Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Testing for valid DC's?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Testing for valid DC's? Post 302415474 by MrEddy on Thursday 22nd of April 2010 04:02:01 PM
Old 04-22-2010
Testing for valid DC's?

Ok so this is sort of a unix question. I am frequently logging into customers boxes and our product integrates with Active directory.

I deal with a great deal of people who have no business being admins but are and they don't know squat about their network or their DC's. So a recurring problem I deal with is my box trying to connect to IP's in their domain A record that are NOT valid DC's at all.

Can anyone think of any kind of test I could do to determine if an IP address is actually a Domain controller? Right now basically all I do is ping each IP that comes up and see if they respond. If they don't then I question their validity. But that isn't really all that accurate. As any server may respond to a ping and not be a DC. Or they may have ping turned off some thing.

I don't really need any details about the DC I just need to know if it is one or not.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is this a valid statement?

I need an if statement that recognizes whether files fitting a certain pattern exist in the current directory. Is this syntax valid: if ; then ... fi assuming that zero="0" and star="*". Is there a better way to write it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
3 Replies

2. Programming

valid code?

hey , everyone. I have a few questions about pieces of code and was wondering if someone could tell me what exactly they did or if they are even valid. bool1 && bool2 || bool3 <---in what order do these get processed? if (! isdigit(c)) <---What does this do? i = j % 3; <---what does this do?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

': not a valid identifier

I am trying to write a bash script. I am able to do simple things like pass arguments, assign variables and echo the results. However, when I try to declare and array or anything a little more complicated I get ': not a valid identifier Here is my code so far: #!/bin/bash echo start t... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: script123
7 Replies

4. Programming

is it valid output ?

#include <iostream> #include<stdio.h> using namespace std; class a { public: int xx; a() { cout << "in CONS a \n"; } ~a() { cout << "in DES a \n"; } }; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specified substitution not valid for

Experts, In a script i get the following error: The specified substitution is not valid for this command Do you have any idea what is wrong with it? TITLE="Code Checker" # Script Titel # EXT="_UA99" # Eind van dirnaam # FILE="job.dat" # Zoekbestandsnaam # SEARCH="returncode 0" #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: klaasjan
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Valid Name

Could someone help me by midnight tonight!!! Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Insert a reference to the Bourne shell as the command... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cody007
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is this valid tar statements ?

Hello every one, Is this a valid tar statement ? tar cv /dev/rmt/0 /etc tar cx /dev/rmt/0 /opt tar c /dev/rmt/0 and what is there effect ? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drdigital_m
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to see if a username is valid.

This is my task: The argument enter on the command line is a first and last name ( for example: "John Smith"). If the argument is a validly formatted name, you display The "name enter" is valid to standard out. If the argument is not a validly formated name, you display The "name enter" is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheRealNapsta
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PL/SQL: Specified Number Is Not Valid

Hi I have Unix shell script that invokes PL/SQL procedure. The batch job when executed terminated with the error message:-unlimited: The specified number is not valid for this command.Please let me know what is the root cause of the issue and how to fix the issue. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moonkhan1
1 Replies
DEAL(6) 							   Games Manual 							   DEAL(6)

NAME
deal - bridge hand generator SYNOPSIS
deal [ -ltv ] [ -e expr ] [ -i condition file ] [ -I format ] [ -s seed ] [ -[NSEW] hand-spec ] [ count ] DESCRIPTION
deal is a program to generate bridge hands. OPTIONS
-l Write deals in a "single-line" format. -t Print distribution table and exit. The distribution table is an ordered list of all possible hand patterns for a single hand. -v Be verbose, print sample count. -e expr Evaluate the Tcl expression expr. -i condition file File that defines the hand type to generate or the output format. (Can be given multiple times.) -I format Read hands from stdin. Formats available are: ddline, giblib, line, pbn, smartstack. You might deal, say, 10,000 hands which sat- isfy specific criteria, saving them to a file. Then you can use that output for input with deal -I to find out which hands satisfy other constraints. -s seed Initialize random generator with seed. -[NSEW] hand-spec Specifies the cards held by the specified hand. The hand-spec should be of the form: "AK8532 - KQ72 A65". Voids must be represented with a '-' character. hand-spec should be one argument, so the string should be quoted on the command line. count Number of hands to generate, default is 10. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/deal/html, /usr/share/deal. AUTHOR
deal was written by Thomas Andrews <deal@thomaso.best.vwh.net>. This manual page was written by Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). January 1, 2005 DEAL(6)