Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: test: argument expected
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting test: argument expected Post 302415735 by Scott on Friday 23rd of April 2010 08:31:24 AM
Old 04-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
I can reproduce the error message in ksh. The test "-e" is not valid in "ksh". It is valid in POSIX shells such as bash.

Code:
Change
if [ ! -e $fname ]
To
if [ ! -f $fname ]

It is also good practice to put a shebang line as the first line of your script to make it clear to other administrators which shell you prefer.
Are you saying that ksh is not a POSIX shell?

-e is perfectly valid in ksh.

In sh not, so I would suspect that to be the shell in use by the O/P.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ERROR-> test: argument expected , what does it mean?

I am trying to compare two integer variables in the if statement, but i am getting this "test:argument expected". What am i missing? Why is the if loop not executing correctly? trunkPCM="100000"; more $FILE |while read line do PCM=`echo $line | awk '{ print $2 }'` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tan102938
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

test:argument expected

Hi all, I am getting "test:argument expected" error in the following script LOGDIR=$XXAR_TOP/log PROGRAM_NAME=XXAR_GPS_LBFDMSGEN .. .. .. Check_Errors() { sqllogfile=$1 cd ${LOGDIR} countfile=${LOGDIR}/${PROGRAM_NAME}.tmp echo "countfile is " $countfile >> $LOGFILE echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrs
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

test: argument expected

Can someone help me with a very simple query I have the following script: #!/bin/sh VAR1="" if then VAR1="Message" fi echo $VAR1 put when i run it i get the following error test_job.sh: test: argument expected (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy202
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I'm newbie to coding script so i found test: argument expected when i run it. please help me a=`df -k |awk '{print $5 }'|egrep "(100%|%)"|cut -d"%" -f1|tail -1` if then df -k|egrep "(100%|%)"|awk '{print $1,$5,$6}' else echo "No disk capacity more than 80%" fi thk in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

+ test.sh: test: argument expected #!/bin/bash if then echo thennnn else echo elseeee fi why does it show this error? Clearly from debug mode, the argument is passed. I also tried if Run on Solaris 9. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test: argument expected.

Hi, Since i am new to Unix and on suggestion on some smart guys on unix... i have decide to learn more deeply on Unix...so i was kind of playing with if statements and found this error... though i tried to correct is for hours now i couldnt find whats wrong in my loop. if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

error : test: argument expected

Hello all, I am trying to figure out why i am getting an error while executing the script...altought it seems like its work...but still get the test arguement error...any help would be appericiate...this script basically connects to any oracle db ( just have to pass db name to it)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error- test: argument expected

check_build_info_table() { if then export build_info_table=`sqlplus -s sna/dbmanager <<! set pagesize 0 heading off feedback off SELECT DISTINCT TABLE_NAME FROM ALL_TABLES WHERE OWNER = 'XYZ' AND TABLE_NAME = 'MY_TABLE'; exit !` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambarginni
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test: argument expected

The following example prompts are passed into the shell script. $1 = /tmp/dir/ $2 = varies (test.txt, test1.txt, test2.txt...) $3 = test_YYYYMMDD.txt --------------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/sh cd $1 if ; then if ; then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smkremer
3 Replies
test(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   test(1)

NAME
test - condition evaluation command SYNOPSIS
expr DESCRIPTION
The command evaluates the expression expr and, if its value is True, returns a zero (true) exit status; otherwise, a nonzero (false) exit status is returned. also returns a nonzero exit status if there are no arguments. The following primitives are used to construct expr: True if file exists and is readable. True if file exists and is writable. True if file exists and is executable. True if file exists and is a regular file. True if file exists and is a directory. True if file exists and is a character special file. True if file exists and is a block special file. True if file exists and is a named pipe (fifo). True if file exists and its set-user-ID bit is set. True if file exists and its set-group-ID bit is set. True if file exists and its sticky bit is set. True if file exists and has a size greater than zero. True if file exists and is a symbolic link. True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. True if the length of string s1 is zero. True if the length of the string s1 is non-zero. True if strings s1 and s2 are identical. True if strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons and can be used in place of These primaries can be combined with the following operators: Unary negation operator. Binary AND operator. Binary OR operator has higher precedence than Parentheses for grouping. Note that all the operators and flags are separate arguments to Note also that parentheses are significant to the shell and therefore must be escaped. All file test operators return success if the argument is a symbolic link that points to a file of the file type being tested. is interpreted directly by the shell, and therefore does not exist as a separate executable program. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single byte and multibyte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
Exit if there are not two or three arguments: Create a new file containing the text string if the file does not already exist: Wait for myfile to become non-readable: WARNINGS
When the form of this command is used, the matching must be the final argument, and both must be separate arguments from the arguments they enclose (white space delimiters required. Parentheses and other special shell metacharacters intended to be handled by test must be escaped or quoted when invoking from a shell. Avoid such problems when comparing strings by inserting a non-operator character at the beginning of both operands: This approach does not work with numeric comparisons or the unary operators because it would affect the operand being checked. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. SEE ALSO
find(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
test(1)