Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can I pipe stderr to another process Post 302414983 by chebarbudo on Wednesday 21st of April 2010 12:24:43 PM
Old 04-21-2010
Thanks alister for offering to help.
I thought it would be embarassing to ask for help on an entire project that's why I only posted questions on specific issues.
My whole point is to parse a config file when running my script.

The config file looks like this:
Code:
PATHS_TO_WATCH	/home/ /var/www/
LIMITED_TRANSFER_RATE	800

My current script does that:
Code:
# Read config files...
eval $(while read option value; do
	echo "$option=\"$value\""
done)
# Continue with the script...

It roughly works like this but what would happen if the config file contains either mistakes (variable name with dashes) or weird values (path with space)?
Code:
PATHS_TO_WATCH	/home/ /var/www/ "/some/path/with space"
LIMITED-TRANSFER-RATE	800

How would you do that your way?
Or maybe you know of any program that does that for us!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stderr in background process

Herez the question, In a process which writes into file FILE1 with descriptor fHandler1 and it is run as a background process where would statements be directed when stderr descriptor is used. fprintf(stderr,"some message\n"); assume that session from which it is run is terminated and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

2. Programming

sychronize process using pipe?

can pipe sychronize thread or process? because I'm trying to create 5 thread or process that can take an integer value and display it. each time a thread display the value, it has to be decrement it by 1 until the value has reach 0. The problem that I'm having is how can that integer value be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saipkjai
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX 5.3 - There is no process to read data written to a pipe

I have the following code which works on AIX 4.3 but fails at times on AIX 5.3 with: cat: 0652-054 cannot write to output. There is no process to read data written to a pipe. validator="${validator_exe} ${validator_parms}" cmd_line="${CAT} ${data_file} | ${validator}... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigsgb
6 Replies

4. Linux

Can background process access to stdout,stderr

Hi folks :) Can deamonized process access to stderr, stdout? I 'm trying to display error_num/return value of a function run() in stderr using fprintf(stderr, "function run() returns = %d", ret_val); run() is called after deamonizing the process. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: katty
1 Replies

5. Programming

Two way Pipe Process

Hi.. I am hoping someone could assist me with the pipe program I wrote below. I want to have communication from parent to child and then child to parent.. Is my logic right? int p,p1; pipe(p); pipe(p1); pid_t pid = fork(); if(pid == 0) { close(p); close(p1); dup2(p,0);... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: therome
1 Replies

6. AIX

Tape drive problem - no process to read data written to a pipe

Hi Everyone, The machine I'm working on is an AIX 5.3 LPAR running on a P650. oslevel -r shows 5300-08. I'm trying to take a backup to a SCSI tape drive, which has been working up until this point. I know of nothing that has changed recently to cause this problem. But when I try to take a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: need2bageek
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No process to read data written to a pipe on AIX

We use SAP application cluster on AIX. Communication between 2 of its instances is failing randomly with the following error: java.net.SocketException: There is no process to read data written to a pipe. The above error causes a cluster restart if an important communication fails. Can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
0 Replies

8. Programming

Communicate with multiple process using named pipe

how to read and write on pipes to communicate with each other? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimesh
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot make pipe for process substitution: Too many open files

Hi, I've came across an issue with a script I've been writing to check DHCP addresses on an Solaris system, the script has been running reasonably well, until it hit the following problem: ./sub_mon_v2: redirection error: cannot duplicate fd: Too many open files ./sub_mon_v2: cannot make... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CiCa
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using pipe command between process and concatenate

Dear all, I use a pipe command to assign a variable: $ v_LstStdCdhId=$(cat Bteq_Xport_GetLstStdViewToBuild__1274.txt | grep 'CD/39/AT/CDH_BV_ODS'|cut -d"/" -f1) $ echo "${v_LstStdCdhId}" 43 49 My aim is to concatenate for each line of the variable v_LstStdCdhId the character "/" in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
3 Replies
Locale::Script(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       Locale::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Script(3pm)