Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete new line characters from a file Post 302412445 by EAGL€ on Monday 12th of April 2010 02:12:39 PM
Old 04-12-2010
use double backslashes to get rid of $ at the end and ^
Code:
awk -F\; '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) gsub("^[ \t]*|[ \t]*$|\\^|\\$$","",$i)}1' OFS=\; infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete a file with special characters

I don't now exactly how I did it, but I created a file named " -C " cexdi:/home1 $ls -lt total 1801336 -rw------- 1 cexdi ced-group 922275840 23 mars 10:03 -C How do I delete this file ? cexdi:/home1 $rm -C rm: invalid option -- C Syntax : rm filename ... Doesn't work...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yveslagace
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete non printable characters from file

i have a file which contains non printable characters like enter,escape etc i want to delete them from the file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete M-^M characters from a file

I am receiving a file with 'M-^M' characters...how do I get rid of these characters. I tried tr -d '\015' and sed '/^M//g', but they didnot work. Appreciate if someone can help me with this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hyennah
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete characters using a file

Hi All, I have a configuration file (file.cfg) in which data will be like this ; , _ + a to z A to Z Now i have to read a textfile (file.txt) and i need to check whether there is any other character present in text file that is not existing in (file.cfg). If other characters are present... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete duplicated characters in each line

I'm a biologist trying to analyse some data and I'll appreciate some help with the following problem. I have a column of characters which I'll like to delete the duplicated characters in each line and report only the unique one.No sorting should be done. E.g. The original data: GTG CTC CTC... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete characters from each line

Hi, I have a file that has data in the following manner, tt_0.00001.dat 123.000 tt_0.00002.dat 124.000 tt_0.00002.dat 125.000 This is consistent for all the entries in the file. I want to delete the 'tt_' and '.dat' from each line. Could anyone please guide me how to do this using awk or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to Delete first 10 characters of a file name

Hello Everyone, I need help in deleting first 10 characters from the filename in a directory eg: 1234567890samplefile1.txt 1234567890samplefile2.txt and so on.. need to get the output as samplefile1.txt Thanks in Advance!!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivia
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete first 2 characters for each line, please help

hi, ./R1_970330_210505.sard ./R1_970403_223412.sard ./R1_970626_115235.sard ./R1_970626_214344.sard ./R1_970716_234214.sard ... ... ... for these strings, i wanna remove the ./ for each line how can i do that? i know it could possibly be done by sed, but i really have not idea how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How delete characters of specific line with sed?

Hi, I have a text file with some lines like this: /MEDIA/DISK1/23568742.MOV /MEDIA/DISK1/87456321.AVI /MEDIA/DISK2/PART1/45753131.AVI /IMPORT/44452.WAV ... I want to remove the last 12 characters in each line that it ends "AVI". Should look like this: /MEDIA/DISK1/23568742.MOV... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: inaki
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete text between two characters in line?

Hi, I have a large text file with the following format: >gi|347545744|gb|JN204951.1| Dismorphia spio voucher 5 ATCAAATTCCTTCCTCTCCTTAAA >gi|17544664774|gb|WN204922.32| Rodapara nigens gene region CCGGGCAAATTCCTTCCTCTCCTTAAA >gi|555466400|gb|SG255122.8| Bombyx mandariana genbank 3... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: euspilapteryx
1 Replies
wc(1)							      General Commands Manual							     wc(1)

NAME
wc - count words, lines, and bytes or characters in a file SYNOPSIS
[file]... DESCRIPTION
The command counts lines, words, and bytes or characters in the named files, or in the standard input if no file names are specified. It also keeps a total count for all named files. A word is a string of characters delimited by spaces, tabs, or newlines. Options recognizes the following options: Report the number of bytes in each input file. Report the number of newline characters in each input file. Report the number of characters in each input file. Report the number of words in each input file. The and options are mutually exclusive. Otherwise, the and or options can be used in any combination to specify that a subset of lines, words, and bytes or characters are to be reported. When any option is specified, reports only the information requested. If no option is specified, the default output is When a file is specified on the command line, its name is printed along with the counts. Standard Output By default, the standard output contains an entry for each input file in the form: newlines words bytes file If the option is specified, the number of characters replaces the bytes field in this format. If any option is specified, the fields for the unspecified options are omitted. If no file operand is specified, neither the file name nor the preceding blank character is written. If more than one file operand is specified, an additional line is written at the end of the output, of the same format as the other lines, except that the word (in the POSIX locale) is written instead of a file name and the total of each column is written as appropriate. Under UNIX Standard environment, a word is a string of characters delimited by spaces, tabs, newline, carriage-return, vertical tab, or form-feed. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
For information about the UNIX Standard environment, see standards(5). Environment Variables determines the range of graphics and space characters, and the interpretation of text as single- and/or multibyte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is null, they default to the value of If is not specified or is null, it defaults to (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, they all default to See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multibyte character code sets are supported. with a newline character, the count will be off by one. WARNINGS
The command counts the number of newlines to determine the line count. If a text file has a final line that is not terminated with a new- line character, the count will be off by one. EXAMPLES
Print the number of words and characters in The following is printed when the above command is executed: where words is the number of words and chars is the number of characters in SEE ALSO
standards(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
wc(1)