Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Why does my for loop does not work right in ksh? Post 302412972 by clx on Wednesday 14th of April 2010 06:45:06 AM
Old 04-14-2010
where is the for loop? can you post the ksh part?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Force delete key to work in aix ksh ?

I'm using AIX console over putty. I'm not very happy with default ksh command editing capabilities so I forced insert mode, arrow keys and command history by issuing: set -o emacs alias __D=`echo "\002"` alias __C=`echo "\006"` in emacs mode history works using ctrl+p, so only thing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The loop that dosent work

I have a serious problem and Im sure im just doing something stupid ######Start Load while do /export/home/mldwh/rkem_refresh/int_load/scripts/rkem_refresh.sh sleep 10 while do sleep 5 done done ######Log and Runstats sleep... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadionne
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ksh Why Won't IF Statement work?

I'm trying to figure out why this if statement won't work: if || $zipcount != 6 ]] then echo ${myline} echo "ZIPCODE WARNING! ${zipcode} ${zipcount}" fi if ]] then echo ${myline} echo "STATE WARNING!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: developncode
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make ksh to work on solaries

i have a script i which i am using #!/bin/ksh todate=$(date +%m%d%y) dir="$dir/port${todate}" the above one works in linux ...ut not working in solaries could some one please help me in that (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop doesn't work

I have a script which uses below for loop: for (( i = 0 ; i <= 5; i++ )) do echo "Welcome $i times" done But when I run the script, it gives error message: Syntex Error : Bad for loop variable Can anyone guide to run it? Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date command does not work in a KSH when called from Cron

Hi, I'm trying to execute a job on the last day of every month, for which i'm using the following code in my Korn shell script : if ]; then echo allowed only on last day of month. Today is `date +%d` >t.stm echo Tomorrow is `date +%d -d tomorrow` >s.stm exit 0 fi ... ....... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: devilsadvocate
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

export variable from ksh script doesn't work

Hi there, in a script I have #!/usr/bin/ksh TEST=hello export TEST Problem is, that the variable doesn't get exported. I also tried typeset -x TEST=hello When I put the two lines in my .profile, the variable is set fine. Whats could be the problem here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doc_symbiosis
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop doesnt work

It just does the break...even though the files are not the same... # Compare extracts #========================================== count=0 while (( count < 5 )) do (( count+=1 )) echo "Try $count" file1=$(ls -l /tmp/psjava.xml|... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

while - loop does not work

Hey guys, maybe you can help me.. what am i doing wrong? Why this doesn`t work in ksh. while do echo "Type y or n" read decision if then doInstall fi done i also tried this ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcitan
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

${!var} does not work in ksh

Anyone knows why the following function does not work in ksh (it does in bash)? var() # Displays var value; case insensitive { _var="$1" if ; then echo ${!_var} else _var=$(echo "$_var" | tr 'a-z' 'A-Z') echo ${!_var} fi unset _var }$ var home ksh:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorbrca
4 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)