Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trying to capitalize first letter of every word in Variable Post 302414635 by randyharris on Tuesday 20th of April 2010 03:15:06 PM
Old 04-20-2010
Trying to capitalize first letter of every word in Variable

Total Bash noob, have been successful in doing my script by searching and looking at examples, but I need some assitance with this one, just can't figure it out.

In the Bash script I am trying to capitalize the first letter of every word in a string, ideally not changing other capitalization.

An example:
StartingVariable="NZ is the code for New Zealand"
NewVariable="NZ Is The Code For New Zealand"

If the only choice is title case then I'll go that route which would result NZ becoming Nz. Ultimately I can't figure out how to do either.

I did find a similar discussion here:
[SOLVED] 'tr' command working in console but not in bash script - Ubuntu Forums
And while it did echo the Title Case to the terminal, I couldn't figure out how to set a variable to that output.

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Thanks.

Randy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to filter the words, if that word contains the expected letter

Hi, I am trying to filter the words from a file which contain 'abc'. But I am unable to. Could any one help me. For eg: The file contents are 123ab 12hnj1 123abc456 123cgbcahjkf23 23134abchfhj43 gc32abc abc1 2abc3 sd uiguif fhwe 21242 uh123 jkcas124d123 u3hdbh23u ffsd8 Output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_eie
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

First letter of each Word from a line

Hello All, I am new to UNIX, how do i get the First letter of each Word from a line in shell scripting. For Example line = "The Jack In The Box" I want to reterive The letters T for The, J from Jack, I from In, T from The and B from Box. and store in another string. Can anyone... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxmave
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching a letter in a word

hi, if i have a string of letters and seperatly i have a single letter. how do i check whether that specific letter is in my string aswell? any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Furqan_79
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking letter from a word

Hi All, I am new to UNIX and i am trying to write a script.My requirement is that from the following logs i need to get the following outputs: abc_lifecycle.log bcde_enjoy.log abc_twinkle.log Output expecting: lifecycle enjoy twinkle Could you please help me in getting this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JeiPrakash
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set the last 4 letter in the filename as a variable

Hi all, I want to set the last 4 letter in the filename as a variable. For example, i have AB1234.txt file and i need to have last 4 letter as a variable. It should be like ; get last four letter set var = 1234 How can i write this in C shell?? Thanks, zibi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zibi
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert to upper case first letter of each word in column 2

Hi guys, I have a file separated by ",". I´m trying to change to upper case the first letter of each word in column 2 to establish a standard format on this column. I hope somebody could help me to complete the SED or AWK script below. The file looks like this: (Some lines in column 2... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get letter from number and assign to a variable

Hi to all in forum, I'm trying to convert the letter number between 1 (A) and 26 (Z), that part is working, my issue is how to assign the printf output to a variable:LetterNumber=10 printf "\x$(printf %x $((${LetterNumber}+64)))" $ J #The problem, how to assign printf output (J in this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED (or other) upper to lowercase, with first letter of first word in each sentence uppercase

The title pretty much defines the problem. I have text files that are all in caps. I would like to convert them to lowercase, but have the first letter of the first word in each sentence in uppercase. I already have SED on the server for fixing / tweaking text files, but I'm open to other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dockline
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting letter as variable

I need to pass letter like "c" for "-copy" and need to read by variable $sel_mod, My I know the good way of writing the script. Example: Select one of the Clone Mode ( '-copy', '-differential', '-precopy', '-nopcopy') Type the Clone mode : c Thanks in advance, Ashan ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashanabey
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing word and Capitalize words after

I have an assignment and I am not sure what to do. In Unix, I use PuTTY change the semicolon (;) to a period, and capitalize the first letter of the word immediately after it. I know change command is M-% and "." so only one semicolon is changed but I am not sure how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kathrut43
1 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)