Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need some help with an archive script Post 302416226 by pseudocoder on Sunday 25th of April 2010 05:40:15 PM
Old 04-25-2010
@itkamaraj
Your solution won't work for me:
Code:
$ month=`date +%m`
$ echo $month
$ prev_month=`date -d "-1 month" +%m`
usage: date [-jnu] [-d dst] [-r seconds] [-t west] [-v[+|-]val[ymwdHMS]] ... 
            [-f fmt date | [[[[[cc]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.ss]] [+format]
$

@JKMlol
Here is my solution, but please(!) don't run it immediately against your live data.
First make a backup of all the directories and files that will be affected (/home/misc/images),
so you can restore them, if something goes wrong.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

month=`date +%m`

if [ $month -eq 01 ] ; then

prev_month=12

elif [ $month -eq 12 ] ; then

prev_month=11

elif [ $month -eq 11 ] ; then

prev_month=10

elif [ $month -eq 10 ] ; then

prev_month=9

else

prev_month=`echo -n 0 && echo $month-1 | bc`

fi

folders="folder1 folder2 folder3 folder4 folder5"

for f in `echo $folders`
do
# comment the next line out when you know exactly what it does
# rm -v /home/misc/images/archive/$f/* 
cp -v /home/misc/images/$f/img_$month*.jpg /home/misc/images/archive/$f/
cp -v /home/misc/images/$f/img_$prev_month*.jpg /home/misc/images/archive/$f/
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

making a archive script

Hi All: I'm not much of a script writer so I could use your input. Here's the objective... Need a script that will archive (tar) files based on date and then move them into an archive directory. The file names are as follows... S20070101.001 Year month day S20070102.001 As you can see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to archive and purge

Hi, I am writing a shell script for archive data from a table. The design is as follows. Step 1: Execute the select query and extract the data into a text file. Step 2: The primary key for this table is TRACKING_NUM, TRACKING_NUM_SUFFIX, TIMESTAMP_UPDATED. So These three fields will be read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive script

hi guru, can advise how to construct a housekeeping script using perl for the following ? find /var/tmp/logs -name "si*" -type f -exec gzip -f {} \; find /var/tmp/logs -name "*.gz" -type f -exec mv -f {} /var/tmp/log \; I found out those are not working in shell at when put them on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script help .. archive

Hi All We have a landing directory where source system puts files.There are variable number of files and the file names are also varying.Each files successful transmission is identified by a .done file.If file name is xyz.dat then the confirmation file will be xyz.dat.done. I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dr46014
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help archive script

Hi all, I am new to linux and scripting so please forgive me. I need to create a script that will archive files but the max size of the archive need to be 500mb or under. I know about the archiving with parts but i want all the archives as individual archives. Can anyone point me in the correct... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: craig0
7 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Archive Unix script to Batch script

Hi All, I have a requirement to archive processed file and retain the archive based on the quantity.. but this is in windows. I have written a drafted shell script, and would like to have it translated into Batch script.. Please... Below is the drafted shell script ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave Null
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to call Oracle archive backup script when file system reaches threshold value

Hello All, I need immediate help in creating shell script to call archivebkup.ksh script when archive file system capacity reaches threshold value or 60% Need to identify the unique file system that reaches threshold value. ex: capacity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanthdba
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Image Archive Script

Hello, I am working through a test Linux script from a website, and am running into some issues. The point of the script is to find image files throughout the system, copy them to one centralized directory,ignore duplicate images with the same name, and output a text file of all the images copied.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ComSciguy17
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in FTP script to archive

Hi Guys, I am unable to archive the FTP files from FTP source path to FTP archive path.Currently i am running this script from the Local server. Can someone help me here. Code: #!/bin/ksh set -x HOST='xxxx' USER='xxxx' PASSWD='xxxx' PORTNO='9999' FILE_NAME=$1 FTP_SRC_PATH=$2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spidy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to archive logs and sftp to another archive server

Requirement: Under fuse application we have placeholders called containers; Every container has their logs under: <container1>/data/log/fuse.log <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.1 <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.XX <container2>/data/log/fuse.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arjun Goswami
6 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal, ncal -- displays a calendar and the date of easter SYNOPSIS
cal [-jy] [[month] year] cal [-j] -m month [year] ncal [-jJpwy] [-s country_code] [[month] year] ncal [-Jeo] [year] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility displays a simple calendar in traditional format and ncal offers an alternative layout, more options and the date of easter. The new format is a little cramped but it makes a year fit on a 25x80 terminal. If arguments are not specified, the current month is dis- played. The options are as follows: -J Display Julian Calendar, if combined with the -e option, display date of easter according to the Julian Calendar. -e Display date of easter (for western churches). -j Display Julian days (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -m month Display the specified month. -o Display date of orthodox easter (Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches). -p Print the country codes and switching days from Julian to Gregorian Calendar as they are assumed by ncal. The country code as deter- mined from the local environment is marked with an asterisk. -s country_code Assume the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendar at the date associated with the country_code. If not specified, ncal tries to guess the switch date from the local environment or falls back to September 2, 1752. This was when Great Britain and her colonies switched to the Gregorian Calendar. -w Print the number of the week below each week column. -y Display a calendar for the specified year. A single parameter specifies the year (1 - 9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calen- dar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month and year; the month is either a number between 1 and 12, or a full or abbreviated name as specified by the current locale. Month and year default to those of the current system clock and time zone (so ``cal -m 8'' will display a calendar for the month of August in the current year). A year starts on Jan 1. SEE ALSO
calendar(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 5 AT&T UNIX. The ncal command appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.6. AUTHORS
The ncal command and manual were written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The assignment of Julian--Gregorian switching dates to country codes is historically naive for many countries. BSD
November 23, 2004 BSD