Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find the latest files in multiple directory Post 302413762 by Scott on Friday 16th of April 2010 09:50:44 PM
Old 04-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyork2001
the file with the newest date
With the benefit of hindsight, that was a silly question Smilie

Code:
cd /some_place/d
for I in d1 d2 d3 d4; do
 cp $I/$(ls -t $I | head -1) .
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: How to get latest file from a list of files in a directory

Hi, I need to get the latest file from a list of files in a particular directory. Please could anyone help me out to get the file. Thank you, - Jay. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jayathirtha
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to find latest executable in particular directory and start that particular ex

i have a directory in which there are executable files and these files are added at runtime. now i need a shell script which will be called at a certain interval. this shell script should find the latest executable file in that directory and start that executable. care should be taken that once the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvineeth
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find latest date and time of the files

Hi everyone, Please help:) I have a list of 1000 different files which comes daily to the directory.Some of the files are not coming to the directory now. I need to write a shell script to find the latest date and time of the files they came to the directory. The files should be unique.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthicss
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying a directory structure with the latest versions of files

Hello I have three directory structures for code releases. Each directory structure looks like this: bash-3.00$ ls -R | more .: Test_Release_1 Test_Release_2 Test_Release_3 ./Test_Release_1/dbcode: rp_online_import_srdp.pkb-1 srdp_ar_validation.pkb-1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find particular string in multiple files with in the current directory.

Hello friends, Plz suggest the find command, How to search a string in a paticular string in miltiple files with current dirctory.:) Thanks in advance. Siva Ranganath Ch (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the latest directory and loop through the files and pick the error messages

Hi, I am new to unix and shell scripting,can anybody help me in sctipting a requirement. my requirement is to get the latest directory the name of the directory will be like CSB.monthdate_time stamp like CSB.Sep29_11:16 and CSB.Oct01_16:21. i need to pick the latest directory. in the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir_83k
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find multiple strings within files under a directory

Hi guys, I need to find multiple strings within files under a directory and secondly, to count how many files are there with these strings. At present, i am able to do this in order to find one string (for example "abc"): find <path> -exec grep "abc" {} /dev/null \; Now for example, i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frum
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve the latest files from the directory.?

hi, i have some file in a directory say p1.txt.201305051200.lst p1.txt.201305051300.lst p1.txt.201306051200.lst p1.txt.201306051300.lst p2.txt.201306051200.lst p2.txt.201306051300.lst i am using p* pattern to retrieve these file ls -1 p* the files in red color are the latest... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find the latest modified file in a directory

I am trying to fetch the latest modified file from a directory using the command find . -type f -exec ls -lt \{\} \+ | head | awk '{print $9}' After the O/P, I get the below mentioned error and the command doesnt terminate at all. find: ls terminated by signal 13 find: ls terminated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Find Duplicate files using latest in Linux

I have tried the following code and with that i couldnt achieve what i want. #!/usr/bin/bash find ./ -type f \( -iname "*.xml" \) | sort -n > fileList sed -i '/\.\/fileList/d' fileList NAMEOFTHISFILE=$(echo $0|sed -e 's/\/()$*.^|/\\&/g') sed -i "/$NAMEOFTHISFILE/d"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gold2k8
2 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)