Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TCP port assignment
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting TCP port assignment Post 302415047 by timmylita on Wednesday 21st of April 2010 03:03:43 PM
Old 04-21-2010
TCP port assignment

I have multiple processes running the same program on my linux machine. For each process I want to be able to use a unique (available) TCP port. I have thought of using netstat to check which ports are available for use however, the time-window between checking and selecting might expose some race condition as other process might already snatch it... How can I accomplish this and avoid this situation in shell scripting?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

tcp problem with port

I am trying to connect via DBACCESS and Informix server to a server on a different computer. When I execute the connect command from dbaccess I get the following message, Exec format error cannot bind a name to the port. As far as I know the port is not being used by another client. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lopez
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting output to TCP port

Hi All, I suspect this is simple but I cannot find any info on it. I have a logfile on a solaris box (EMS) that I want to tail -f but I want the output of this to be redirected to a TCP port. I have a second solaris box (PEM) running patrol enterprise manager that I am using as an alarm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mscomms
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restrict tcp-port access

Hi Is there any way to restrict the TCP-IP port usage. I want to restrict TCP-IP port 1500/1550 to the oracle osuser. Tanks in advance. Remi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: remivisser
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Locked TCP port in Solaris 10

Hi all I haven't had much experience with Solaris 10 but we've started running into a problem where a process hangs, it is killed and leaves a zombie process. The sysadmins are saying this zombie process is locking a tcp port and not allowing the process to start up. The process is a usually... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: casphar
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

close tcp port

Hello, I have a service running (ODBC) and every now and then it will hang and I will have to stop and restart the service. The problem is when I stop the service, it indeed stops the service, but netstat reports a tcp port still open with the fin_wait_2 status. Then I must close the client... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidzero
1 Replies

6. Programming

Getting TCP Port status through C API

Does anyone know if there is a C API call to get the status of a TCP port? As opposed to running netstat and parsing the results. At the moment I have to attempt to bind() and pick up on the address in use error which isn't very elegant Thanks ---------- Post updated at 10:42 AM ----------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: janra
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

TCP port numbers reused

Hello all, I am loosing the diameter connection between two servers and when the connection is trying to comes up again i see the following message in the tracer. and after 1 second the connection resets. As far i know the connection stay in state TIME_WAIT for a while(60 seconds in my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @dagio
1 Replies

8. Programming

Using socket to test a TCP port

Hello, I'm trying to write a small c application to test a tcp port. This works fine for the most part but the default timeout on the connect is very long. I have been reading many posts but and it looks like I need to set the socket to be non-blocking and poll for a result. I have been totally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjones1105
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

Tcp ip port open but no such process (merged: Release A Port)

i want to kill a tcp connection by killing its pid with netstat -an i got the tcp ip connection on port 5914 but when i type ps -a or ps-e there is not such process running on port 5914 is it possible that because i do not log on with proper user account i can not see that process running? (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinamadchian
30 Replies

10. Linux

Port assignment

Hi all, I am currently working with SIP protocol. I have a node that is supposed to accept SIP invite. It should be listening on udp port 35060 but is not. Every 2.0s: netstat -an| grep 5060 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies
HOBBITD_CLIENT(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 HOBBITD_CLIENT(8)

NAME
hobbitd_client - hobbitd worker module for client data SYNOPSIS
hobbitd_channel --channel=client hobbitd_client [options] DESCRIPTION
hobbitd_client is a worker module for hobbitd, and as such it is normally run via the hobbitd_channel(8) program. It receives hobbitd client messages sent from systems that have the the Xymon client installed, and use the client data to generate the Xymon status messages for the cpu-, disk-, memory- and procs-columns. It also feeds Xymon data messages with the netstat- and vmstat-data collected by the client. When generating these status messages from the client data, hobbitd_client will use the configuration rules defined in the hobbit- clients.cfg(5) file to determine the color of each status message. OPTIONS
--clear-color=COLOR Define the color used when sending "msgs", "files" or "ports" reports and there are no rules to check for these statuses. The default is to show a "clear" status, but some people prefer to have it "green". If you would rather prefer not to see these status columns at all, then you can use the "--no-clear-msgs", "--no-clear-files" and "--no-clear-ports" options instead. --no-clear-msgs If there are no logfile checks, the "msgs" column will show a "clear" status. If you would rather avoid having a "msgs" column, this option causes hobbitd_client to not send in a clear "msgs" status. --no-clear-files If there are no file checks, the "files" column will show a "clear" status. If you would rather avoid having a "files" column, this option causes hobbitd_client to not send in a clear "files" status. --no-clear-ports If there are no port checks, the "ports" column will show a "clear" status. If you would rather avoid having a "ports" column, this option causes hobbitd_client to not send in a clear "ports" status. --no-ps-listing Normally the "procs" status message includes the full process-listing received from the client. If you prefer to just have the moni- tored processes shown, this option will turn off the full ps-listing. --no-port-listing Normally the "ports" status message includes the full netstat-listing received from the client. If you prefer to just have the moni- tored ports shown, this option will turn off the full netstat-listing. --config=FILENAME Sets the filename for the hobbit-clients.cfg file. The default value is "etc/hobbit-clients.cfg" below the Xymon server directory. --dump-config Dumps the configuration after parsing it. May be useful to track down problems with configuration file errors. --test Starts an interactive session where you can test the hobbit-clients.cfg configuration. --debug Enable debugging output. FILES
~xymon/server/etc/hobbit-clients.cfg SEE ALSO
hobbit-clients.cfg(5), hobbitd(8), hobbitd_channel(8), xymon(7) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 HOBBITD_CLIENT(8)