Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting data array needs to change upper case to lower case Post 302413166 by usustarr on Wednesday 14th of April 2010 07:19:23 PM
Old 04-14-2010
data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all,

i have a data array as followes.
Code:
ARRAY[0]=DFSG345GGG
ARRAY[1]=234FDFG090
ARRAY[2]=VDFVGBGHH
so on..........

i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see
Code:
ARRAY[0]=dfsg345ggg
ARRAY[1]=234fdfg090
ARRAY[2]=vdfvgbghh
so on........

If i have to copy this data in to a 2nd array to do this, i am ok. But it would be nice if i only need one array. Can someone please help me here?
Smilie

by the way, i set the array as follows.
Code:
set -A array `grep -v "#" ${file}`

This is in Kshell

Last edited by Scott; 04-14-2010 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert value in a variable from upper case to lower case

Hi, I have a variable $Ctrcd which contains country names in upper case and i want to convert them into lower case. I have tried so many solutions from already existing threads but couldn't get the correct one. Can anybody help me with this..... Thanks a lot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert upper case to lower case in ascript

I have a package to install and the installation script which does it . The files/directories names in the script are all lower case but the actual package has everything in upper case - file names, directories . I don't want to rename directories and files in the package - it has a lot of them . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vz6zz8
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lower Case > Upper Case

Hi, All - I have a script where I need to change the server name from "dallinux01" to "DALLINUX01" in multiple places. Can some one tell me a command that I can use for this? I played with the tr (translate) command but tr works byte by byte. Meaning that when I use the tr command all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ora_umair
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Convert Upper case to Lower case

Hi All I have a script which extracts values from a Database (A persons name) and puts it into a variable in my script IE: $NAME However the Value in the DB is all in uppercase and contains the users first name and last name EG: > echo $NAME GRAHAM BOYLE > What I need is only the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting to lower case or upper case

here is a code column_name="vivek" column_name2="ViVeK" column_name=$(echo $column_name | awk '{print tolower($0)}') column_name2=$(echo $column_name2 | awk '{print tolower($0)}') echo "column name 1 lower: $column_name" echo "column name... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To convert Lower case to Upper Case

There is a script where we pass the parameter in lower case: say: . ./scriptName pArameter #!/bin/ksh echo "`date` Entering $0 Reloading the $1 table " mname1=$1 (code to login MYSQL Database) Truncate table $mname1; exit ! Since now there is a limitaion of MYSQL that it accept... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambarginni
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)