Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl-opening a file then copying files Post 302414817 by thegeek on Wednesday 21st of April 2010 04:55:17 AM
Old 04-21-2010
where are you opening a file for read ? normally that should be using <.

where are you going through the file to read ? normally that should be using while.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files from file to another

How do I copy one file from one unix file to another??? I'm new at this, please help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tevin
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - copying files

Folks, here is my code: I am a serious newbie, why doesn't this make copies of my files? I dont get any errors, the files are just not created. Your help is appreciated #!/usr/bin/perl use File::Copy; $PWD = `pwd`; $REPORTDIR = "/usr/local/tripwire/tfs/report"; chdir $REPORTDIR;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Files and checking contents in Perl

Hi All, I need some expert help in performing the following in Perl. I have a code below but it doesn;t seem to work. Can any expert give me some advice? Below are the requirements 1) Open numerous files assigned to an array @FILES. Note that the files are always named with the term... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Mulitple files using For loop in Perl

Hi All, I have a total of ten file to open in the Perl script and i am using a for loop to open each file and capture some strings inside each file. Unfortunately, i encounter the below syntax error. I think there should be something wrong with this term reports_${counting}_${_}.txt but i do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening File names with spaces inside it !- PERL

I developed a perl code..And the excerpt from it is given below... open(HANDLE,$cmp_path) ; #reading the xml file from the file path while($file_path = <HANDLE>) I have list of XML files to read from a folder. It has some spaces inside the name of the file...I used "\"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Opening Files based on a file list

I'd like to grep files for key words using korn shell, and compile the actual contents (not just file name) of those files that contain a combination of those grepped key words into one repository file for reference. However, I'm stuck at the combining part. Here's what I have thus far: egrep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drumminfool91
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening a file in perl

Hi I need to open a file if a condition(for example a if a regular expression) is met. How do i do this ? open (file) if (some regex)..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manutd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a message in file without opening it in perl

Hello friends, i have a perl script as below ... for (0 ..$#values) { ##want to print some message here in Report.txt file print `find /abc/xyz/pqr/$values" -type f -ls` >> Report.txt } I am able to get output of print `find /abc/xyz/pqr/$values" -type f -ls` >> Report.txt in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : copying only the latest file to other directory

In linux.. In a directory there are 3 files which I want to copy only the latest file (ls -ltr myfiles*.txt|tail -1) to other directory in perl? Could anyone please help me with the code? Regards, J (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - Copying ONLY files from one dir to another

I'm writing a Perl script which has its 1st step as to copy files from one directory to another directory. The Source directory has got files with extension, without extension, directories etc. But I want to copy ONLY files with no extension. The files with extensions and directories should not get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhamaks
2 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitBarewordFileHUsereContributed Perl DocPerl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitBarewordFileHandles(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitBarewordFileHandles - Write "open my $fh, q{<}, $filename;" instead of "open FH, q{<}, $filename;". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Using bareword symbols to refer to file handles is particularly evil because they are global, and you have no idea if that symbol already points to some other file handle. You can mitigate some of that risk by "local"izing the symbol first, but that's pretty ugly. Since Perl 5.6, you can use an undefined scalar variable as a lexical reference to an anonymous filehandle. Alternatively, see the IO::Handle or IO::File or FileHandle modules for an object-oriented approach. open FH, '<', $some_file; #not ok open my $fh, '<', $some_file; #ok my $fh = IO::File->new($some_file); #ok There are three exceptions: STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR. These three standard filehandles are always package variables. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
IO::Handle IO::File AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitBarewordFileHandles(3)