Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in reading file (bash) Post 302414248 by Learnerabc on Monday 19th of April 2010 03:25:36 PM
Old 04-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by frans
Code:
#!/bin/bash
read -p "First name: " FN
read -p "Last name : " LN
NAME="${FN}:${LN}"
if grep -q "$NAME" listfile
then
  echo "$NAME already in file"
else
  echo "$NAME" >> listfile && echo "adding name to file"
fi

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help me ...problem in reading a file

hi, while reading a file line by line # name of the script is scriptrd while read line do echo $line done while executing bash$ ./scriptrd if i give the input as * the output is like it displays the contents of the current directory i jus wanted it to print as * (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: brkavi_in
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: reading filenames from file

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that reads filenames from a file and use these filenames in a loop. The filenames are all on one line and the problem is that these filenames have wildcards like * and braces like in them. Right now what I'm doing is something like this: echo "reading from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: warp17
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Reading out rows of a file into a dynamic array and check first literal

Hello, i have a file "Movie.ini" looking e.g. like follows * MOVIE A bla bla MOVIE B blubb blubb MOVIE C I'd like to read the file "Movie.ini" with cat and grep and check whether it includes the string MOVIE only with a '*' at the beginnig. By doing "cat Movie.ini| grep MOVIE... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in reading a file

Hi Guys, I am having a file which does not have any name when i do a ls -l -rw-r--r-- 1 dctrdat1 dctrdata 35 Feb 09 08:04 -rw-r--r-- 1 dctrdat1 dctrdata 11961 Feb 08 06:40 DAI_data.txt Now i want to see what is inside that file. Can you please let me know how to read... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in reading a cv file in bash

Hi All, I am trying to read a .csv file which has some 6 columns. Eg: samp.csv one, two, three, four six, seven, eight, nine I used the following code, for line in `cat samp.csv` do echo "$line" done It displays every comma seperated values in each line like, one,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnwilliams.sp
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Reading a file and assigning variables from file

I have a file that has four values on each line and I'd like to give each column a variable name and then use those values in each step of a loop. In bash, I believe you could use a while loop to do this or possibly a cat command, but I am super new to programming and I'm having trouble decoding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccorder22
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a text file using bash

I've a file in linux with following text: ;ip address hostname put-location alt-put-location tftpserver 192.168.1.1 r01-lab1-net /mnt/nas1/fgbu/ /opt/fgbu/devicebackup 192.168.1.254Now I want to read these values and assign them to particular variables... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Reading a file from a different directory in a Bash script

Hi all, Given here under a section of a script I am using. SIMDIR="/home/Ins/forces" cd $SIMDIR for file in `ls *.forces` do basename=`echo $file | sed 's/\.*$//'` extname=`echo $file | sed 's/*\(*\)\.\(.*\)/\2\1/'` echo "Processing file: "$basename python convert.py... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Theo Score
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from file bash command

Hello, I have a file in the following format id sample platform R1 R2 gene1 gene2 gene3 1 abc llumina R1_001.fastq.gz R2_001.fastq.gz apoe prnpp asp 2 def llumina R1_001.fastq.gz R2_001.fastq.gz apoe prnpp 3 ghi llumina ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Variable scope - while loop while reading from a file

Cope sample1: test.sh i=0 echo " Outside loop i = $i " while do i=$(( $i + 1)) echo "Inside loop i = $i " done echo " Out of loop i is : $i " When run output : Outside loop i = 0 Inside loop i = 1 Inside loop i = 2 Inside loop i = 3 Inside loop i = 4 Inside loop i = 5 Inside... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adarshreddy01
8 Replies
BASHBUG(1)						      General Commands Manual							BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--version] [--help] [email-address] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a shell script to help the user compose and mail bug reports concerning bash in a standard format. bashbug invokes the editor specified by the environment variable EDITOR on a temporary copy of the bug report format outline. The user must fill in the appropriate fields and exit the editor. bashbug then mails the completed report to bug-bash@gnu.org, or email-address. If the report cannot be mailed, it is saved in the file dead.bashbug in the invoking user's home directory. The bug report format outline consists of several sections. The first section provides information about the machine, operating system, the bash version, and the compilation environment. The second section should be filled in with a description of the bug. The third sec- tion should be a description of how to reproduce the bug. The optional fourth section is for a proposed fix. Fixes are encouraged. ENVIRONMENT
bashbug will utilize the following environment variables if they exist: EDITOR Specifies the preferred editor. If EDITOR is not set, bashbug defaults to emacs. HOME Directory in which the failed bug report is saved if the mail fails. TMPDIR Directory in which to create temporary files and directories. SEE ALSO
bash(1) AUTHORS
Brian Fox, Free Software Foundation bfox@gnu.org Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University chet@po.cwru.edu GNU Bash-4.0 1998 July 30 BASHBUG(1)