Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: strlen for UTF-8
Top Forums Programming strlen for UTF-8 Post 302413949 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 18th of April 2010 03:58:14 PM
Old 04-18-2010
The default value for a single char in C is usually promoted to an int. sizeof(int) = 4
but that does not mean that a single 'a' character actually is that large - 4 bytes.

A char in UTF-8 is 1 byte.

Your compiler stores a single char variable in the space it uses for an int. That is the bottom line for all the confusion.

BTW: CHAR_BIT by standard is currently defined to be fixed at 8, regardless of how the compiler decides to promote it. And regardless of what the locale may be. Which is why you should not change it to 32.

See C99 standards 5.2.4.2.1 Sizes of integer types <limits.h>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problems with Strlen

hello, i have a problem with strlen. I have written this: for(y=13,z=0; cInBuf!=' ';y++) { cBuf=cInBuf; z++; } len = strlen(cBuf); out=len/2; fprintf(outfile,"F%i",out); If strlen is e.g. 22, it write F22. I want to write F2F2. How can i do this?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ACeD
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with the strlen function in ksh

Hello, Just a little problem with the ksh function : strlen I want to use this function in this little ksh program : while read line ; do TOTO=$line TOTONB=strlen($TOTO) echo $TOTONB (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

UTF 8 and SED

Collegues I tried to manipulate a UTF 8 data using the following script. cat $1 | sed 's/ലായി$/ലായി LAYI/g' | sed 's/ുടെ/ുടെ UTE/g' | sed 's/യില്*/യില്* YIL/g' But it says that cnot exicute binary file. Any solution. Jaganadh. Linguist (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

4. Programming

'strlen' of a constant string

In a declaration, I have: const char comment_begin = "<!--"; const char comment_end = "-->"; const int comment_begin_len = strlen(comment_begin); const int comment_end_len = strlen(comment_end); When I compile, I get the warnings: emhttpc.c:64: warning: initializer element is not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopard
10 Replies

5. Programming

pointer arithmetic vs. strlen() & strnlen()?

I have been getting some flack recently for my use of strlen() and strnlen(). Honestly I have always just taken their functionality for granted as being the easiest way of getting the length of a string. Is it really so much better to do pointer arithmetic? What am I gaining besides more... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vi and UTF-8 errors

We just installed icu for UTF-8 compliance on our AIX 5.3 system. While usuing vi on some files we get the following error: ex: 0602-169 Incomplete or invalid multibyte character encountere yte character encountered, conversion failed.ex: 0602-169 Incomplete or invalidb ractersultibyte... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlacasci
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UTF-8 in xterm

I need to use sort, uniq, grep, wc,... and the like to work with lists of words in UTF-8 (the "words" being phonetic transcriptions using the IPA). I have been using Google a lot and I even found at least one previous post on this topic, but it didn't help. I tried following the instructions... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mregine
2 Replies

8. Linux

Help to Convert file from UNIX UTF-8 to Windows UTF-16

Hi, I have tried to convert a UTF-8 file to windows UTF-16 format file as below from unix machine unix2dos < testing.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16 > out.txt and i am getting some chinese characters as below which l opened the converted file on windows machine. LANG=en_US.UTF-8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
3 Replies

9. Programming

Segment fault related to strlen.S

Hello, This function was copied into my code, which was compiled without error/warning, but when executed there is always Segmentation fault at the end after the output (which seems correct!): void get_hashes(unsigned int hash, unsigned char *in) { unsigned char *str = in; int pos =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP: declared variables, strlen vs isset

greetings, pretty new to php and i think i might be missing some fundamental limitation of isset. i have two php scripts below that are executed by crond, one using --host X and one that does not. and below that are three different attempts at generating a command line that will be executed. the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
8 Replies
libcaca character set conversions(3caca)			      libcaca				  libcaca character set conversions(3caca)

NAME
libcaca character set conversions - Functions __extern uint32_t caca_utf8_to_utf32 (char const *, size_t *) Convert a UTF-8 character to UTF-32. __extern size_t caca_utf32_to_utf8 (char *, uint32_t) Convert a UTF-32 character to UTF-8. __extern uint8_t caca_utf32_to_cp437 (uint32_t) Convert a UTF-32 character to CP437. __extern uint32_t caca_cp437_to_utf32 (uint8_t) Convert a CP437 character to UTF-32. __extern char caca_utf32_to_ascii (uint32_t) Convert a UTF-32 character to ASCII. __extern int caca_utf32_is_fullwidth (uint32_t) Tell whether a UTF-32 character is fullwidth. Detailed Description These functions perform conversions between usual character sets. Function Documentation __extern uint32_t caca_utf8_to_utf32 (char const *s, size_t *bytes) Convert a UTF-8 character read from a string and return its value in the UTF-32 character set. If the second argument is not null, the total number of read bytes is written in it. If a null byte was reached before the expected end of the UTF-8 sequence, this function returns zero and the number of read bytes is set to zero. This function never fails, but its behaviour with illegal UTF-8 sequences is undefined. Parameters: s A string containing the UTF-8 character. bytes A pointer to a size_t to store the number of bytes in the character, or NULL. Returns: The corresponding UTF-32 character, or zero if the character is incomplete. Referenced by caca_put_str(). __extern size_t caca_utf32_to_utf8 (char *buf, uint32_tch) Convert a UTF-32 character read from a string and write its value in the UTF-8 character set into the given buffer. This function never fails, but its behaviour with illegal UTF-32 characters is undefined. Parameters: buf A pointer to a character buffer where the UTF-8 sequence will be written. ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: The number of bytes written. __extern uint8_t caca_utf32_to_cp437 (uint32_tch) Convert a UTF-32 character read from a string and return its value in the CP437 character set, or '?' if the character has no equivalent. This function never fails. Parameters: ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: The corresponding CP437 character, or '?' if not representable. __extern uint32_t caca_cp437_to_utf32 (uint8_tch) Convert a CP437 character read from a string and return its value in the UTF-32 character set, or zero if the character is a CP437 control character. This function never fails. Parameters: ch The CP437 character. Returns: The corresponding UTF-32 character, or zero if not representable. __extern char caca_utf32_to_ascii (uint32_tch) Convert a UTF-32 character into an ASCII character. When no equivalent exists, a graphically close equivalent is sought. This function never fails, but its behaviour with illegal UTF-32 characters is undefined. Parameters: ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: The corresponding ASCII character, or a graphically close equivalent if found, or '?' if not representable. __extern int caca_utf32_is_fullwidth (uint32_tch) Check whether the given UTF-32 character should be printed at twice the normal width (fullwidth characters). If the character is unknown or if its status cannot be decided, it is treated as a standard-width character. This function never fails. Parameters: ch The UTF-32 character. Returns: 1 if the character is fullwidth, 0 otherwise. Referenced by caca_put_char(), and caca_put_str(). Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for libcaca from the source code. Version 0.99.beta18 Fri Apr 6 2012 libcaca character set conversions(3caca)