Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script for searching a record,copy to a file and then delete it Post 302413980 by kumara2010 on Monday 19th of April 2010 12:40:48 AM
Old 04-19-2010
Shell script for searching a record,copy to a file and then delete it

Hi,

I have a requirement in hand:

I have a file with millions of records say file 1.I have another file, say file 2 which has 2000 records in it. The requirement is to read file2 , and remove the read record from file 1 and move i to a seperate file, file 3.
For eg: Read file 2, get the first record (eg: record id as 200) , read file 1, search for record id 200 and copy it to file 3, remove 200 from file 1.

Can some one help me with a flexible shell script which acheives the same faster. I tried using compare command but its taking a lot of time.Smilie

Any help would be much appreciated..Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete a record from a csv file

Hi Guys I have downloaded a table from oracle database in .csv format. it has many fields as Title, First Name, Last Name etc. I have to download distinct titles from database and now i have to check all those titles from data of First Name one by one. and then i have to delete matched record.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajeev Agrawal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script - Copy File at intervals

Hi, I want to copy some files from a Folder say, /usr/X at random intervals to another location. Basically, new files will be dumped at random intervals to location /usr/X and I have to copy those new files to some other location (after copying, I cannot delete those files from source... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy file after searching in a directory

Hi, I am looking for an answer for following senario: I have a text file (base.txt) which consist list of files to be searched like: base.txt abc.txt def.txt fgh.txt Now i am going to search all the listed files in another directory after reading them one by one, once i found the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: apjneeraj
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete first record from all the file?

hi All, need help...!! I want to delete header record from all the files in current directory. using sed command i can delete first record from a file but i want to delete first record from all the files so can anybosy help me how can i do this? I will appreciate your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NirajThakar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy file

Dear all, I have a database with thousands of files with the structure of name is: Filename_hour_year.abc Filename_hour_year_1.abc .............. So what I need is how to write a script that all file with contain the character "_1" will copy to "_2" For example: file name:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hainguyen1402
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete 1 record in large file!

Hi All, I'm a newbie here, I'm just wondering on how to delete a single record in a large file in unix. ex. file1.txt is 1000 records nikki1 nikki2 nikki3 what i want to do is delete the nikki2 record in file1.txt. is it possible? Please advise, Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to copy files and record original file location?

:EDIT: I think my post name should have been labeled: how to copy files and record original file location. not "retain". Hello, this is my first post! I searched the forums a lot before posting, but was unable to answer my question. Here's my problem: There are several hundred text files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: willie8605
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete a record in a xml file using shell scripting

find pattern, delete line with pattern and 3 lines above and 8 lines below the pattern. The pattern is "isup". The entire record with starting tag <record> and ending tag </record> containing the pattern is to be deleted and the rest to be retained. <record> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdesstp
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print record count of a file using shell script

HI, I need to print the record count of a file using shell script. If the record count of a file excluding header and trailer record if greater than zero then print 'Record count of a file is xxxx records'. If the record count is zero print 'zero records' Thanks Mahendra (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmeda
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete last 2 fields from every record in a file

Sample file record : "20130617003","2013-06-18T07:00:03","OUTWARD","01001011","TEST PLC","","HFX834346364364","20130617","10","DUM87534758","","1.28","826","020201","65879278","","","","","","010101","56789","DUMMY... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbuk
3 Replies
CAP_MKDB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       CAP_MKDB(1)

NAME
cap_mkdb -- create capability database SYNOPSIS
cap_mkdb [-v] [-f outfile] file1 [file2 ...] DESCRIPTION
Cap_mkdb builds a hashed database out of the getcap(3) logical database constructed by the concatenation of the specified files . The database is named by the basename of the first file argument and the string ``.db''. The getcap(3) routines can access the database in this form much more quickly than they can the original text file(s). The ``tc'' capabilities of the records are expanded before the record is stored into the database. The options as as follows: -f outfile Specify a different database basename. -v Print out the number of capability records in the database. FORMAT
Each record is stored in the database using two different types of keys. The first type is a key which consists of the first capability of the record (not including the trailing colon (``:'')) with a data field consisting of a special byte followed by the rest of the record. The special byte is either a 0 or 1, where a 0 means that the record is okay, and a 1 means that there was a ``tc'' capability in the record that couldn't be expanded. The second type is a key which consists of one of the names from the first capability of the record with a data field consisting a special byte followed by the the first capability of the record. The special byte is a 2. In normal operation names are looked up in the database, resulting in a key/data pair of the second type. The data field of this key/data pair is used to look up a key/data pair of the first type which has the real data associated with the name. RETURN VALUE
The cap_mkdb utility exits 0 on success and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
dbopen(3), getcap(3), termcap(5) BSD
June 2, 2019 BSD