Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find a pattern and print next all character to next space Post 302414980 by pierrebjarnfelt on Thursday 22nd of April 2010 01:47:19 AM
Old 04-22-2010
Thanks.
I'll giv it a try.

I forgot to tell you what I am trying to do this on a Windows machine with UnxUtils "installed".

Your right!!!
I will do better in the future to show what I have done.
I'm new to scripting in shell code.

I have tried the following code without any real progress.Smilie

Code:
cat file.txt |gawk "match($0,/*IP=/){print substr($0,RSTART+4,15) "IP" }"

The problem is that I want to print to the next white space... not only 15 characters...

/Pierre

---------- Post updated 22-04-10 at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous update was 21-04-10 at 11:15 AM ----------

Hi Again,

Due to the fact that I'm is forced to work with windows I can't get it to work.
I have changed the ' to " and I still donsen't work.
I think it has to be somthing with the windows formating.

Code:
sed -n "s/.*\*IP=\([^ ]*\) .*$/\1/p" /path/to/inputfile

Result:

/Pierre

edit by bakunin: i edited into the text the code-tags you should have used yourself when posting code or code-snippets. Thanks for doing this yourself from now on.

Last edited by bakunin; 04-22-2010 at 08:26 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print range of lines using sed when pattern has special character "["

Hi, My input has much more lines, but few of them are below pin(IDF) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : signal; pin(SELDIV6) { direction : input; drc_pinsigtype : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print characters till the next space when the pattern is found

i have a file which contains alphanumeric data in every line. what i need is the data after certain pattern. the data after the pattern is not of fixed length so i need the data till the space after the pattern. Input file: bfdkasfbdfg khffkf lkdhfhdf pattern (datarequired data not required)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find pattern in file and print

Hello, I want to read a CSV file and look for a pattern on each line. If the pattern is found I want to read another portion/column of that line and print that. Can somebody help me in writing it in CSH? E.g. CSV file has following lines, 1,Elephant,500kg,,,,, 2,Tiger,50kg,,,,,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deshiashish
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print pattern regardless of space between

I have this content in file sshd : ALL : allow SSHD : all : ALLOW sshD : All : AllOW What I need is to print the occurrence of "sshd:all" regardless of the spaces between them and if lower/upper case. So all lines should be printed in output when "grepped" or "printed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print character after pattern found

Hi Gurus, i need your help to create a script the will print a characters after the pattern was found. Sample lines are below: My birthday:"1977-16-07", My birthday:"1975-16-07" My birthday:"1970-16-07". My patter should be "birthday:", then i want to print the following characters which... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter123
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk Find Pattern Print Lines Before and After

Using grep I can easily use: cvs log |grep -iB 10 -A 10 'date: 2013-10-30' to display search results and 10 lines before and after. How can this be accompished using gawk? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find key pattern and print selected lines for each record

Hi, I need help on a complicated file that I am working on. I wanted to extract important info from a very huge file. It is space delimited file. I have hundred thousands of records in this file. An example content of the inputfile as below:- ## ID Ser402 Old; 23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find matched pattern and print all based on certain conditions

Hi, I am trying to extract data based on certain conditions. My sample input file as below:- lnc-2:1 OnePiece tra_law 500 688 1 . . g_id "R792.8417"# tra_law_id "R792.8417.1"# g_line "2.711647"# KM "8.723820"# lnc-2:1 OnePiece room 500 510 1 . . g_id "R792.8417"# tra_law_id "R792.8417.1"#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunny_merah19
7 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)