Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Conflict with PIDs
Operating Systems Solaris Conflict with PIDs Post 302415815 by jim mcnamara on Friday 23rd of April 2010 11:15:01 AM
Old 04-23-2010
Why not add some logging
Code:
15 17 * * 1,2,3,4,5  /local/home/appworx/admin/ctl.shl 2&>1 > /local/home/appworx/admin/ctl.log

This is a sample crontab entry that logs the activity of /local/home/appworx/admin/ctl.shl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

PIDs of background process

How to track the pid of a background child process(shell script) from a parent script ? For example :- $ sleep 10000 & 4220 where 4220 is the pid of bg process sleep. Now my requirement is to keep the sleep statement in a shell script(test.ksh) and will be invoking it from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the maximum # of PIDs

Is there a command in HP Unix which can be used inside a K shell to find out the maximum number of processes (PIDs) a pc can generate? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Steve (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for PIDs

I am trying to write a Shell script wherein the shell needs to read a list of PID in the File $stat/bin/Process and compare it to the PID of the processes running on a server. Also the script should return KO(not OK) with corresponding label :- a) When an environmental variable not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marconi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing PIDs in shell..

Hi, There is a file having a list of running PIDs and another file having a list of registered PIDs. How can we check if the number of running PIDs are less or more than the registered PIDs, comparing the total no. in each and also each value. Request you to pls give your inputs. Thanks a... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing PIDs in a Shell...

Hi, There is a file having a list of running PIDs (pid_process) and another file having a list of registered PIDs (pid_regieter). I want to check if:- a) there is at least one running PID that does not correspond to a registered PID (listing the PID not registered in the file) ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Track and kill the PIDS

I have a script that conducts some SSH calls and I would like to capture the child info so that I can do a sleep and then a cleanup to make sure they do not stay out there as ghosts. I was told I could do something like this... #!/bin/sh for m = job1, job2, job3 x=1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

Conflict between df -k and du -sk...again

Hi, I know this has been discussed a number of time but i could not get the exact answer. So need help again. Issue: The two command for same file system shows different size. du -sk shows toatl size is 12780685 KB while df -k 45289229 used allocated Kb /oxt/mantran/bin $ du -sk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaya_17
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

differentiating PIDs under 200

Hey, So I'm new to shell scripting, and I'm trying to write one for my lab that will keep down the work load by deleting processes that are left over from previous sessions. Basically I want it to do three things. 1) Check the processes running 2) See if that person is logged on. 3) if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prgoodwin
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to kill pids

Hi there !!! I am writing a script to kill the pids on different linux boxes :cool: the output of my command gives the pids running on that box, but how can I kill all the pids without looping? :confused: Code: ssh $i ps -fu $USER | grep ManServer | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' | kill ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prany_cool
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get all associated pids

im looking for a portable way to get the PID of the script that is running, and to get every other PIDs that are spawned from it. and by ever other PIDs, i presume, that would be "child processes". however, i want to shy away from using any command that is not available on every single unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
cron(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   cron(8)

NAME
cron - The system clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
The cron daemon runs shell commands at specified dates and times. Commands that are to run according to a regular or periodic schedule are found within the crontab files. Commands that are to run once only are found within the at files. You submit crontab and at file entries by using the crontab and at commands. Because the cron process exits only when killed or when the system stops, only one cron daemon should exist on the system at any given time. Normally, you start the cron daemon from within a run command file. During process initialization and when cron detects a change, it examines the crontab and at files. This strategy reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. The cron command creates a log of its activities. The cron daemon must be started from the system startup scripts because it must begin execution without a login user ID set. The cron daemon starts each job with the following process attributes stored with the job by the invoking process: Login user ID Effective and real user IDs Effective and real group IDs Supplementary groups It also establishes the following attributes from the authentication profile of the account associated with the login user ID of the invok- ing process: Audit control and disposition masks Kernel authorizations DIAGNOSTICS
The at and batch programs will refuse to accept jobs submitted from processes whose login user ID is different from the real user ID. FILES
Specifies the command path. Main cron directory Directory containing the crontab files. List of allowed users. List of denied users His- tory information for cron Queue description file for at, batch, and cron RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), crontab(1), rc0(8), rc2(8), rc3(8) Files: queuedefs(4) delim off cron(8)