Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to write a shell script to connect to another server? Post 302415069 by Scott on Wednesday 21st of April 2010 04:34:12 PM
Old 04-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Thanks Corona for the reply.

The script I have written doesn't work.
There is an error message. I have tried in vain to rectify it.
Could you please look at it too?
Hi.

What's the error? And what's with all those asterisks? I was about to edit your post, fixing a couple of things along the way, to look more like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# ???? $ cat mycp
#

# copy a file

#

if [ "$#" -ne 2 ]
then
  echo "Usage: mycp from to"
  exit 1
fi

from="$1"

to="$2"

#
# See if the destination file exists
#

if [ -e "$to" ]
then
  echo "$to already exists; overwrite (yes/no)?"
  read answer

if [ "$answer" != yes ]
  then
    echo "Copy not performed"
    exit 0
  fi
fi

#
# Either destination doesn't exist or "yes" was typed
#

cp $from $to**** # proceed with the copy  # **** means?

but thought maybe I'd missed something!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for how to connect to a remote server by using ssh

i want to connect to a remote server through ssh. i have to also provide password within that script. after connecting to the remote server i want to do some operations like grep,cd etc can u pls help me to wite a script. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: millan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a shell script for rsync to remote server?

Hello, Can you help me to write a shell script for rsync a folder from my server to remote server ? i do this in ssh by this command : rsync -avz -e ssh /copy/me/ login@serverip:/where/to i want have a shell script that do this command. and you know that this command ask remote... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Desperados
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to connect to another server and copying files

Hi Unix Gurus, I have a doubt reg file transfer. I have used the below script to connect to another server and find files having modified for the last 24 hours and have to move the file to another server. While i tried i am getting authentication failed, destination path not found issue. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: incepted
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

connect to SQL server from shell script

Hi all, I need to connect to SQL server from shell script. Then need to execute queries from shell script. Kindly let me know on how to do this Thanks, Ananthi.U (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Hi all, I need to connect to SQL server from shell script. Then need to execute queries from shell script as below 1. To compare values of an array with SQL table's entry. Kindly let me know on how to do this Thanks, Double post. Continue here (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitbhelave
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi all, I need to connect to SQL server from shell script. Then need to execute queries from shell script as below 1. To compare values of an array with SQL table's entry. I am using solaris-5.1 to run shell script and want to connect to SQL-5.1 which is installed on SantOS. Kindly let... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitbhelave
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect (SSH) to Windows server via Linux server through a script and passing command.. but failing

I am trying to connect to Windows server via Linux server through a script and run two commands " cd and ls " But its giving me error saying " could not start the program" followed by the command name i specify e g : "cd" i am trying in this manner " ssh username@servername "cd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunil seelam
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to connect from one server to other

Dear Experts, I am new to the shell scripting. I am looking for a shell script to connect to one Unix/Linux server1 to other Unix/Linux server2 and trigger a SAP Event in that server2 (Which will trigger a job in SAP). Is this possible to connect from one server to the other server securely... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venu V Reddy
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to write if condition in shell script for application server?

Hi all, I have a code to create folder in application server through shell script and i want to create if conditional based folder folder=$HOME/test/sample/whatever if ; then echo "$folder already exists, not created." else mkdir -p "$folder" > /dev/null 2>&1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boost
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to connect to Oracle server from shell script

Hi, I am facing an issue in connecting to database from Linux shell script. Here is my code export ORACLE_BASE=xxx export ORACLE_SID=xxx export ORACLE_HOME=xxxx DB_PATH=xxx/'yyy@yy' UserId=`sqlplus -s $DB_PATH <<EOF set head off feedback off select max(USER_ID)+1 from USERS;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yuvi
6 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)