Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Efficiently Repeat Text
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Efficiently Repeat Text Post 302415557 by DeCoTwc on Thursday 22nd of April 2010 11:15:23 PM
Old 04-23-2010
What I do in many of my scripts is create a function at the beginning called separator and then whenever I need to separate things, I just call on it.

Code:
$cat example
separator () #Function that draws separator
    {
        printf "${LB}==============================================================================================================${N}\n"
    }
separator 
echo "This is an example"
separator 

$./example
==============================================================================================================
This is an example
==============================================================================================================

Edit: The {LB} and {N} are there because in the script I copied this out of, I was using ANSI colour codes to colour the separator.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

how to use PING command efficiently

Do anyone telle me please how to use PING command to verify connection (TCP/IP) between serveurs. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoang
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Writing fast and efficiently - how ?

I have a lot of processes all of which need to write quite a lot of data to the filesystem ( to a single file). This is managed today in the following way : all the processes write the data to a shared memory block, which is manged by a process that empties it to a file, thus allowing more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seeker
1 Replies

3. Programming

Writing fast and efficiently - how ?

I have a lot of processes all of which need to write quite a lot of data to the filesystem ( to a single file). This is managed today in the following way : all the processes write the data to a shared memory block, which is manged by a process that empties it to a file, thus allowing more... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seeker
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using xapply efficiently?

Hi all, Were currently using xapply to run multiple ssh instances that then calls a script that returns the PID of a webserver process. Currently we have like 30 xapply statements in a script call checkit which checks various webserver processes on various unix/linux boxes. My question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdsffl
0 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

how to search files efficiently using patterns

hi friens, :) if i need to find files with extension .c++,.C++,.cpp,.Cpp,.CPp,.cPP,.CpP,.cpP,.c,.C wat is the pattern for finding them :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunsubbhian
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

efficiently split a 2GB text file into two

Can an expert kindly write an efficient Linux ksh script that will split a large 2 GB text file into two? Here is a couple of sample record from that text file: "field1","field2","field3",11,22,33,44 "TG","field2b","field3b",1,2,3,4 The above rows are delimited by commas. This script is to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ihot
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a string efficiently

I am new to the boards and to shell programming and have a requirement to name new files received with a unique sequence number. I need to look at a particular file pattern that exists and then to increment a sequence by 1 and write the new file. Example of file names and sequence # ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandiego_coder
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting remote variables more efficiently

Hello all, I have a script that has to get variables remotely. Rather than having the script login to the remote server 3 separate times, is there a faster way to get each variable? ##Server comes from input or list## CHKINSTALL=`ssh server "swlist | grep -i program" | grep -v... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Purging 2000+ directories efficiently

Hi I have a requirement wherein i need to purge some directories. I have more than 2000 directories where i need to keep data for 10 days and delete the rest. What i am looking for is an efficient way to achieve this. There are four mount points from where i need to delete the files. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apoorvbarwa
3 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)