Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sorting file with columns (problem) Post 302414061 by daelas on Monday 19th of April 2010 06:46:20 AM
Old 04-19-2010
Sorting file with columns (solved)

Hi all! I am new to Unix programming so bare with me please Smilie.

I have saved the output of my results in a file called testfile which contains 3 columns a 15 rows.

e.g.
Code:
 175 754 abvd  
 948 454 fewf 
  43 754 fewc
   6 734 feww
  xxx  xxx xxxx

I want to sort the contents of this file in descending order but when I use sort -nr it will only sort the first column while the second column will be sorted accordingly to the sorting of the first, which makes it a bit messy.

Any help will be much appreciated

Last edited by daelas; 04-19-2010 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: solved!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in sorting the file

file format is word filename no.of occurances ------------------------------ wish f3.txt 2 wish f2.txt 1 cold f1.txt 5 cold f2.txt 3 cold f1.txt 3 cold e.txt 3 gold f1.txt 7 gold f3.txt 3 rush e.txt 2 itz abt building a search index for every word in the files given as input the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishnu_vaka
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting a file with multiple columns

I have a file with several columns: Column1 Column2 Column3. . .Column6 I want to sort the data from Column6. Could I do that through sort even if there are spaces in between fields? Much thanks! outta. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: outtacontrol
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting file content on columns

guys i have a question: i'd like to sort files (as many I want) in columns so to visualize them one near the other...so let's say i have just 2 files: FILE1 John Mary Bridget FILE2 Anne Robert Mark i would like to obtain: John Anne Mary Robert Bridget ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshmallow
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting file based on two or more columns

Hi gang. I'm using a unix/mac system and i'm trying to sort a file (more than 1,000,000 lines). chr1 100000965 100001001 - chr1 100002155 100002191 + chr1 100002165 100002201 + chr1 100002525 100002561 - chr1 10000364 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: labrazil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vertical sorting of columns

Please help to sort columns in this file: a b d f c e 1 4 10 16 7 13 2 5 11 17 8 14 3 6 12 18 9 15 I need to sort COLUMNS (so sort command doesn't work) like this: a b c d e f 1 4 7 10 13 16 2 5 8 11 14 17 3 6 9 12 15 18 I know sed can do it but don't know how... :( (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coppuca
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transposing column to row, joining with another file, then sorting columns

Hello! I am very new to Linux and I do not know where to begin... I have a column with >64,000 elements (that are not in numberical order) like this: name 2 5 9 . . . 64,000 I would like to transpose this column into a row that will later become the header of a very large file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doobedoo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chemistry problem- File matching and Sorting!!!

Dear Programmers I have a file called ranking.txt, in which I have 4 chemical compounds in *.sdf file format named ligands_m1, ligands_m2, ligands_m3, ligands_m4. Each compounds is assigned with a particular score along with the file location. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertselwyne
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting and adding columns

i have a file with two columns, and i want to uniquely sort the values in fist column and add the corresponding values in the second columns eg file a contents tom 200 john 300 sow 500 tom 800 james 50 sow 300 output shpould be in file b as tom 1000 john 300 sow 800 james 50 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealerso
0 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Problem in sorting a text file

Hi; I have a text file like this: 1 10 11 2 3 4 M X Y When I sort it numerically using sort -n, it looks like this: Y X M 1 2 3 4 10 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting by columns

Hi, I have a tab delimited columnar file where I want to remove lines wherever two particular columns match. so for this file, I want to toss the lines where columns 1 and 2 match: a a 1 3 a b 2 4 b b 3 5 because there are matches column 1 and 2 in lines 1 and 3, I would like a script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
2 Replies
SLAPO-VALSORT(5)						File Formats Manual						  SLAPO-VALSORT(5)

NAME
slapo-valsort - Value Sorting overlay to slapd SYNOPSIS
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf DESCRIPTION
The Value Sorting overlay can be used with a backend database to sort the values of specific multi-valued attributes within a subtree. The sorting occurs whenever the attributes are returned in a search response. Sorting can be specified in ascending or descending order, using either numeric or alphanumeric sort methods. Additionally, a "weighted" sort can be specified, which uses a numeric weight prepended to the attribute values. The weighted sort is always performed in ascending order, but may be combined with the other methods for values that all have equal weights. The weight is specified by prepending an integer weight {<weight>} in front of each value of the attribute for which weighted sorting is desired. This weighting factor is stripped off and never returned in search results. CONFIGURATION
These slapd.conf options apply to the Value Sorting overlay. They should appear after the overlay directive. valsort-attr <attribute> <baseDN> (<sort-method> | weighted [<sort-method>]) Configure a sorting method for the specified attribute in the subtree rooted at baseDN. The sort-method may be one of alpha-ascend, alpha-descend, numeric-ascend, or numeric-descend. If the special weighted method is specified, a secondary sort-method may also be specified. It is an error to specify an alphanumeric sort-method for an attribute with Integer or NumericString syntax, and it is an error to specify a numeric sort-method for an attribute with a syntax other than Integer or NumericString. EXAMPLES
database bdb suffix dc=example,dc=com ... overlay valsort valsort-attr member ou=groups,dc=example,dc=com alpha-ascend FILES
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf default slapd configuration file SEE ALSO
slapd.conf(5), slapd-config(5). ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
This module was written in 2005 by Howard Chu of Symas Corporation. The work was sponsored by Stanford University. OpenLDAP 2.4.28 2011/11/24 SLAPO-VALSORT(5)