your syslog.conf(5) file: news.crit /var/log/news/news.crit news.err All major error messages issued by innd are appended to this file via syslog. This log file should be empty. Scanlogs will print the entire contents of this log file if it is non-empty. You should have the following line in your syslog.conf file: news.err /var/log/news/news.err news.notice All standard error messages and status messages issued by innd are appended to this file via syslog. Scanlogs uses the awk(1) script innlog.awk to summarize this file. You should have the following line in your syslog.conf file: news.notice /var/log/news/news.notice nntpsend.log The nntpsend(8) programs appends all status messages to this file. rmgroup.log When control.ctl is configured as described above, all rmgroup messages are appended to this file using the same format as for misc- ctl.log. unwanted.log This log maintains a count of the number of articles that were rejected because they were posted to newsgroups that do not exist at the local site. This file is updated by tally.unwanted and maintained in reverse numeric order (the most popular rejected group first). This file is not rotated. HISTORY
Written by Landon Curt Noll <chongo@toad.com> and Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.6, dated 1996/09/10. SEE ALSO
control.ctl(5), ctlinnd(8), expire(8), innd(8), news.daily(8), nntpsend(8), newslog(8). NEWSLOG(5)