Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Counting duplicate chars in C Post 302416162 by Franklin52 on Sunday 25th of April 2010 09:02:59 AM
Old 04-25-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Is this a duplicate letter "A"
ABCDEA

Or is this your meaning of duplicate?
AABCDE
I think the last...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoMan
.... my main problem is i cant seem to be able to store the last read character so it can find out if the next char is the same.
To compare the input with the previous character the loop should be something like:
Code:
while ((c = getchar()) != EOF) {
  count++;
  if(c == lastChar){
    duplicate++;
  }
  else {
    lastChar = c;
  }
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting The Number Of Duplicate Lines In a File

Hello. First time poster here. I have a huge file of IP numbers. I am trying to output only the class b of the IPs and rank them by most common and output the total # of duplicate class b's before the class b. An example is below: 12.107.1.1 12.107.9.54 12.108.3.89 12.109.109.4 12.109.6.3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchtime
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace chars,

:rolleyes: Hi, I want to replace the particular text in the middle of the line. Ex. In the line 40-50 wanted to replace the char as 'x' (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert C source from 8bit chars to 16bit chars?

I was using the following bash command inside the emacs compile command to search C++ source code: grep -inr --include='*.h' --include='*.cpp' '"' * | sed "/include/d" | sed "/_T/d" | sed '/^ *\/\//d' | sed '/extern/d' Emacs will then position me in the correct file and at the correct line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 4 chars on 2nd line, 44 chars over

I know this should be simple, but I've been manning sed awk grep and find and am stupidly stumped :( I'm trying to use sed (or awk, find, etc) to find 4 characters on the second line of a file.txt 44-47 characters in. I can find lots of sed things for lines, but not characters. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting a chars IF == "x"

I'm new at this script stuff... only have minor exposure to java. My problem is largely syntax and being unable to figure out what the manuals are telling me what each option does. Basically I have a hard time understanding the documentation and need help with what awk is capable of on the shell... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: silkiechicken
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting duplicate entries in a file using awk

Hi, I have a very big (with around 1 million entries) txt file with IPv4 addresses in the standard format, i.e. a.b.c.d The file looks like 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.1 10.1.2.4 10.1.2.4 12.1.5.6 . . . . and so on.... There are duplicate/multiple entries for some IP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajal.bhatia
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate based on 'n' fields and mark the duplicate as 'D'

Hi, In a file, I have to mark duplicate records as 'D' and the latest record alone as 'C'. In the below file, I have to identify if duplicate records are there or not based on Man_ID, Man_DT, Ship_ID and I have to mark the record with latest Ship_DT as "C" and other as "D" (I have to create... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate chars and sort string [SED]

Hi, INPUT: DCBADD OUTPUT: ABCD The SED script should alphabetically sort the chars in the string and remove the duplicate chars. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jds93
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate values in specific column and delete all the duplicate values

Dear folks I have a map file of around 54K lines and some of the values in the second column have the same value and I want to find them and delete all of the same values. I looked over duplicate commands but my case is not to keep one of the duplicate values. I want to remove all of the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to split data with a delimiter having chars and special chars

Hi Team, I have a file a1.txt with data as follows. dfjakjf...asdfkasj</EnableQuotedIDs><SQL><SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The delimiter string: <SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! dlm="<SelectStatement modified='1' type='string'><! The above command is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies
UNIQ(1) 							   User Commands							   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - report or omit repeated lines SYNOPSIS
uniq [OPTION]... [INPUT [OUTPUT]] DESCRIPTION
Filter adjacent matching lines from INPUT (or standard input), writing to OUTPUT (or standard output). With no options, matching lines are merged to the first occurrence. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --count prefix lines by the number of occurrences -d, --repeated only print duplicate lines -D, --all-repeated[=delimit-method] print all duplicate lines delimit-method={none(default),prepend,separate} Delimiting is done with blank lines -f, --skip-fields=N avoid comparing the first N fields -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing -s, --skip-chars=N avoid comparing the first N characters -u, --unique only print unique lines -z, --zero-terminated end lines with 0 byte, not newline -w, --check-chars=N compare no more than N characters in lines --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit A field is a run of blanks (usually spaces and/or TABs), then non-blank characters. Fields are skipped before chars. Note: 'uniq' does not detect repeated lines unless they are adjacent. You may want to sort the input first, or use `sort -u' without `uniq'. Also, comparisons honor the rules specified by `LC_COLLATE'. AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report uniq bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report uniq translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
comm(1), join(1) The full documentation for uniq is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and uniq programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'uniq invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 UNIQ(1)