Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need some help with an archive script Post 302416226 by pseudocoder on Sunday 25th of April 2010 05:40:15 PM
Old 04-25-2010
@itkamaraj
Your solution won't work for me:
Code:
$ month=`date +%m`
$ echo $month
$ prev_month=`date -d "-1 month" +%m`
usage: date [-jnu] [-d dst] [-r seconds] [-t west] [-v[+|-]val[ymwdHMS]] ... 
            [-f fmt date | [[[[[cc]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.ss]] [+format]
$

@JKMlol
Here is my solution, but please(!) don't run it immediately against your live data.
First make a backup of all the directories and files that will be affected (/home/misc/images),
so you can restore them, if something goes wrong.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

month=`date +%m`

if [ $month -eq 01 ] ; then

prev_month=12

elif [ $month -eq 12 ] ; then

prev_month=11

elif [ $month -eq 11 ] ; then

prev_month=10

elif [ $month -eq 10 ] ; then

prev_month=9

else

prev_month=`echo -n 0 && echo $month-1 | bc`

fi

folders="folder1 folder2 folder3 folder4 folder5"

for f in `echo $folders`
do
# comment the next line out when you know exactly what it does
# rm -v /home/misc/images/archive/$f/* 
cp -v /home/misc/images/$f/img_$month*.jpg /home/misc/images/archive/$f/
cp -v /home/misc/images/$f/img_$prev_month*.jpg /home/misc/images/archive/$f/
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

making a archive script

Hi All: I'm not much of a script writer so I could use your input. Here's the objective... Need a script that will archive (tar) files based on date and then move them into an archive directory. The file names are as follows... S20070101.001 Year month day S20070102.001 As you can see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to archive and purge

Hi, I am writing a shell script for archive data from a table. The design is as follows. Step 1: Execute the select query and extract the data into a text file. Step 2: The primary key for this table is TRACKING_NUM, TRACKING_NUM_SUFFIX, TIMESTAMP_UPDATED. So These three fields will be read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive script

hi guru, can advise how to construct a housekeeping script using perl for the following ? find /var/tmp/logs -name "si*" -type f -exec gzip -f {} \; find /var/tmp/logs -name "*.gz" -type f -exec mv -f {} /var/tmp/log \; I found out those are not working in shell at when put them on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script help .. archive

Hi All We have a landing directory where source system puts files.There are variable number of files and the file names are also varying.Each files successful transmission is identified by a .done file.If file name is xyz.dat then the confirmation file will be xyz.dat.done. I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dr46014
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help archive script

Hi all, I am new to linux and scripting so please forgive me. I need to create a script that will archive files but the max size of the archive need to be 500mb or under. I know about the archiving with parts but i want all the archives as individual archives. Can anyone point me in the correct... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: craig0
7 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Archive Unix script to Batch script

Hi All, I have a requirement to archive processed file and retain the archive based on the quantity.. but this is in windows. I have written a drafted shell script, and would like to have it translated into Batch script.. Please... Below is the drafted shell script ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave Null
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to call Oracle archive backup script when file system reaches threshold value

Hello All, I need immediate help in creating shell script to call archivebkup.ksh script when archive file system capacity reaches threshold value or 60% Need to identify the unique file system that reaches threshold value. ex: capacity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanthdba
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Image Archive Script

Hello, I am working through a test Linux script from a website, and am running into some issues. The point of the script is to find image files throughout the system, copy them to one centralized directory,ignore duplicate images with the same name, and output a text file of all the images copied.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ComSciguy17
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in FTP script to archive

Hi Guys, I am unable to archive the FTP files from FTP source path to FTP archive path.Currently i am running this script from the Local server. Can someone help me here. Code: #!/bin/ksh set -x HOST='xxxx' USER='xxxx' PASSWD='xxxx' PORTNO='9999' FILE_NAME=$1 FTP_SRC_PATH=$2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spidy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to archive logs and sftp to another archive server

Requirement: Under fuse application we have placeholders called containers; Every container has their logs under: <container1>/data/log/fuse.log <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.1 <container1>/data/log/fuse.log.XX <container2>/data/log/fuse.log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arjun Goswami
6 Replies
CHEWMAIL(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       CHEWMAIL(1)

NAME
chewmail - mail archiver SYNOPSIS
chewmail [OPTIONS] <MAILBOX> ... DESCRIPTION
chewmail is a program for archiving mail. It is inspired by the by the Python-based archivemail, but with more useful semantics. All mail is archived to the mailbox specified with the --output-box switch, in mbox format. It can read mailboxes in mbox, Maildir and MH formats. Internally, chewmail uses Mail::Box, so it support file names and URLs supported by that module. OPTIONS
-o mailbox-format, --output-box=mailbox-format The mailbox to archive messages to. The mailbox is run through the Date::Format module, so it supports all it's conversion specifiers. The date and time is relative to the messages timestamp, or the current time if the timestamp is impossible to determine. A sample of the conversion specifiers follows: %% PERCENT %b month abbr %B month %d numeric day of the month, with leading zeros (eg 01..31) %e numeric day of the month, without leading zeros (eg 1..31) %D MM/DD/YY %G GPS week number (weeks since January 6, 1980) %h month abbr %H hour, 24 hour clock, leading 0's) %I hour, 12 hour clock, leading 0's) %j day of the year %k hour %l hour, 12 hour clock %L month number, starting with 1 %m month number, starting with 01 %n NEWLINE %o ornate day of month -- "1st", "2nd", "25th", etc. %t TAB %U week number, Sunday as first day of week %w day of the week, numerically, Sunday == 0 %W week number, Monday as first day of week %x date format: 11/19/94 %y year (2 digits) %Y year (4 digits) -d days-old, --days=days-old Only archive messages older than than this many days. -D date, --date=date Only archive messages old than this date. The date can be any date understood by Perl's Date::Parse module. -R, --only-read Only archive messages that are marked seen or read. --delete-immediately Synchonize the mailboxes after every message is moved. This will be substantially slower but may provide better recovery for some mail- box formats in the event of a crash. --preserve-timestamp Preserve the atime and mtime of the input mailbox. This only affects file-based mailboxes, such as mbox. -n, --dry-run Go through all the motions of archiving the mail, but don't actually change any mailboxes. -v, --verbose Output more informational messages. Use multiple times for more verbosity. -q, --quiet Don't output any messages other than error messages. -V, --version Print the version number then exit. -h, --help Print usage information then exit. EXAMPLES
Archive two day old messages in inbox to inbox-old: chewmail --days 2 -o inbox-old inbox Archive read messages to a mailbox named the year-month of the message: chewmail --only-read -o %Y-%m inbox SEE ALSO
archivemail(1), Date::Parse, Date::Format, Mail::Box AUTHOR
Eric Dorland <eric@kuroneko.ca> perl v5.8.8 2006-08-15 CHEWMAIL(1)