Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Track deleted OS user accounts Post 302415877 by Sk0glund on Friday 23rd of April 2010 02:40:06 PM
Old 04-23-2010
Power Track deleted OS user accounts

Recently we've had a couple user accounts mysteriously disappear. Is there any way to track these accounts and determine who/how they were deleted?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to track FTP user last login? Last and Finger don't track them.

Like the topic says, does anyone know if it is possible to check to see when an FTP only user has logged in? Because the shell is /bin/false and they are only using FTP to access the system doing a "finger" or "last" it says they have never logged in. Is there a way to see when ftp users log in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

keep track of every user

dear all , I m new to shell programming and I need your help. Actually i want to keep track of all the commands executed in a bash prompt of users , very much in same manner as it is displayed when we run "history" command. now the users are smart enough as they delete their history by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xander
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Track user commands

Hi, I have a unix server and I am concerned about the security on that server. I would like to be able to write a script that records all the commands that were typed at the command prompt before the user calls the 'history -c' command and deletes all the history. I was thinking about firing or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mishkamima
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Track user

Hi, i suddenly realized that a directory is deleted unfortunately there are many user have pervilages on this directory is there a way to track the user who delete this directory or atleast from now can i enable something so that i can track from now I think there is way from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackgeek
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Track user log!

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The task is to measure the density of users that are logged on system. The program should check that every 30... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: petel1
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to track user activity?

Hi All Please can you help me with the following issue: A certain vendor installed an application in which for a user to log in; the user must use a user created/predefined by the application. And because this application has more than one user its difficult to track who did what and when,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Track activity of a user

Hi All We have a job which writes files to a server at a particular time. The files will be created by a particular user ID Today, during the execution of the job, it created a file to the server and the file sat on the server for sometime, but was deleted immediately at the end of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
4 Replies
SYNC-ACCOUNTS(8)						 chiark utilities						  SYNC-ACCOUNTS(8)

NAME
sync-accounts - synchronise accounts and passwords SYNOPSIS
sync-accounts [options] [source ...] DESCRIPTION
sync-accounts is a tool for copying account information into the local system's password and group databases, or equivalent, from other systems. It can be used to slave individual accounts, whole systems, or various partial combinations. By default, when invoked, sync-accounts reads is configuration file and updates all of the local details it is configured to synchronise, from all relevant sources. If one or more sources are named as command-line arguments, only information from those sources is installed locally. See sync-accounts(5) for detailed information about sync-accounts's behaviour and configuration. OPTIONS
-Cconfig-file Reads config-file instead of /etc/sync-accounts. -q Instead of updating local information, sync-accounts displays a summary of which accounts are synchronised or not, and from where. -n Causes sync-accounts not to actually install the new information in the local password and group databases. Instead, updated ver- sions are written to the files passwd and group in the current directory. With -n new accounts are not created at all. The system databases are not locked. SECURITY
sync-accounts is not resistant to malicious data in the local password and group databases, or its configuration file or command line argu- ments. Malicious data in source information will not be able to take control of sync-accounts, but will be copied to the local databases if sync- accounts is configured to do so. To update the local databases, sync-accounts must be run as root. For -q and -n sync-accounts still needs to be able to successfuly invoke the commands specified in the configuration for getpasswd and getgroup. EXIT STATUS
0 All went well and there were no warnings. any other There were problems. The local databases may or may not have been updated. FILES
/etc/sync-accounts Default configuration file. (Override with -C.) sync-accounts-createuser Default command invoked by sync-accounts to create local users. /home Default location for created users' home directories. /bin/sh Default shell for created users. /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow, /etc/master.passwd Local account databases, depending on configuration. /etc/shadow-non-existent Must not exist. ENVIRONMENT
EDITOR, VISUAL Manipulated by sync-ccounts when it is reinvoking itself via vipw or vigr, according to lockpasswd runvia or lockgroup runvia. SYNC_ACCOUNTS_* Used by sync-accounts for its own purposes. Do not set these variables. Setting variables used by vipw(8) and vigr(8), apart from EDITOR and/orVISUAL will affect the operation of sync-accounts. Avoid messing with these if possible. PATH is used to find subprograms such as sync-accounts-createuser and vipw/vigr. BUGS
Using sync-accounts does not give particularly prompt propagation of changed account information. There is no simple mechanism for automatically getting the right configuration details for accessing the local system's password and group databases. All the systems sharing account information using sync-accounts need to be using compatible encrypted-password schemes. AUTHOR
sync-accounts and this manpage are part of the sync-accounts package which was written by Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk>. They are Copyright 1999-2000,2002 Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk>, and Copyright 2000-2001 nCipher Corporation Ltd. The sync-accounts package is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3, or (at your option) any later version. This is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, consult the Free Software Foundation's website at www.fsf.org, or the GNU Project website at www.gnu.org. SEE ALSO
sync-accounts(5), grab-account(8), sync-accounts-createuser(8), passwd(5), group(5), shadow(5), master.passwd(5), vipw(8), vigr(8) Greenend 14th July 2002 SYNC-ACCOUNTS(8)