Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do i transfer file using ftp protocol in Linux. Post 302412610 by Celtic_Monkey on Tuesday 13th of April 2010 04:00:24 AM
Old 04-13-2010
tell us more information......

which way do you want to transfer the file?

from or to the machine with the terminal session?

a typical ftp session would look something like:

$ ftp <toserver ip address / hostname>
cd /<to remote transfer directory>
lcd /<to directory where local file is>
put <filename>
bye
this is obviously a basic example but need to know more information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

File transfer using Zmodem protocol

can anybody guide me how do i initiate file transfer over modem using zmodem protocol... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: borntorock
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Secure File Transfer Protocol

Hi, Is there any protocol other than SFTP to transfer the file using secured connection SSH. ? Regards, Arthik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthikbabu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file transfer using Ftp

Hi All, I am very new to shell scripting,I have some doubts how we can do a file transfer using ftp I wanted to transfer files using non_secure ftp and secure ftp(sftp) mode, for secure ftp i am using following code verbose="verbose" ftp="/usr/bin/ftp" user="ABC" pass="123"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhi
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

SFTP Protocol: How to transfer the file in PC Format

Hi, We are facing issue with files transfered using SFTP in Hp-UX. The transfered files are in Unix Format. That is, file format as UNIX (LF) instead of a PC format (CR & LF). How can we achieve file transfers as PC format using SFTP? Your help and input will be highly appreciated. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brap45
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP transfer from Linux to unix box

Hi, I transferred a tar.gz file from a linux server to a unix server using ftp. In the unix box when i untarred, only few files with zero bytes were copied and i get "tar dir : cksum error" Could anyone help me out ? Thanks & Regards, Abinaya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abinaya
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer files from linux server to windows using secure ftp (sftp)

HI, I have to transfer files from linux server to windows using secure ftp (sftp) .Kindly help me out. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manushi88
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Transfer files from windows to solaris with winscp (file protocol:SFTP)

Hello, I have a couple of zip files to be copied from my local drive to a folder in solaris10 residing in a VM ware. i am using WINSCP, I tried to get hold of the solaris hostname or ip using ifconfig -a , hostname|nslookup etc. when i create a new session in WINSCP using that IP and port... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: herbich1985
6 Replies

8. Programming

Serial file transfer protocol / checksums

Hello ppl, I'm working on a windows program simulating an existing Unix program, the program is a firmware downloader, it sends a binary firmware file through the serial port (rs232) to a Set-Top Box running under unix system too, as i'm a poor unix user and not a unix programmer i choosed the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nidal
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfer ftp jobs from hp UNIX to Linux 6.x using cronjobs

Hello, I am new to the Unix forum.I need inputs regarding the transferring the FTP jobs from Hp unix to Linux 6.x. Here are the steps that i followed in creating the job in Linux: 1. On the HP unix box logged in as root and gave the command crontab -l. The output i have a copied it to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AReddy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What kind of transfer protocol we have in UNIX?

I was asked this question on the interview. I know ftp, sftp, scp, rcp. They said one more indi or indy Could you please let me know it? Thanks, Oleg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies
ftpd_selinux(8) 					 ftpd SELinux policy documentation					   ftpd_selinux(8)

NAME
ftpd_selinux - Security-Enhanced Linux policy for ftp daemons. DESCRIPTION
Security-Enhanced Linux provides security for ftp daemons via flexible mandatory access control. FILE_CONTEXTS SELinux requires files to have a file type. File types may be specified with semanage and are restored with restorecon. Policy governs the access that daemons have to files. Allow ftp servers to read the /var/ftp directory by adding the public_content_t file type to the directory and by restoring the file type. semanage fcontext -a -t public_content_t "/var/ftp(/.*)?" restorecon -F -R -v /var/ftp Allow ftp servers to read and write /var/tmp/incoming by adding the public_content_rw_t type to the directory and by restoring the file type. This also requires the allow_ftpd_anon_write boolean to be set. semanage fcontext -a -t public_content_rw_t "/var/ftp/incoming(/.*)?" restorecon -F -R -v /var/ftp/incoming BOOLEANS
SELinux policy is based on least privilege required and may also be customizable by setting a boolean with setsebool. Allow ftp servers to read and write files with the public_content_rw_t file type. setsebool -P allow_ftpd_anon_write on Allow ftp servers to read or write files in the user home directories. setsebool -P ftp_home_dir on Allow ftp servers to read or write all files on the system. setsebool -P allow_ftpd_full_access on Allow ftp servers to use cifs for public file transfer services. setsebool -P allow_ftpd_use_cifs on Allow ftp servers to use nfs for public file transfer services. setsebool -P allow_ftpd_use_nfs on system-config-selinux is a GUI tool available to customize SELinux policy settings. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Dan Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>. SEE ALSO
selinux(8), ftpd(8), setsebool(8), semanage(8), restorecon(8) dwalsh@redhat.com 17 Jan 2005 ftpd_selinux(8)