Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming TCP/IP, how to verify delivery? Post 302415925 by jim mcnamara on Friday 23rd of April 2010 05:40:23 PM
Old 04-23-2010
Most apps that are worried about that use some sort of short packet header kind of ack-back system example:

One system I just coded used packet header format:
nnnnnnnnXXmmmmmmmmmm

where nnnnnnnnn= zero-filled len of whole packet
XX == type of packet: DT == data AK == acknowledge
mmmmmm==unique packet identifier, rolling

An AK packet is 00000020AK0000001234, with only 20 bytes is sent back to acknowledge a datapacket named 00000576DT0000001234

The system expects an AK packet back in 1 minute or less, AK
packets are stored in a queue with a timestamp. I can check for receipt success or resend status. There are also keepalive packets of the same short format sent every 30seconds, for low traffic times.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail delivery confirmation

If I am sending mail with this command: mail .......@whatever.com < filename, is it possible to get delivery confirmation? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSGUY
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delivery Failure notice when aliase has added

Hi Team, Mails are coming proper on my server. But when i added a sendmail(/etc/mail/aliases) alias to redirect mails to a script, Its started giving delivery failure for the same id. Can you tell me what can be the possible reason for this?and how can we sort it out. Its very urgent for me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mindtee_abhi
3 Replies

3. AIX

Issues on email delivery

Hello, there is a problem when using sendmail to certain destinations, basically the recipient will reject the incoming message because the user@local.domain.com is used as the sender (Return-Path), they would verify local.domain.com is not a valid DNS record which is true because it is a local... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil_is_ere
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail weird Local Delivery Problem

Hi Guys, Just joined the forum though I have been lurking here for many years now. Wondering if anyone can help me out with a problem that I'm currently having. :wall: I have a few servers that are relaying all email off of the box to an exchange server. There is a SmartHost configured in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PACETREE
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Too much TCP retransmitted and TCP duplicate on server Oracle Solaris 10

I have problem with oracle solaris 10 running on oracle sparc T4-2 server. Os information: 5.10 Generic_150400-03 sun4v sparc sun4v Output from tcpstat.d script TCP bytes: out outRetrans in inDup inUnorder 6833763 7300 98884 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: insatiable1610
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Smtp dual delivery script

Hello Peoples, I have a problem wrapping my head around a script that I modified, essentially it uses the postfix smtp line in master.cf to send out a message to two or more email servers, It is a nice way to test different email servers and platforms. Problem with the original script is that it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SeSe
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

DNS config preventing mail delivery

Hi Please can you help on this: the Net Admins decided to use DNS to resolve names, so this is preventing mail being delivered when using commands like date | mailx -s "test" abc.xyz@asdf.xx.yy. What we were asked was to edit /etc/resolv.confand add 3 entries, in all servers (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
10 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Qmail mail delivery problem

Dear Concern, As per below article, we have configured qmail in our system. THE LINUX STUFF: qmail Installation Steps on Linux But when we try to send any mail in own domain, got below error message. Please advise. Apr 17 17:01:20 BLAUDITSCPTEST sendmail: alias database /etc/aliases... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
0 Replies
FAITH(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						  FAITH(4)

NAME
faith -- IPv6-to-IPv4 TCP relay capturing interface SYNOPSIS
device faith DESCRIPTION
The faith interface captures IPv6 TCP traffic, for implementing userland IPv6-to-IPv4 TCP relay like faithd(8). Each faith interface is created at runtime using interface cloning. This is most easily done with the ifconfig(8) create command or using the cloned_interfaces variable in rc.conf(5). Special action will be taken when IPv6 TCP traffic is seen on a router, and the routing table suggests to route it to the faith interface. In this case, the packet will be accepted by the router, regardless of the list of IPv6 interface addresses assigned to the router. The packet will be captured by an IPv6 TCP socket, if it has the IN6P_FAITH flag turned on and matching address/port pairs. As a result, faith will let you capture IPv6 TCP traffic to some specific destination addresses. Userland programs, such as faithd(8) can use this behavior to relay IPv6 TCP traffic to IPv4 TCP traffic. The program can accept some specific IPv6 TCP traffic, perform getsockname(2) to get the IPv6 destination address specified by the client, and perform application-specific address mapping to relay IPv6 TCP to IPv4 TCP. The IN6P_FAITH flag on a IPv6 TCP socket can be set by using setsockopt(2), with level IPPROTO_IPV6 and optname IPv6_FAITH. To handle error reports by ICMPv6, some ICMPv6 packets routed to an faith interface will be delivered to IPv6 TCP, as well. To understand how faith can be used, take a look at the source code of faithd(8). As the faith interface implements potentially dangerous operations, great care must be taken when configuring it. To avoid possible misuse, the sysctl(8) variable net.inet6.ip6.keepfaith must be set to 1 prior to using the interface. When net.inet6.ip6.keepfaith is 0, no packets will be captured by the faith interface. The faith interface is intended to be used on routers, not on hosts. SEE ALSO
inet(4), inet6(4), faithd(8) Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino and Kazu Yamamoto, An IPv6-to-IPv4 transport relay translator, RFC3142. HISTORY
The FAITH IPv6-to-IPv4 TCP relay translator first appeared in the WIDE hydrangea IPv6 stack. BSD
April 10, 1999 BSD