Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename folder/directory after running sort script Post 302412894 by clx on Tuesday 13th of April 2010 11:37:27 PM
Old 04-14-2010
please try this:

Code:
for file in *.txt
do
 dir=$(echo "$file" | cut -d ' ' -f 1)
 mkdir -p $dir
 mv "$file" $dir
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple BASH shell script to rename webcam jpg and copy into a new directory.

System: Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex I'm running webcamd as a sort of "security" program, but I need a script that will archive my webcam.jpg files. So, take the following file: /home/slag/www/webcam.jpg Rename it--preferably with a time stamp. Place it in say: /home/slag/www/history/ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robfindlay
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unique Directory and Folder Deletion Script

Ok, so I just got charged with the task of deleting some 300 user folders in a FTP server to free up some space. I managed to grep and cut the list of user folders to delete into a list of one user folder per line. Example: bob00 jane01 sue03 In the home folder, there are folders a-z, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: b4sher
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with all files in a folder

Hi I have many files in a folder (like 200) and I want to run a Perl script through all of them. One way would be to do it one by one (which will take forever). But I am sure there is a faster way of doing it. So inside the folder i have files named in no particular way eg. YUI456... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to rename all files within a folder...

Hi. I don't have any experience with making scripts in bash. I need a simple script to rename all files in a folder to the format file1.avi, file2.avi, file3.avi, and so on..... Please note that the original files have different filenames and different extensions. But they all need to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dranzer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to rename files in a folder - please help with script

Hello, I am new to shell scripting and stuck on renaming files in a folder. The files have the format chp01_00001.wav chp01_00002.wav .... chp02_00001.wav chp02_00002.wav .... but I want them to have the following names: chp_bloomy_00001.wav chp_bloomy_00002.wav chp_bloomy_00003.wav... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloomy
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT!!! bash script to sort files into folder according to a string in the filename

Hi all. I am very new to linux scripting and i have a task i can only solve with a script. I need to sort files base on the date string in their filenames and create a folder using the same date string then move the files to their respective folders. Scenario: Folder Path:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ace47
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to sort files into folder according to a string in the filename

Hi all. I am very new to linux scripting and i have a task i can only solve with a script. I need to sort files base on the date string in their filenames and create a folder using the same date string then move the files to their respective folders. Scenario: Folder Path:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ace47
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to rename files in a directory

Dear friends, I have created a script to rename all files in a directory by appending the file name with username (who created the file), the date it was created. For example, "apple.doc" should be renamed to "johnFeb23apple.doc" where "john" is the owner and "Feb23" is file created date. It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djsnifer
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Enter a Directory (Folder Name Contains Spaces)

I am writing a shell script to cd to a folder. folder name is "October Scripts" I am currently storing the name of folder in a shell variable as so path="October\ Scripts/". If I do cd $path I receive the error bash: cd: October\: No such file or directory What am I doing wrong? Kindly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand2308
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writitng a script to rename file name and copy to other folder

Hi All, My requirement is as follows: A file (say abc) will be having list of the .txt file names. I need to read this abc file line by line and rename the .txt file names inside it and move them to other folder/path. Eg: abc ------- file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Output (should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pavan.yadalla
1 Replies
sortm(1mh)																sortm(1mh)

Name
       sortm - sort messages

Syntax
       sortm [ msgs ] [ +folder ] [ options ]

Description
       The command sorts all the messages in the current folder into chronological order according to the contents of the Date: fields of the mes-
       sages.

By default, sorts all the messages in the current folder.  You can select particular messages in the folder by giving a range of  messages.
       You can also sort messages in another folder by specifying the folder name.

If  encounters  a  message without a Date: field, or if the message has a Date: field that cannot parse, it attempts to keep the message in
       the same relative position.  However, this does not always work; for instance, if the first message encountered lacks a date which  can	be
       parsed, then it will usually be placed at the end of the messages being sorted.

When complains about a message which it cannot order, it complains about the message number prior to sorting.

Options
       -datefield field
		 Specifies the name of the header field to use when making the date comparison.  If you have a special field in each message, such
		 as Delivery-Date:, then the -datefield switch can be used to tell which field to examine.  If you do not give	this  option,  the
		 default is to use the Date: header field.

-help	 Prints a list of all the valid options to this command.

-verbose
       -noverbose
		 Displays the general actions that it is taking to place the folder in sorted order.  The -noverbose option performs these actions
		 silently.  The default is -noverbose.

The default settings for this command are:

+folder defaults to the current folder
	      msgs defaults to all
	      -datefield date
	      -noverbose

Profile Components
       Path:   To determine your MH directory

Examples
       The following example sorts all the messages in the folder
       % sortm +meetings

The next example sorts messages 10-30 in the folder called