Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to type ISO_8859_1 characters in shell script? Post 302414237 by jim mcnamara on Monday 19th of April 2010 02:52:15 PM
Old 04-19-2010
Did you try ALT-194 - hold down the alt key, then enter 1 9 4 on the numeric keypad?

What does
Code:
locale

show for you?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specifying font type and color in a shell script

Hi, I am new to shell script. Can you please tell me, whether can we specify font type and color in a shell script? If so, how to do this? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vani_Govind
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to type the Omega symbol Ω in unix shell script

Hi, I have a data file delimited by Ω symbol, I would like to use this in grep and cut command. but How to type this Omega symbol. Thanks Murugesan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NagaMurugesan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help removing characters for output file in shell script

hi i'm new to shell scripts and have a small problem i am running a batch converter that returns all flash .flv files in a directory and create a png image from each one the problem i have is the $1 variable , its ok on the first call but on the secound call $1.png , i have extra... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingchun22
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting the data type in unix shell script

I am writing a unix shell script that will extract records from table and write into a file. ====================================== #! /bin/ksh ############################ # AFI Monitor Script ############################ . /db2/uszlad48/sqllib/db2profile export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bold characters in a file using Shell script

Hi, When I am running below mentioned script then the characters become bold but after opening the same file in Windows, Instead of getting bold characters i am getting some garbage value for \033Kunal Dixit Output in Windows (after ftp the file): but in windows , i am getting My name is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunal_dixit
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call last 14 characters with grep/sed in shell script.

Hi. This is my first post on the forums. I am trying to write a script that will parse a folder of files "oneverylongfilenamexyz.pdf" and create a .dat file named "oneverylongfilenamexyz.dat" with the first line of each .dat file saying variable="xyz" where xyz is the last 14 characters of $i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: attonbitusira
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you delete characters in a shell script?

I have printed a character on the screen using a shell script. I want to move that character one space to the left. I have tried moving the cursor to the top left corner of the screen and printing a backspace, like this: tput cup 1 1; printf "\b"; The backspace supposedly deletes the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assistance with shell script to check file type and move to a folder.

Hi, Below is some code that I would like to implement however I am getting these errors: (what I am attempting to do is to check if a zip file has ascii files and if ascii and not binary then move the ascii files to a folder. some of the files are in xml format but are ascii and i will be moving... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwcberb
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Removing control-m characters from shell script

Hi All, I need to remove control m character from a file. Steps which i am doing in shell script are: 1) We are comparing the header of the file to the database table header Here the file header has control-m characters. How do i remove it. Please help. Below are the steps i am using,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
12 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell script to find file type

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a shell script that takes a single command line parameter, a file path (might be relative or absolute). The script should examine that file and print a single line consisting of the phrase: Windows ASCII if the files is an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwatt019
4 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)