Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Discovering Network Topology
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Discovering Network Topology Post 302414239 by sysgate on Monday 19th of April 2010 02:59:51 PM
Old 04-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzeidat
Thank you sysgate for your reply.
I am not sure how this compares to the “traceroute, ping, SNMP, & DNS queries” solution you are suggesting. All these are applications on op of the network (IP) layer. Although they do similar things described in our “Client/Server” solution described above. !!!??? Any comments/thoughts??
True, they operate on IP layer, whereas your team is, apparently, rather convinced to use the transport layer for network discovery. This is an area where I can't really help with solution, hopefuly someone else will. Initially, I thought that you could do something like controlled nmap scan of your network segments, and based on results to start an application like traceroute, ping or other to verify the results and write the report somewhere , in some format, but it seems that you need more than that, so like I said, hopefully someone else will join the thread with more insight.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

help with discovering bad passwords question

Is there of a scheme for discovering badly chosen user passwords from a Unix password file? Im not learning anything bad or trying to hack,this a question that was given to me in an information security seminar. Would password cracker be a correct answer? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jodders
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

discovering which ports are in use

I am trying to find a way to discover which ports are in use on a UNIX system. I cannot install lsof on it, and it looks like the telnet option is disabled. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dck133
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network Topology Discovery

Hello All! New Unix admin here, with a bit of a problem I can't seem to get a straight answer to.. I've been tasked with mapping out the topology (with IPs/Hostnames) of networks...remotely. So, I have SSH access to firewalls, but that's about as far as I can get - how would I go about... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tiyugro
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Discovering TOP process on virtual machine

Hello, on my openvz server, i can output load averages of containers: Code: # vzlist -o laverage,ctid -H 0.00/0.00/0.00 130 0.10/0.10/0.10 150 2.26/2.28/2.28 190please which command/script to use so it outputs top 1 or 2 processes on the linux system with 2.26 laverage? i mean, i want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Network becomes slow and return fast only after restart network

Hi, I have 2 machines in production environment: 1. redhat machine for application 2. DB machine (oracle) The application doing a lot of small read&writes from and to the DB machine. The problem is that after some few hours the network from the application to the DB becomes very slow and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshesa
4 Replies
IBV_UD_PINGPONG(1)						   USER COMMANDS						IBV_UD_PINGPONG(1)

NAME
ibv_ud_pingpong - simple InfiniBand UD transport test SYNOPSIS
ibv_ud_pingpong [-p port] [-d device] [-i ib port] [-s size] [-r rx depth] [-n iters] [-l sl] [-e] HOSTNAME ibv_ud_pingpong [-p port] [-d device] [-i ib port] [-s size] [-r rx depth] [-n iters] [-l sl] [-e] DESCRIPTION
Run a simple ping-pong test over InfiniBand via the unreliable datagram (UD) transport. OPTIONS
-p, --port=PORT use TCP port PORT for initial synchronization (default 18515) -d, --ib-dev=DEVICE use IB device DEVICE (default first device found) -i, --ib-port=PORT use IB port PORT (default port 1) -s, --size=SIZE ping-pong messages of size SIZE (default 2048) -r, --rx-depth=DEPTH post DEPTH receives at a time (default 500) -n, --iters=ITERS perform ITERS message exchanges (default 1000) -l, --sl=SL send messages with service level SL (default 0) -e, --events sleep while waiting for work completion events (default is to poll for completions) SEE ALSO
ibv_rc_pingpong(1), ibv_uc_pingpong(1), ibv_srq_pingpong(1) AUTHORS
Roland Dreier <rolandd@cisco.com> BUGS
The network synchronization between client and server instances is weak, and does not prevent incompatible options from being used on the two instances. The method used for retrieving work completions is not strictly correct, and race conditions may cause failures on some systems. libibverbs August 30, 2005 IBV_UD_PINGPONG(1)