Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can I pipe stderr to another process Post 302414882 by alister on Wednesday 21st of April 2010 07:51:00 AM
Old 04-21-2010
In what folllows, it's important to realize that pipe redirection occurs before any other redirections specified by a command.

You can redirect stderror into a pipe thusly:
Code:
$ command="date; twenty-four=24"
$ eval $command 2>&1 | sed 's/^/stdout and stderr from pipe: /'
stdout and stderr from pipe: Wed Apr 21 07:59:39 EDT 2010
stdout and stderr from pipe: -bash: twenty-four=24: command not found

Note, however, that standard output (from the date command) is still going into that pipe as well. If you don't want stdout to go into the pipe, and instead go to whereever stdout was going before the pipe redirection, before executing the eval pipeline, you can save the original, pre-pipe stdout destination in a file descriptor.

Code:
$ exec 3>&1
$ eval $command 2>&1 1>&3 | sed 's/^/stderr from pipe: /'
Wed Apr 21 08:00:13 EDT 2010
stderr from pipe: -bash: twenty-four=24: command not found

Note that the date command's output did not go through sed, but directly to the terminal, in essence, the usual stdout/stderr behavior of a pipe redirection have been flipped.

Also, it's always a good idea to close file descriptors when they're no longer needed (particularly when using an interactive shell or a long-lived shell-script):
Code:
$ exec 3>&-

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 04-21-2010 at 09:00 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stderr in background process

Herez the question, In a process which writes into file FILE1 with descriptor fHandler1 and it is run as a background process where would statements be directed when stderr descriptor is used. fprintf(stderr,"some message\n"); assume that session from which it is run is terminated and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

2. Programming

sychronize process using pipe?

can pipe sychronize thread or process? because I'm trying to create 5 thread or process that can take an integer value and display it. each time a thread display the value, it has to be decrement it by 1 until the value has reach 0. The problem that I'm having is how can that integer value be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saipkjai
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX 5.3 - There is no process to read data written to a pipe

I have the following code which works on AIX 4.3 but fails at times on AIX 5.3 with: cat: 0652-054 cannot write to output. There is no process to read data written to a pipe. validator="${validator_exe} ${validator_parms}" cmd_line="${CAT} ${data_file} | ${validator}... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigsgb
6 Replies

4. Linux

Can background process access to stdout,stderr

Hi folks :) Can deamonized process access to stderr, stdout? I 'm trying to display error_num/return value of a function run() in stderr using fprintf(stderr, "function run() returns = %d", ret_val); run() is called after deamonizing the process. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: katty
1 Replies

5. Programming

Two way Pipe Process

Hi.. I am hoping someone could assist me with the pipe program I wrote below. I want to have communication from parent to child and then child to parent.. Is my logic right? int p,p1; pipe(p); pipe(p1); pid_t pid = fork(); if(pid == 0) { close(p); close(p1); dup2(p,0);... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: therome
1 Replies

6. AIX

Tape drive problem - no process to read data written to a pipe

Hi Everyone, The machine I'm working on is an AIX 5.3 LPAR running on a P650. oslevel -r shows 5300-08. I'm trying to take a backup to a SCSI tape drive, which has been working up until this point. I know of nothing that has changed recently to cause this problem. But when I try to take a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: need2bageek
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No process to read data written to a pipe on AIX

We use SAP application cluster on AIX. Communication between 2 of its instances is failing randomly with the following error: java.net.SocketException: There is no process to read data written to a pipe. The above error causes a cluster restart if an important communication fails. Can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
0 Replies

8. Programming

Communicate with multiple process using named pipe

how to read and write on pipes to communicate with each other? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimesh
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot make pipe for process substitution: Too many open files

Hi, I've came across an issue with a script I've been writing to check DHCP addresses on an Solaris system, the script has been running reasonably well, until it hit the following problem: ./sub_mon_v2: redirection error: cannot duplicate fd: Too many open files ./sub_mon_v2: cannot make... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CiCa
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using pipe command between process and concatenate

Dear all, I use a pipe command to assign a variable: $ v_LstStdCdhId=$(cat Bteq_Xport_GetLstStdViewToBuild__1274.txt | grep 'CD/39/AT/CDH_BV_ODS'|cut -d"/" -f1) $ echo "${v_LstStdCdhId}" 43 49 My aim is to concatenate for each line of the variable v_LstStdCdhId the character "/" in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
3 Replies
PROC_OPEN(3)								 1							      PROC_OPEN(3)

proc_open - Execute a command and open file pointers for input/output

SYNOPSIS
resource proc_open (string $cmd, array $descriptorspec, array &$pipes, [string $cwd], [array $env], [array $other_options]) DESCRIPTION
proc_open(3) is similar to popen(3) but provides a much greater degree of control over the program execution. PARAMETERS
o $cmd - The command to execute o $descriptorspec - An indexed array where the key represents the descriptor number and the value represents how PHP will pass that descriptor to the child process. 0 is stdin, 1 is stdout, while 2 is stderr. Each element can be: oAn array describing the pipe to pass to the process. The first element is the descriptor type and the second element is an option for the given type. Valid types are pipe (the second element is either r to pass the read end of the pipe to the process, or w to pass the write end) and file (the second element is a filename). o A stream resource representing a real file descriptor (e.g. opened file, a socket, STDIN). The file descriptor numbers are not limited to 0, 1 and 2 - you may specify any valid file descriptor number and it will be passed to the child process. This allows your script to interoperate with other scripts that run as "co-processes". In particular, this is useful for passing passphrases to programs like PGP, GPG and openssl in a more secure manner. It is also useful for reading status information provided by those programs on auxiliary file descriptors. o $pipes - Will be set to an indexed array of file pointers that correspond to PHP's end of any pipes that are created. o $cwd - The initial working dir for the command. This must be an absolute directory path, or NULL if you want to use the default value (the working dir of the current PHP process) o $env - An array with the environment variables for the command that will be run, or NULL to use the same environment as the current PHP process o $other_options - Allows you to specify additional options. Currently supported options include: o suppress_errors (windows only): suppresses errors generated by this function when it's set to TRUE o bypass_shell (windows only): bypass cmd.exe shell when set to TRUE RETURN VALUES
Returns a resource representing the process, which should be freed using proc_close(3) when you are finished with it. On failure returns FALSE. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.2.1 | | | | | | | Added the bypass_shell option to the | | | $other_options parameter. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A proc_open(3) example <?php $descriptorspec = array( 0 => array("pipe", "r"), // stdin is a pipe that the child will read from 1 => array("pipe", "w"), // stdout is a pipe that the child will write to 2 => array("file", "/tmp/error-output.txt", "a") // stderr is a file to write to ); $cwd = '/tmp'; $env = array('some_option' => 'aeiou'); $process = proc_open('php', $descriptorspec, $pipes, $cwd, $env); if (is_resource($process)) { // $pipes now looks like this: // 0 => writeable handle connected to child stdin // 1 => readable handle connected to child stdout // Any error output will be appended to /tmp/error-output.txt fwrite($pipes[0], '<?php print_r($_ENV); ?>'); fclose($pipes[0]); echo stream_get_contents($pipes[1]); fclose($pipes[1]); // It is important that you close any pipes before calling // proc_close in order to avoid a deadlock $return_value = proc_close($process); echo "command returned $return_value "; } ?> The above example will output something similar to: Array ( [some_option] => aeiou [PWD] => /tmp [SHLVL] => 1 [_] => /usr/local/bin/php ) command returned 0 NOTES
Note Windows compatibility: Descriptors beyond 2 (stderr) are made available to the child process as inheritable handles, but since the Windows architecture does not associate file descriptor numbers with low-level handles, the child process does not (yet) have a means of accessing those handles. Stdin, stdout and stderr work as expected. Note If you only need a uni-directional (one-way) process pipe, use popen(3) instead, as it is much easier to use. SEE ALSO
popen(3), exec(3), system(3), passthru(3), stream_select(3), The backtick operator. PHP Documentation Group PROC_OPEN(3)