Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capturing the exit status of the script running in background Post 302411968 by paragkalra on Saturday 10th of April 2010 12:15:00 PM
Old 04-10-2010
Capturing the exit status of the script running in background

Hi All,

I have a scenario where I am executing some child shell scripts in background (using &)through a master parent script.

Is there a way I can capture the exit status of each individual child script after the execution is completed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capturing exit status ($?) in subshell ??

I am trying to capture the exit status of a parent shell in a subshell. I am using the trap .. Exit command in the subshell I cant use the export command in the parent shell to to export a variable with the exit status to the subshell. I would have tooooo many parent shells to change. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bob Bannon
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit status of Invoking two or more scripts in background

I have a sript which is going to trigger other 3 scripts in background simultaneously for eg: Main Script:(main.sh) ----------- sh a.sh & sh b.sh & sh c.sh & How to catch the exit status and store it in a variable for all those three scripts in main script. Is there any other way of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omkumar
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieving exit status from background processes

Hi, I need to retrieve the exit status of 4 moves running as background processes. The wait command will not work since it can only give me the exit status of the last of the background processes. Here's a sample of what I need !#/bin/ksh mv /dir1/subdir1/*.Z /dir6/subdir6/ & mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MG537
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with exit after running jobs in background

I have the following sample script to run a script the jobs with the same priority(in this case field3) in parallel; wait for the jobs to finish and run the next set of jobs in parallel.When all the lines are read exit the script. I have the following script which is doing evrything I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hyennah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs exit status and limit the number of jobs to run

i need to execute 5 jobs at a time in background and need to get the exit status of all the jobs i wrote small script below , i'm not sure this is right way to do it.any ideas please help. $cat run_job.ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh #################################### typeset -u SCHEMA_NAME=$1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
1 Replies

6. Programming

exit status running java classpath in unix shell

I have a java classpath running inside of a unix shell script. During my testing it will error with lines that show an example like this below. java.io.FileNotFoundException error at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:129), ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmcds
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know the status of process running in background

I have run one shell script in background that contains a endless while loop. I am not able to know the status of that job . Please provide any command to know this. I have already used "ps -aef" , "jobs" to know it , but it didn't work. I am sure the process is running as it is generating a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanta
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get status of dd running in background job

Hello everyone While working on TUI for scripts, there there came the idea to' add a command' for dd too. That was, after 'wrapping' tar and wget either, to display their growing size and return the exit code with a textual-visual-feedback to the user. Now displaying the filesize of a... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for continuously checking status of a another script running in background, and immedia

Hi, I want to write a script which continuously checking status of a script running in background by nohup command. And if same script is not running then immediately start the script...please help.. i am using below command to run script nohup system_traps.sh & but in some... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Script to manage background scripts (running, finished, exit code)

Heyas, Since this question (similar) occur every now and then, and given the fact i was thinking about it just recently (1-2 weeks) anyway, i started to write something :p The last point for motivation was... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
17 Replies
WAIT(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   WAIT(1)

NAME
wait -- await process completion SYNOPSIS
wait [pid] DESCRIPTION
If invoked with no arguments, the wait utility waits until all existing child processes in the background have terminated. Available operands: pid If a pid operand is specified, and it is the process ID of a background child process that still exists, the wait utility waits until that process has completed and consumes its status information, without consuming the status information of any other process. If a pid operand is specified that is not the process ID of a child background process that still exists, wait exits without waiting for any processes to complete. The wait utility exits with one of the following values: 0 The wait utility was invoked with no operands and all of the existing background child processes have terminated, or the process specified by the pid operand exited normally with 0 as its exit status. >0 The specified process did not exist and its exit status information was not available, or the specified process existed or its exit status information was available, and it terminated with a non-zero exit status. If the specified process terminated abnormally due to the receipt of a signal, the exit status information of wait contains that termination status as well. STANDARDS
The wait command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD