Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sending mail
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sending mail Post 302414458 by bsnithin on Tuesday 20th of April 2010 07:52:26 AM
Old 04-20-2010
You can write a script with mailx command to email the log file. This script needs to be scheduled using crontab.
-Nithin.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending a mail to a mail client

Hi everyone! I'm trying to create a database monitoring script that reads an alert file and sends an error message if it can 'grep' a particular string. Is there a way to send this message to a mail client using SMTP? Even better, is there any place on this site that has these kinds of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris73
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending mail

How do I send an email with a subject and an attachment from a command prompt? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskarica
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail sending

Dear all, how can i send mail using mailx or mail command?do i need to configure anything for sending mail?please help me.Its urgent. the version i use is Linux TDM 2.4.21-4.EL #1 Fri Oct 3 18:13:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Thanks Regards, Pankaj (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: panknil
15 Replies

4. HP-UX

hp ux not sending mail

Hi.. In Hp ux box,, mails are not being sent. they are getting queued up in mail queue. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkhan
3 Replies

5. Ubuntu

help sending mail

Hi, I have kubuntu 8.10 and I would like to configure Ubuntu to can send mail from command line with mailx. I've saw that I need to install a MTA. But I don't know with install and how. Do you know some howto or url where I find how could I configure it? Many thanks and sorry for my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mierdatuti
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending mail

i want to send an email from the unix machine to the windows machine. now windows dont have any specified folder for the mail. mail has to be sent to the email-id like abc@xyz.com unix machine itself can not directly send mail. it has to be transferred via mail server. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: parmeet
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop sending mail after certain number of mail

Hi guys... I am busy writing a script to notify me via an mail if my application is down. I have done that. Now I want this script to stop sending mails after five mails were sent but the script should keep on checking the application. When the application is up again that count should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending Mail

Hi All, I have a script that looks like this: *********** #!/bin/sh -x cd /u01/app/oracle/diag/rdbms/spdb/spdb/trace cat alert_spdb.log|grep Archiver >/dev/null if ; then mailx -s "Archiver message in Alert log" user@email.com fi ************ Im using the -x option to see any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oradba888
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail

How can i send a mail when user login in unix ENV. How can i know present use mailID?? Moved out of Contact Us Forum - Please Do Not Post Technical Questions in Non-Technical Forum(s) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arun508.gatike
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Problems sending mail: Difference between Mail and Mailx?

Whats the difference between mail and mailx? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I can send mail from server A with this `echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$SUBJECT" -r $FROM $RECIPIENTS` command but executing the same command from server B throws me this error (Both servers are RHEL) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
1 Replies
CONTROL.CTL(5)							File Formats Manual						    CONTROL.CTL(5)

NAME
control.ctl - specify handling of Usenet control messages DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/news/control.ctl is used to determine what action is taken when a control message is received. It is read by the parsecon- trol script, which is called by all the control scripts. (For an explanation of how the control scripts are invoked, see innd(8).) The file consists of a series of lines; blank lines and lines beginning with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines consist of four fields separated by a colon: message:from:newsgroups:action The first field is the name of the message for which this line is valid. It should be either the name of the control message, or the word ``all'' to mean that it is valid for all messages. The second field is a shell-style pattern that matches the email address of the person posting the message. (The poster's address is first converted to lowercase.) The matching is done using the shell's case statement; see sh (1) for details. If the control message is ``newgroup'' or ``rmgroup'' then the third field specifies the shell-style pattern that must match the group being created or removed. If the control message is of a different type, then this field is ignored. The fourth field specifies what action to take if this line is selected for the message. The following actions are understood: doit The action requested by the control message should be performed. In most cases the control script will also send mail to usenet. doifarg If the control message has an argument, this is treated as a ``doit'' action. If no argument was given, it is treated as a ``mail'' entry. This is used in ``sendsys'' entries script so that a site can request its own newsfeeds(5) entry by posting a ``sendsys mysite'' article. On the other hand, sendsys ``bombs'' ask that the entire newsfeeds file be sent to a forged reply-to address; by using ``doifarg'' such messages will not be processed automatically. doit=file The action is performed, but a log entry is written to the specified log file, file. If file is the word ``mail'' then the record is mailed. A null string is equivalent to /dev/null. A pathname that starts with a slash is taken as the absolute filename to use as the log. All other pathnames are written to /var/log/news/file.log. The log is written by writelog (see newslog(8)). drop No action is taken; the message is ignored. log A one-line log notice is sent to standard error. Innd normally directs this to the file /var/log/news/errlog. log=file A log entry is written to the specified log file, file, which is interpreted as described above. mail A mail message is sent to the news administrator. Lines are matched in order; the last match found in the file is the one that is used. For example, with the following three lines: newgroup:*:*:drop newgroup:tale@*.uu.net:comp.*|misc.*|news.*|rec.*|sci.*|soc.*|talk.*:doit newgroup:kre@munnari.oz.au:aus.*:mail A newgroup coming from ``tale'' at a UUNET machine will be honored if it is in the mainstream Usenet hierarchy. If ``kre'' posts a new- group message creating ``aus.foo'', then mail will be sent. All other newgroup messages are ignored. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.8, dated 1996/09/06. SEE ALSO
innd(8), newsfeeds(5), scanlogs(8). CONTROL.CTL(5)