Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Use of SSD for serving webpages Post 302416071 by figaro on Saturday 24th of April 2010 06:52:21 PM
Old 04-24-2010
Use of SSD for serving webpages

I have seen research articles and forum postings that demonstrate that SSDs are poor at reading large files: the larger the file, the slower the SSD compared to traditional hard disk drives. The difference with hard disk drives becomes apparent at medium size files, say 20KB. Does this mean that SSDs are suitable only for pages with lots of small page elements, such as icons and short pieces of text? Apart from price per GB, are SSD with the current level of technology suitable for web hosting environments?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Threaded Discussions for Webpages

Dear All, I run a website for a non-profit. Does anyone know where I can get free or cheap software to run threaded discussions for our website? Our website is obviously running off a unix platform. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evertk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Application Serving

Hi, I'm fairly new to UNIX and am looking at the potential of using UNIX servers as Application Servers (similar to what is done by Citrix Metaframe and Terminal Services in windows) does anyone know whether this is possible or am I firing in the dark? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tombobs
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fedora9 5-NIC's Serving I-net to WinXp

Im trying to use a CISCO WiFi-BRIDGE and Fedora9 to connect to an I-net connection down the road. Then use the Fedora box to route the connection to 4-Xp workstations using the remaining 4 NIC's in the box. My paln is to eventually connect my home network/I-net to my work network 1.5miles down... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solomen
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hosting webpages(jspx) on Linux

Hi guys, I have developed a small website using jspx pages. Now i want to host the website to a server which is a linux machine. The linux machine which i m referring to is already hosting some web pages(jspx) through a web server Which is running at port 8888. My first question would be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Methods of reducing latency with downloading webpages?

I've been wondering how I can reduce latency in downloading webpages. I've been pointed to network sockets (This guide in specific, beej's guide to network programming ) as some method to do so, but I can't figure out how to apply it in the way I need it. I am iterating through webpages like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: seagaia
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for Apache and serving a page

hi i was trying to run the HTML script and was unable to run it as the apache server was not loaded on my linux server.....how do i check whether A[pache has been installed in my server or not.....???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kullu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripts to Interact with Webpages

Hi, Is it possible to have a script to interact with webpages. I want to create a script that logs a user into a specific site, and is able to get/post information. Would anyone give me instructions on how it's should be done, and where I can find information on starting it out. I know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pztar
2 Replies
TAPEFS(1)						      General Commands Manual							 TAPEFS(1)

NAME
32vfs, cpiofs, tapfs, tarfs, tpfs, v6fs, v10fs - mount archival file systems SYNOPSIS
fs/32vfs [ -m mountpoint ] [ -p passwd ] [ -g group ] file fs/cpiofs fs/tapfs fs/tarfs fs/tpfs fs/v6fs fs/v10fs DESCRIPTION
These commands interpret data from traditional tape or file system formats stored in file, and mount their contents (read-only) into a Plan 9 file system. The optional -p and -g flags specify Unix-format password (respectively group) files that give the mapping between the numeric user- and group-ID numbers on the media and the strings reported by Plan 9 status inquiries. The -m flag introduces the name at which the new file system should be attached; the default is /n/tapefs. 32vfs interprets raw disk images of 32V systems, which are ca. 1978 research Unix systems for the VAX, and also pre-FFS Berkeley VAX sys- tems (1KB block size). Cpiofs interprets cpio tape images (constructed with cpio's c flag). Tarfs interprets tar tape images. Tpfs interprets tp tapes from the Fifth through Seventh Edition research Unix systems. Tapfs interprets tap tapes from the pre-Fifth Edition era. V6fs interprets disk images from the Fifth and Sixth edition research Unix systems (512B block size). V10fs interprets disk images from the Tenth Edition research Unix systems (4KB block size). SOURCE
These commands are constructed in a highly stereotyped way using the files fs.c and util.c in /sys/src/cmd/tapefs, which in turn derive substantially from ramfs(4). SEE ALSO
Section 5 passim, ramfs(4). TAPEFS(1)