Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sort after 2. column in array in Perl Post 302412510 by deindorfer on Monday 12th of April 2010 09:06:07 PM
Old 04-12-2010
Bug Perl Sorting on the second Field of array elements.

Code:
my @ACCcount = qw~123 456 7898 D1234 NN781 111 900 ZMZ ZAZ~
my @sorted = sort { substr( $a, 1, 1 ) cmp substr( $b, 1, 1 ) } @ACCcount;
print map "$_\n", @sorted;

1. you are getting the "Can't use Foo as an array ref" because "@ACCcount" is an array, not an arrayref. when you say $a->[1] you are pointing at a scalar arrayref that does not exist.

2. You Can't use the spaceship operator ( <=> ) to sort, unless all the arguments are being sorted are numeric, so you are stuck with cmp ( or a custom subroutine ).

3. Since you did not provide data I made some up, but I think this is what you want. You are sorting on the second SLOT ( slot[1] ) of each element of the array. so the first to things that are being considered for sort in the example are "2" and "5" Note: they are just considered first, that is not their final position. Can you see why?

4. Here is the output, with the data i made up, except that I bolded what determined the sort order.

Code:
D1234
ZAZ
ZMZ
NN781

Hope that helps.

P.S. If you want descending reverse the positions of $a and $b.

Last edited by deindorfer; 04-12-2010 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Addt'l Comment

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort() array of strings in perl

I have a perl script with an array of clients. @arr = ("The ABC Corp", "AA Corp.", "BB Corp"); If I run @a = sort (@arr); I will get @a = ("AA Corp", "BB Corp", "The ABC Corp"); but I want @a = ("AA Corp, "The ABC Corp", "BB Corp"); How do I sort array without changing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about sort specific column and print other column at the same time !

Hi, This is my input file: ali 5 usa abc abu 4 uk bca alan 6 brazil bac pinky 10 utah sdc My desired output: pinky 10 utah sdc alan 6 brazil bac ali 5 usa abc abu 4 uk bca Based on the column two, I want to do the descending order and print out other related column at the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl sort array by field

Hi Everyone, Any simple code can simplify the code below, please advice. Thanks # cat 2.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use strict; my @aaaaa = <DATA>; my @uids; foreach (@aaaaa) { my @ccccc = split (",", $_); push @uids, $ccccc;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl, put one array into many array when field is equal to sth

Hi Everyone, #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my @test=("a;b;qqq;c;d","a;b;ggg;c;d","a;b;qqq;c;d"); would like to split the @test array into two array: @test1=(("a;b;qqq;c;d","a;b;qqq;c;d"); and @test2=("a;b;ggg;c;d"); means search for 3rd filed. Thanks find the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Sort substring occurrences in array of strings

Hi, My developer is on vacation and I am not sure if there is something which is easier for this. I have an array of strings. Each string in the array has "%" characters in it. I have to get the string(s) which have the least number of "%" in them. I know how I can get occurrences : ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array in Perl - Detect several file to be in one array

Hi everyone I have one question about using array in perl. let say I have several log file in one folder.. example test1.log test2.log test3.log and the list goes on.. how to make an array for this file? It suppose to detect log file in the current directory and all the log file will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayachop
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort flat file by 3rd column in perl

Hello Guys I want to sort a flat file by the third column (numeric ) and store it in some other name I/P 9924873|20111114|00000000000013013|130|13|10/15/2010 12:36:22|W860944|N|00 9924873|20111114|00000000000013009|130|09|10/15/2010 12:36:22|W860944|N|00... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort command in one column and not effect to another column

If my data is numerical : 1 = 101 2 = 102 3 = 104 4 = 104 7 = 103 8 = 103 9 = 105 I need the result like below: 1 = 101 2 = 102 3 = 103 4 = 103 7 = 104 8 = 104 9 = 105 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GeodusT
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sort to sort numerical column

How to sort the following output based on lowest to highest BE? The following sort does not work. $ sort -t. -k1,1n -k2,2n bfd.txt BE31.116 0s 0s DOWN DAMP BE31.116 0s 0s DOWN DAMP BE31.117 0s 0s ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
7 Replies
Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)

NAME
Net::LDAP::Control::Sort - Server Side Sort (SSS) control object SYNOPSIS
use Net::LDAP::Control::Sort; use Net::LDAP::Constant qw(LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT); $sort = Net::LDAP::Control::Sort->new( order => "cn -phone" ); $mesg = $ldap->search( @args, control => [ $sort ]); ($resp) = $mesg->control( LDAP_CONTROL_SORTRESULT ); print "Results are sorted " if $resp and !$resp->result; DESCRIPTION
"Net::LDAP::Control::Sort" is a sub-class of Net::LDAP::Control. It provides a class for manipulating the LDAP Server Side Sort (SSS) request control 1.2.840.113556.1.4.473 as defined in RFC-2891 If the server supports sorting, then the response from a search operation will include a sort result control. This control is handled by Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult. CONSTRUCTOR ARGUMENTS
order A string which defines how entries may be sorted. It consists of multiple directives, separated by whitespace. Each directive describes how to sort entries using a single attribute. If two entries have identical attributes, then the next directive in the list is used. Each directive specifies a sorting order as follows -attributeType:orderingRule The leading "-" is optional, and if present indicates that the sorting order should be reversed. "attributeType" is the attribute name to sort by. "orderingRule" is optional and indicates the rule to use for the sort and should be valid for the given "attributeType". Any one attributeType should only appear once in the sorting list. Examples "cn" sort by cn using the default ordering rule for the cn attribute "-cn" sort by cn using the reverse of the default ordering rule "age cn" sort by age first, then by cn using the default ordering rules "cn:1.2.3.4" sort by cn using the ordering rule defined as 1.2.3.4 METHODS
As with Net::LDAP::Control each constructor argument described above is also available as a method on the object which will return the current value for the attribute if called without an argument, and set a new value for the attribute if called with an argument. SEE ALSO
Net::LDAP, Net::LDAP::Control::SortResult, Net::LDAP::Control, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2891.txt AUTHOR
Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> Please report any bugs, or post any suggestions, to the perl-ldap mailing list <perl-ldap@perl.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Graham Barr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-07-21 Net::LDAP::Control::Sort(3)