Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to merge multiple line Post 302414223 by itkamaraj on Monday 19th of April 2010 01:56:00 PM
Old 04-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcomex999
It just checks if $0 contains # at the end of the line, if so, it prints the line or else it prints the line and a new line(with the help of printf in formatting).
thanks a lot, now i understand that it uses ternary operator Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing end of line to merge multiple lines

I'm sure this will be an easy question for you experts out there, but I have been searching the forum and working on this for a couple hours now and can't get it right. I have a very messy data file that I am trying to tidy up - one of the issues is some records are split into multiple lines: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tink
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Merge multiple .so files

Hi all, I am developing an application in Tcl, inwhich i have to load many modules written in C. I am converting those C modules into shared object(.so) files, and wrap it with my application using SWIG, for which i had the interface file. Now my question is, i have two different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilvnr
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use Perl to merge multi-line into single line

Hi, Can anyone know how to use perl to merge the following multi-line information which beginning with "BAM" into one line. For each line need to delete the return and add a space. Please see the red color line. ******Org. Multi-line) BAM admin 101.203.57.22 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyday
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge files based on line by line

Hi, lets assume the following details.. file 1 has below details abc|1234|xyz abc1|1234|xyz1 abc2|1234|xyz2 and file 2 has below details pqr|124|lskd ebwer|325|dfb wf|234|sdb I need out put shown below abc|1234|xyz pqr|124|lskd abc1|1234|xyz1 ebwer|325|dfb abc2|1234|xyz2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alnhk
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multi-line output into a single line

Hello I did do a search and the past threads doesn't really solve my issue. (using various awk commands) I need to combine the output from java -version into 1 line, but I am having difficulties. When you exec java -version, you get: java version "1.5.0_06" Java(TM) 2 Runtime... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagman5
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read multiple options from file, line by line

Hi all I have spent half a day trying to create a shell script which reads a configuration file on a line by line basis. The idea of the file is that each will contain server information, such as IP address and various port numbers. The line could also be blank (The file is user created). Here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: haggismn
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple lines to one line when line starts with and ends with

example: comment Now_TB.table column errac is for error messages 1 - first 2 - second 3 -third ; in this example I need to be able to grab the comment as first word and ; as the last word and it might span a few lines. I need it to be put all in one line without line breaks so I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wambli
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple lines in one line

Hi guys, So i have a input file with several sequences aligned (fasta) >NC_005930 241 bp MNMINIFIINNIFDQFIPVKLSIFSLTSVGSIIA LSWVWINTKTHWAISRSNTP-SLLLNSL WTLLITNL-NEKTNPWAPWLFSLFLLCFSFNIMSLI-PYTF-SQ TSHLSFTFGLSLPIWIMVNIAGFKNNWKKKISHLLPQGTPIYLVPVMII IETISLFIQPLTLGFRLGANLLAGHLLIFLCSCTIWE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreia
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple lines into a single line

Hi all, I'm relatively new to scripting, I can do pretty basic things. I have a daily log file that looks like: timestamp=2017-06-28-01.01.35.080576; event status=0; userid=user1; authid=user1; application id=10.10.10.10.11111.12345678901; application name=GUI; ... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwdnet
29 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merge multi-lines into one single line using shell script or Linux command

Hi, Can anyone help me for merge the following multi-line log which beginning with a " and line ending with ": into one line. *****Original Log***** 087;2008-12-06;084403;"mc;;SYHLR6AP1D\LNZW;AD-703;1;12475;SYHLR6AP1B;1.1.1.1;0000000062;HGPDI:MSISDN=12345678,APNID=1,EQOSID=365;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshlinux2010
3 Replies
GIT-MERGE-INDEX(1)						    Git Manual							GIT-MERGE-INDEX(1)

NAME
git-merge-index - Run a merge for files needing merging SYNOPSIS
git merge-index [-o] [-q] <merge-program> (-a | [--] <file>*) DESCRIPTION
This looks up the <file>(s) in the index and, if there are any merge entries, passes the SHA-1 hash for those files as arguments 1, 2, 3 (empty argument if no file), and <file> as argument 4. File modes for the three files are passed as arguments 5, 6 and 7. OPTIONS
-- Do not interpret any more arguments as options. -a Run merge against all files in the index that need merging. -o Instead of stopping at the first failed merge, do all of them in one shot - continue with merging even when previous merges returned errors, and only return the error code after all the merges. -q Do not complain about a failed merge program (a merge program failure usually indicates conflicts during the merge). This is for porcelains which might want to emit custom messages. If git merge-index is called with multiple <file>s (or -a) then it processes them in turn only stopping if merge returns a non-zero exit code. Typically this is run with a script calling Git's imitation of the merge command from the RCS package. A sample script called git merge-one-file is included in the distribution. ALERT ALERT ALERT! The Git "merge object order" is different from the RCS merge program merge object order. In the above ordering, the original is first. But the argument order to the 3-way merge program merge is to have the original in the middle. Don't ask me why. Examples: torvalds@ppc970:~/merge-test> git merge-index cat MM This is MM from the original tree. # original This is modified MM in the branch A. # merge1 This is modified MM in the branch B. # merge2 This is modified MM in the branch B. # current contents or torvalds@ppc970:~/merge-test> git merge-index cat AA MM cat: : No such file or directory This is added AA in the branch A. This is added AA in the branch B. This is added AA in the branch B. fatal: merge program failed where the latter example shows how git merge-index will stop trying to merge once anything has returned an error (i.e., cat returned an error for the AA file, because it didn't exist in the original, and thus git merge-index didn't even try to merge the MM thing). GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-MERGE-INDEX(1)