Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Which language is best suited for regular expressions perl,python.ruby ? Post 302416024 by figaro on Saturday 24th of April 2010 11:29:23 AM
Old 04-24-2010
I would like to approach it from the opposite direction: if you master regular expressions well enough and know from your architect what the target language is, you are in a much better position to understand how you can implement the requirements. We routinely develop prototypes with regular expressions in Javascript and ask our developers to implement it on the target environment. The language then turns out to be much less of an issue, since the prototype regex can usually be copied with some syntactical modifications.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regular expressions...

I am writing script that will act like the 'comm' utility. My problem is when trying to read whether the user has entered -123 or -1 or -1...etc. I currently have: if(m/??/g){ print "Good.\n"; } So, this should check for all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DrRo183
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expressions HELP - PERL

Hello, $line=USING (FILE '/TEST1/FILENAME'5000) I want to reterive the value between ' and ) which is 5000 here. i have tried out the following expressions ... Type 1 : $Var1=`sed -e 's/.*\' //' -e 's\).*$/' $line`; Type 2 : $Var1=`echo $line | awk -F"\'" '{print $2}' | awk -F"\\)"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxmave
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions HELP - PERL

Hello, $line=USING (FILE '/TEST1/FILENAME'5000) I want to reterive the value between ' and ) which is 5000 here. i have tried out the following expressions ... Type 1 : $Var1=`sed -e 's/.*\' //' -e 's\).*$/' $line`; Type 2 : $Var1=`echo $line | awk -F"\'" '{print $2}' | awk -F"\\)"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regular expressions and field search

Hello guys/gals, i am sorry as this is probably very simply but i am slowly learning perl and need to convert some old korn shell scripts. I need to be able to search a file line by line but only match a string at particular location on that line, for example character 20-30. So my file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynamox
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions - Perl

Hello everybody, I am trying to connect from hp-ux to win 2003 using perl's Net::Telnet module. Seeing the examples in couple of web sites, I saw I have to declare a Prompt => Can somebody please tell me what my regular expression should be? The prompt after I log in is: ... login:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whatever
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions using perl script

i have a set of regular expressions. The words in the regular expression should be used to replace the i/p with hyphens '---'. i need perl script to evaluate these regular expression. the words in the regexes when found in the i/p file should be replaced with hyphens '---'. the set of regular... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sgiri1
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regular expressions don't like the @ ("at") sign.

Take a look at this code: #!/usr/bin/perl use 5.008; $_ = "somename@address.com"; if(/\@\w+\.com/) { print "\n\nmight be an email address\n\n"; } else { print "\n\nnot an email address\n\n"; } Shouldn't the /\@\w+\.com/ evaluate as true? I've also tried: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Regular Expressions - Match complete word only

Hi Team, I have two strings like: xxx|yyy|Arizona Cardinals| Tell Cardinals | Cardinals bbb|Bell Earn, Jr | Bell Earn | Jayhawks | hawks I have a lookup file which has a set of strings. These need to be removed from above two strings Lookup file Contents: Bell Earn, Jr hawks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forums123456
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL Regular Expressions

im trying to extract some tags between and in a file..for eg..the file format is I want the and extracted from the file i.e the tags which is present b/w and I have the regex for extracting the tags from the whole file but how to specify my search within the and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkrishna89
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed or python for regular expressions ?

Linux 6.X environments (RHEL, Oracle Linux ) I could write basic shell scripts in bash. In my spare time, I was planning to learn awk or sed to deal with regular expression tasks I have to deal with. But, I gather that python is gaining popularity these days and I came to know that python has a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
5 Replies
regcmp(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         regcmp(1)

NAME
regcmp - regular expression compile SYNOPSIS
regcmp [-] filename... DESCRIPTION
The regcmp command performs a function similar to regcmp and, in most cases, precludes the need for calling regcmp from C programs. Bypass- ing regcmp saves on both execution time and program size. The command regcmp compiles the regular expressions in filename and places the output in filename.i. OPTIONS
- If the - option is used, the output is placed in filename.c. The format of entries in filename is a name (C variable) followed by one or more blanks followed by one or more regular expressions enclosed in double quotes. The output of regcmp is C source code. Compiled regular expressions are represented as extern char vectors. filename.i files may thus be #included in C programs, or filename.c files may be compiled and later loaded. In the C program that uses the regcmp output, regex(abc,line) applies the regu- lar expression named abc to line. Diagnostics are self-explanatory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Examples of the regcmp command. name "([A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*)$0" telno "({0,1}([2-9][01][1-9])$0){0,1} *" "([2-9][0-9]{2})$1[ -]{0,1}" "([0-9]{4})$2" The three arguments to telno shown above must all be entered on one line. In the C program that uses the regcmp output, regex(telno, line, area, exch, rest) applies the regular expression named telno to line. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
A general description of the usage of the LC_* environmental variables can be found in environ(5). LC_CTYPE Determines how regcmp handles characters. When LC_CTYPE is set to a valid value, regcmp can display and handle text and filenames containing valid characters for that locale. LC_MESSAGES Determines how diagnostic and informative messages are presented. This includes the language and style of the messages, and the correct form of affirmative and negative responses. In the "C" locale, the messages are presented in the default form found in the program itself (in most cases, U.S. English). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWtoo | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
regcmp(3C), attributes(5), environ(5) SunOS 5.10 Dec 20 1996 regcmp(1)