Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help to mass rename files Post 302414324 by bakunin on Monday 19th of April 2010 10:52:32 PM
Old 04-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzy
001-actualsongname1.mp3
002-actualsongname2.mp3
003-actualsongname3.mp3

So now I would just like to remove the '00*-' part of the filename and only keep the 'actualsongname*.mp3' part.

Any tips? Smilie
The same way as the other replacement:

Code:
for file in [0-9][0-9][0-9]-* ; do 
  mv "$file" "${file#???-}"
done

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy way to mass rename files?

Hi. What is the easiest way to rename a bunch of files? For example taking all files ending in ".php3" and rename them to end in ".php" I could write a script to do this, but there is probably an easier way... Thanks! (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thermopylae
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mass Copy/rename

Don't tell me DOS can do something UNIX can't do! I want to copy a number of files from one directory to another, and at the same time change the names. The name changes would be common, e.g., all files starting with the letter 'L' and ending in '30.NEW554', with the copied or new files also... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lwilsonFG
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mass Change content in all files

Hi, Are there any sample scripts to change content like file paths, profile paths etc., from test version to production , instead of changing one by one, i would like to pass the in file (prod version/Test version) to convert to test or prod verions. any help is appreciated!! ~R (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terala
1 Replies

4. AIX

VI questions : mass changes, mass delete and external insert

Is it possible in VI to do a global change but take the search patterns and the replacement patterns from an external file ? I have cases where I can have 100,200 or 300+ global changes to do. All the new records are inside a file and I must VI a work file to change all of them. Also, can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to rename in mass

Basically, I have a huge amount of files (ripped audiobooks) that all have the same garbage in their filenames. I'm wondering how to go about writing a bash script to mass rename them. Example filenames as they stand now: The First CD - 1x01 - Title 1.mp3 The First CD - 1x02 - Title 2.mp3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
4 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows mass copy files with same name in differnt folders

I have files existing with same names in the folders with date as display below c:\2010-09-10 <==== folder arr1.jpg arr2.jpg arr3.jpg arr4.jpg c:\2010-09-09 <==== folder arr1.jpg arr2.jpg c:\2010-09-08 <==== folder arr2.jpg arr3.jpg arr4.jpg ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

mass renaming files with complex filenames

Hi, I've got files with names like this : _Some_Name_178_HD_.mp4 _Some_Name_-_496_Vost_SD_(720x400_XviD_MP3).avi Goffytofansub_Some name 483_HD.avi And iam trying to rename it with a regular pattern. My gola is this : Ep 178.mp4 Ep 496.avi Ep 483.avi I've tried using sed with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: VLaw
8 Replies

8. Programming

Minor editing of mass HTML files

Hello, I'm manipulating a batch of about 2,000 HTML files. I just need to make some small changes, but to all the files at once. For example, I want to delete the lines that have "embed_music" in all the files, or change all instances of the word "Paragraph" to "Absatz". This is my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename mass files with text from first line

I have a few hundred text files that are currently numbered files. I would like to rename each one with the text from the first line in the file. I would prefer this is perl script rather than a one liner as it wil be after many alterations to the file via an existing script. Any help would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GWhizz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SBATCH trinity for multiple files and rename/move the output files

Hey guys, I have wrote the following script to apply a module named "trinity" on my files. (it takes two input files and spit a trinity.fasta as output) #!/bin/bash -l #SBATCH -p node #SBATCH -A <projectID> #SBATCH -n 16 #SBATCH -t 7-00:00:00 #SBATCH --mem=128GB #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies
MP3TAG(1)						      General Commands Manual							 MP3TAG(1)

NAME
mp3tag - view and manipulate ID3v1 tags. SYNOPSIS
mp3tag [ -s song ] [ -a artist ] [ -l album ] [ -y year ] [ -e comment ] [ -k track ] [ -g genre ] [ -r ] file [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page briefly documents the mp3tag command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the orig- inal program does not have one. mp3tag is a program that allows you to both view and manipulate ID3v1 metadata tags. Running the command with just a filename will display the file's current tag. Setting some options will cause the tag to be updated and displayed. OPTIONS
-a artist Set the artist name to artist. Strings over thirty characters are truncated. -e comment Set the comment to comment. Strings over thirty characters are truncated. -g genre Set the genre to genre. This is a single integer with a value of 0 to 254 corresponding to the appropriate Winamp compatible genre (use '-g list' to list all supported genres). -k track Set the track number to track. This is a single integer with a value of 0 to 255. Specifying this field truncates the comment field to twenty-eight characters, as per the ID3v1.1 standard. -l album Set the album name to album. Strings over thirty characters are truncated. -r Merge new tag with any preexisting tag in the file. -s song Set the song name to song. Strings over thirty characters are truncated. -y year Set the year to year. Strings over four characters are truncated. EXAMPLES
Display foo.mp3's current ID3v1 info: mp3tag foo.mp3 Set foo.mp3's artist to 'Bar', and album to 'Baz': mp3tag -a Bar -l Baz foo.mp3 Set foo.mp3's year to 2001, merging it with any tag already present: mp3tag -y 2001 -r foo.mp3 AUTHOR
mp3tag was written by Bram Avontuur <bram@avontuur.org>. This manual page was written by Brian Boucheron <brian@boucheron.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution (but may be used by others). SEE ALSO
More info on ID3v1 can be found at <http://www.id3.org/id3v1.html>. February 19, 2004 MP3TAG(1)