Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help please, extract multiple lines from a text file Post 302412976 by johnshembb on Wednesday 14th of April 2010 06:52:26 AM
Old 04-14-2010
Data Help please, extract multiple lines from a text file

Hi all,

I need to extract lines between the lines 'RD' and 'QA' from a text file (following). there are more that one of such pattern in the file and I need to extract all of them. however, the number of lines between them is varied in the file. Therefore, I can not just use 'grep -A' command. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Many thanks

---------------------------------------------------------
RD FTLH3RB02II3DW 333 0 0
GG**A***AC*AC*ACACACACAC*ACACACACACATGCTTGCACACAAT
CT*GAAATCTTCACTAA*TCTTTATCTTAAATC*AGTT*GGA*T*GTAGA
CAGACACCTGAG*TCATTTAGTCTAATGATGGC*GT*CCCTCACTC*AGG
GCAAGAAATGCTTTCCTCCA*T*GG*A*GAGGTT*AC*AG*TC*TGTT*G
*CC*TCAA*C*TCC*TGTCAGCCTCCAGCTGCTGACA*GG*A**T*CCTG
T*GCCC*TCTC*TT*GT*AGGATGGAGA*GA*TGT*GGTCCTCTATCAAT
TGTACCATCTGTGCTTGTGTGAAAGGCAGG*AC

QA 1 333 1 333
DS CHROMAT_FILE: none PHD_FILE: none TIME: Mon Jan 01 00:00:00 000
--------------------------------------------------

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract multiple repeated data from a text file

Hi, I need to extract data from a text file in which data has a pattern. I need to extract all repeated pattern and then save it to different files. example: input is: ST*867*000352214 BPT*00*1000352214*090311 SE*1*1 ST*867*000352215 BPT*00*1000352214*090311 SE*1*2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apjneeraj
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract the lines between specific line number from a text file

Hi I want to extract certain text between two line numbers like 23234234324 and 54446655567567 How do I do this with a simple sed or awk command? Thank you. ---------- Post updated at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 PM ---------- found it: sed -n '#1,#2p'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: return_user
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract particular lines from text file

I have two files file A which have a number in every row and file B which contains few hundred thousand rows with about 300 characters in each row (csv) What I need is to extract whole rows from B file (only these which numbers are indicated in A file) I also need to use cygwin. Any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunio
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from multiple lines into one file -

input file Desired csv output gc_type, date/time, milli secs af, Mar 17 13:09:04 2011, 144.596 af, Mar 20 00:37:37 2011, 144.242 af, ar 20 21:30:59 2011, 108.518 Hi All, Any help in acheiving the above would be appreciated. I would like to parse through lines within one file and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vampire
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from multiple lines into one csv file

Hi all, Please go through my requirement. I have a log file in the location /opt/WebSphere61/AppServer/profiles/EMQbatchprofile/logs/EMQbatch This file contains the follwing pattern data <af type="tenured" id="42" timestamp="May 14 13:44:13 2011" intervalms="955.624"> <minimum... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vampire
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Multiple Lines from a Text File

Hello. I am sorry if this is a common question but through all my searching, I haven't found an answer which matches what I want to do. I am looking for a sed command that will parse through a large text file and extract lines that start with specific words (which are repeated throughout the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrDumbQuestion
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process multiple lines in a text file

Hi All I have text file like this: a=21ej c=3tiu32 e=hydkehw f=hgdiuw g=jhdkj a=klkjhvl b=dlkjhyfd a=yo c=8732 Any way I can process data from first a to just before of second a, and then second a to just before of 3rd one. Just fetching records like that will help, I mean... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandipjee
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep multiple lines from a text file using another text file?

I would like to use grep to select multiple lines from a text file using a single-column text file. Basically I want to only select lines from the first text file where the second column of the first text file matches the second text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a pattern from multiple lines in a file

I have a file that has some lines starts with * I want to get these lines, then get the word between "diac" and "lex". ex. file: ;;WORD AlAx *0.942490 diac:Al>ax lex:>ax_1 bw:Al/DET+>ax/NOUN+ gloss:brother pos:noun prc3:0 prc2:0 prc1:0 prc0:Al_det per:na asp:na vox:na mod:na gen:m num:s... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
4 Replies
file-roller(1)							   User Commands						    file-roller(1)

NAME
file-roller - create, view, modify, or unpack an archive SYNOPSIS
file-roller [--add] [--add-to=archive] [--default-dir=folder] [--extract] [--extract-to=folder] [--force] [--help] [--usage] DESCRIPTION
The File Roller application enables you to create, view, modify, or unpack an archive. An archive is a file that acts as a container for other files. An archive can contain many files, folders, and subfolders, usually in compressed form. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --add Ask for the name of the archive, then add the files, then quit the application. You can also use -a to specify this option. --add-to=archive Add files to the specified archive, then quit the application. You can also use -d to specify this option. --default-dir=folder Specify the default folder for the--add and --extract options. --extract Ask for the name of the destination folder, then extract the files, then quit the application. You can also use -f to specify this option. --extract-to=folder Extract archives to the specified folder, then quit the application. You can also use -e to specify this option. --force Create the destination folder without asking for confirmation. --help Display help text. You can also use -? to specify this option. --usage Display brief usage text. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Unpacking an Archive example% file-roller --extract archive EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/file-roller Executable for File Roller application. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNW | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
File Roller Manual NOTES
Written by Laszlo Kovacs, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 29 Sep 2003 file-roller(1)