Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with sending email(to include contents of text file) Post 302414921 by hergp on Wednesday 21st of April 2010 10:05:45 AM
Old 04-21-2010
Well, something must have changed between the mailx command and der recipients mailbox. We have to check all steps to see, where things go wrong.

The first step ist the mailx command, which does not output any errors. OK.

The next is your local MDA. Please check its logfile (like /var/log/syslog on Solaris or /var/log/mail.log on Linux). Are there any traces of your mail in this log, especially if the mail was delivered to the next upstream mailserver? A message like "Mail accepted" would indicate, that the problem is not on the sending server.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending email with text & attachment using mailx

I spent some time working this out, with a little help from various forums, and thought the community would like to know : Here is how you can send an email from a single Unix command line : /usr/bin/echo "Email text\nNew line\nAnother new line" >x | uuencode sourcefile.txt sourcefile.txt |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haryadoon
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have some problem in sending an email, please help me.

Hi, I am writing a kornshell script, once the successful completion of the script I need to send an email with body of a text along with an attachment. But i couldnt able to send an email with both body of the text and attachment at the same time in unix. The following is the code i tried, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheethal
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to send contents of a file to email as a message

i have a file new1.txt i want to send the contents of that file as a message to email ali@sms.com i m using ksh script......... plz help me (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending email and attachment file using Perl

I am trying to send an email body of information and also attachment using perl script, but I am only able to send the body but not an attachment. is there around it without using "use MIME::Lite;" module. $user = "bataf\@xyz.com"; $subjectt = "mail from perl"; open(MAIL, "| mailx -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bataf
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to attach text in body of email while sending mail with attachment

Hi, We have been trying to send mail with attachment and it is going fine, but when we try to attach a text to the body of the email, we find that the mail is going fine with the body text but the attachment is not going through. We are using ksh. The command that is successfull without the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmathew99
6 Replies

6. Programming

perl - problem sending text with delimiter

Hello, i encountered this in perl but it might be command line related as well: i am sending text as an argument to echo command on remote computer. if the text has alphanumeric characters only, say 'hello world' all is well. if however text has metacharachters, e.g. 'hello | world' or even... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ole111
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Attaching .csv file and sending email

I need help with writing a shell script for writing data from a table into a .csv file and send the file has email attachment. I stuck up with attaching the file to the email. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Beena
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending email in case of file not found

Hi, In the shell script, i want to do sftp and go to a directory and check if a particular file is present, if not i send an email with some error message. Please guide me about how i could achieve it...." (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sJohn
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending a file as an attachment to email

The file is located under appl/batchdata/ file name: storesales.txt I am using following code because uuencode is not present. I am not getting the data in file but i am getting the blank file with same name as an email attachment. ( echo "from: sch@xxxx.com" echo "to:sch@xxxx.com" echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skatpally
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending email with file names

i need to send an email to users on the files being loaded...how can i achieve this? say, my source file directory has 2 files file1.txt file2.txt I just want to send an email saying these files were loaded...Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
1 Replies
comsat(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 comsat(8)

NAME
comsat - The biff server SYNOPSIS
comsat DESCRIPTION
The comsat server receives reports of incoming mail and notifies users who request this service. comsat is invoked by the inetd(8) daemon when it receives messages on a datagram port associated with the biff(1) service specification in /etc/services(4). The datagram contains a 1-line message of the form: user@mailbox-offset If the user specified is logged in and the associated terminal has the owner execute bit turned on (with biff y), offset is used as a seek offset into the file named in mailbox. The first 7 lines or 560 characters of the mes- sage are printed on the user's system. The message excludes mail header lines other than the From or Subject lines. The comsat command always tries to convert incoming mail messages from the mail interchange codeset to the user's application codeset. It determines the mail interchange code first by checking the mail message itself to see if it contains the required information. Otherwise, the system-wide default mail interchange code in the file /usr/lib/mail-codesets will be used. If no such system file exists, no codeset conversion will be performed. The determination of the user's application code in each terminal session is by one of the following methods. The application codeset defined in the user's Asian tty driver. The codeset name stored in the ~/.codesetdevname file, where devname is the name of the terminal device for the current terminal session. You can obtain the value of devname by issuing the tty command. For example, if the tty command returns /dev/ttys8, use ttys8 as the value for devname. The lang valued option defined in $HOME/.mailrc or /usr/share/lib/Mail.rc. FILES
Specifies the command path. Includes information about logged-in users and their associated ttys. File containing mailx subcommands to customize mailx for a specific user. File containing mailx subcommands to change mailx for all users on the system. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: biff(1), inetd(8), mailx(1), mh(1) Files: services(4), inetd.conf(4), tty(7) delim off comsat(8)