Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with for loop and a variable with spaces...Hi Post 302414879 by radoulov on Wednesday 21st of April 2010 07:45:50 AM
Old 04-21-2010
Some shells support arrays.

For example zsh, bash and ksh93 support this syntax:

Code:
sentence=(un "deux trois")
for w in "${sentence[@]}"; do
  printf '%s\n' "$w"
done

With the Bourne shell, you can use something like this (you'll loose any previously set positional parameters):

Code:
set -- un "deux trois"
for w in "$@"; do
  printf '%s\n' "$w"
done

Some shells support the following shortcut in this context:

Code:
set -- un "deux trois"
for w; do
  printf '%s\n' "$w"
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variable expension using for loop.

Hi, I have a problem with expending variables when used in a for loop: #!/bin/ksh VAR1=aaa VAR2=bbb VAR3=ccc for ITEM in VAR1 VAR2 VAR3 do echo "${ITEM}" done This gives: VAR1 VAR2 VAR3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable problem in for loop with if statement

Hi, Again a little problem. Do not understand good why an empty string is not detected. Here is the program: #!/bin/ksh APR=`date | grep Apr | awk '{print $2$3}'` MAY=`date | grep May | awk '{print $2$3}'` JUN=`date | grep Jun | awk '{print $2$3}'` echo "Variable Apr has value:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop using find with file name spaces

Hello All, This question is actually for the service console of VMware ESX 3.5 but is relevant to this forum I think. I have been advised to use the following commands: for i in `find /vmfs/volumes/Test_VMFS/ -name "*.vmx"` do echo "$i" #sed -i 's/scsi1:0.present =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mronsman
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop ( string having spaces )

Dear All, i facing problem to use string having spaces in for loop.. file used for FOR LOOP command.txt rpm -t -v ttm -D -r RJLL -h YELP rpm -t -v ttm -D -r RJLL -h ERRT rpm -t -v ttm -D -r RJLL -h TYYE rpm -t -v ttm -D -r RJLL -h POOL CODE using for execute above command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell - Problem with while loop variable scope.

Hello I am having issues with a script I'm working on developing on a Solaris machine. The script is intended to find out how many times a particular user (by given userid) has logged into the local system for more than one hour today. Here is my while loop: last $user | grep -v 'sshd'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DaveRich
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with Find—damn spaces!

Hi Guys, I'm trying to find all files with a particular extension and then loop some actions. The problem is that if the files have spaces in their names I get end up being each word as a separate result rather than the entire file. ext=".txt" out=".rtf" for i in $( find "$1" -name "*$ext" );... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: imonkey
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable concatenation through loop problem

Hi Team!! Please can anyone tell me why the following line does not work properly? str3+=$str2 it seems that str3 variable does not keep its value in order to be concatenated in the next iteration! Thus when i print the result of the line above it returns the str2 value What i want to do is to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: paladinaeon
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk: problem for loop through variable

Hi, input: AAA|1 my script (the function is just an example): gawk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="|"} function repeat(str, n, rep, i){ for(i=1; i<=n; i++) rep=rep str return rep } { variable_1=repeat($1,$2) variable_2=repeat($1,$2+1) variable_3=repeat($1,$2+3) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)