Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris What kind of steps should be followed while applying patch in real time? Post 302412862 by garskoci on Tuesday 13th of April 2010 06:40:26 PM
Old 04-13-2010
I don't patch a server real-time. I'm sure that there are multiple ways of doing this. Unfortunately, patching isn't 100% fool proof. I prefer this method over something like live upgrade because I have control over what I'm doing. A little CYA will pay off in the long run. I do something like this to patch a server when using SDS.
1) check hardware. reboot the server to ensure that it comes up cleanly
2) detach the mirror
3) remove the meta DB info from /etc/system
4) change the meta device info in /etc/vfstab to standard names and paths
5) boot off of the mirror to ensure the mirror is bootable
6) boot off the root disk
7) patch as needed
8) boot off the root disk
9) put meta DB and device info back into /etc/system and /etc/vfstab
10) boot off the metadevice
11) run server for a week
12) if all is good, re-establish root mirror

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Applying Recommended Patch Cluster to Whole Root Zone

Hi there, Apologies if this question has been asked and answered already but I've not been able to find the thread. Question: Is it possible to apply the Solaris 10 Recommended Patch Cluster to a whole root (non-global) zone locally? I.E. apply the patch cluster from the non-global in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nm146332
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to convert epoch time to real time

Dear experts, I have an epoch time input file such as : - 1302451209564 1302483698948 1302485231072 1302490805383 1302519244700 1302492787481 1302505299145 1302506557022 1302532112140 1302501033105 1302511536485 1302512669550 I need the epoch time above to be converted into real... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aismann
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Jumpstart and Applying Recommended Patch Cluster

I'm trying to setup our jumpstart server to automatically apply the latest patch cluster during installs, but I'm running into an issue. Every time Jumpstart runs it has this error. Obviously it's processing the patch_order file, so I'm not sure what I'm missing. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Typical steps to be followed while applying an application patch upgrade on linux

what are the typical steps used by system adminstrators while applying an application patch upgrade (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting real time to epoch time

# date +%s -d "Mon Feb 11 02:26:04" 1360567564 # perl -e 'print scalar localtime(1360567564), "\n";' Mon Feb 11 02:26:04 2013 the epoch conversion is working fine. but one of my application needs 13 digit epoch time as input 1359453135154 rather than 10 digit epoch time 1360567564... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Recompile the kernel after applying a patch in Ubuntu.

I have applied a patch using this command: patch -p1 < (file) then I did git commit -a. Now I want to recompile the kernel for making this patch live. Should I use make oldconfig or make localmodconfig After that, make -j$(grep -c "processor" /proc/cpuinfo) sudo make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BHASKAR JUPUDI
1 Replies

7. Debian

Applying patch for Samba version 4.1.17

The version of Samba in our billing server is 4.1.17-Debian. I have been reminded by our management to implement the patch for Samba on this server. However, I am not sure how to implement the patch. I have browsed some websites for the correct patch to implement for Samba 4.1.17, and the patch... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
11 Replies
LVCONVERT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      LVCONVERT(8)

NAME
lvconvert - convert a logical volume from linear to mirror or snapshot SYNOPSIS
lvconvert -m|--mirrors Mirrors [--mirrorlog {disk|core}] [--corelog] [-R|--regionsize MirrorLogRegionSize] [-A|--alloc AllocationPolicy] [-b|--background] [-i|--interval Seconds] [-h|-?|--help] [-v|--verbose] [--version] LogicalVolume[Path] [PhysicalVolume[Path]...] lvconvert -s|--snapshot [-c|--chunksize ChunkSize] [-h|-?|--help] [-v|--verbose] [-Z|--zero y|n] [--version] OriginalLogicalVolume[Path] SnapshotLogicalVolume[Path] DESCRIPTION
lvconvert will change a linear logical volume to a mirror logical volume or to a snapshot of linear volume and vice versa. It is also used to add and remove disk logs from mirror devices. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. Exactly one of --mirrors or --snapshot arguments required. -m, --mirrors Mirrors Specifies the degree of the mirror you wish to create. For example, "-m 1" would convert the original logical volume to a mirror volume with 2-sides; that is, a linear volume plus one copy. --mirrorlog {disk|core} Specifies the type of log to use. The default is disk, which is persistent and requires a small amount of storage space, usually on a separate device from the data being mirrored. Core may be useful for short-lived mirrors: It means the mirror is regenerated by copying the data from the first device again every time the device is activated - perhaps, for example, after every reboot. --corelog The optional argument "--corelog" is the same as specifying "--mirrorlog core". -R, --regionsize MirrorLogRegionSize A mirror is divided into regions of this size (in MB), and the mirror log uses this granularity to track which regions are in sync. -b, --background Run the daemon in the background. -i, --interval Seconds Report progress as a percentage at regular intervals. -s, --snapshot Create a snapshot from existing logical volume using another existing logical volume as its origin. -c, --chunksize ChunkSize Power of 2 chunk size for the snapshot logical volume between 4k and 512k. -Z, --zero y|n Controls zeroing of the first KB of data in the snapshot. If the volume is read-only the snapshot will not be zeroed. Examples "lvconvert -m1 vg00/lvol1" converts the linear logical volume "vg00/lvol1" to a two-way mirror logical volume. "lvconvert --mirrorlog core vg00/lvol1" converts a mirror with a disk log to a mirror with an in-memory log. "lvconvert --mirrorlog disk vg00/lvol1" converts a mirror with an in-memory log to a mirror with a disk log. "lvconvert -m0 vg00/lvol1" converts a mirror logical volume to a linear logical volume. "lvconvert -s vg00/lvol1 vg00/lvol2" converts logical volume "vg00/lvol2" to snapshot of original volume "vg00/lvol1" SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8), lvremove(8), lvrename(8), lvextend(8), lvreduce(8), lvdisplay(8), lvscan(8) Red Hat, Inc LVM TOOLS 2.02.44-cvs (02-17-09) LVCONVERT(8)