Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Input A Menu Selection In A Variable Post 302412053 by Franklin52 on Sunday 11th of April 2010 09:47:36 AM
Old 04-11-2010
Hi,

Reassign the new choice to the variable menu_choice before the echo commands:
Code:
menu_choice="Menu option "$choice" selected"
echo $menu_choice

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu help with array selection

Hi there all I got the following I got multiple arrays named for example STAT_AAAA STAT_AAAB STAT_AAAC STAT_AAAD Now what I want I have chosen an option in a menu to select 1 but I dont want to write for all the same thing so I made it a signle one now what I want is to get STAT_ and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: draco
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Selection Operation Error

Ok i have taken your advised indented my code and i have managed to fix my problem but unfortuantely now another small one has arisen. The problem is that executing my commands requires two presses of the ENTER key as opposed to the originally being pressed once as one would expect, for example... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: warlock129
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping ls to zenity and returning selection to variable

Hi I'm fairly new to unix and scripting (in BASH) and am here to post my first question. What I'm trying to do is pipe a sorted listing (ls) to zenity and when the list appears to the user, the choice they choose is returned to a variable so it can be used in conditional statements. I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vayshan
2 Replies

4. Linux

Opt out of selection menu?

When I logon to my server with PuTTY I am forced into a selection menu with few options. How to I opt out of this menu to get to the home directory to view all of the files on the server? Thanks for the help. :o (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksirimarco
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

reprint the select menu after a selection

Hi, I am using a select in ksh for a script #!/bin/ksh FIRSTLIST='one two three four quit' PS3='Please select a number: ' select i in $FIRSTLIST ; do case $i in one) print 'this is one' ;; two) print 'this is 2' ;; three) print 'this is 3' ;; four) print... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omerzzz
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A selection menu in a shell script

I'm writing a shell script and have a problem with selection when I issue the command, is there a way to automatically choose a selection number one after a selection menue appear Command 1-choice 2- choice 3-choice Thanks Sara (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamic menu selection? Help..

Hi guys, i would like to create a program that allow user to show the information of certain thing such as network card. I would like the menu to be dynamic, for example: my computer system have 2 network card inserted at the moment, therefore the menu will have 2 choice for the user. eth0... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: malfolozy
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Php assign selection to a variable

can someone help me assign the selection of a drop down menu to a variable? the variable i need to store the selection in is inputA. <form name="inputA"> <p align="center"> <p align="center">Name: <input name="inputA" type="text" size="45"> <select> <?php if ($handle =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dialog --menu limitation for the entries for selection

Hi Guys, Please pardon me if this is a silly question, but I have tried to find an answer and going through the man page and failed to get one. I have created a menu driven script with dialog --menu option. Everything is working as expeted, however, it seems that if I have more than 10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ww889
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with 'select' for menu input

A lot of my scripting makes use of the 'select' command to create menu driven input. A typical example of how I use it is as: somevar='' PS3='Select one: ' while ]; do select somevar in $(sqlplus -s $dbuser/$dbpw@mydb <<EOF set echo off feedback off verify off... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
7 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)