Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Old hand to FreeBSD, brand new to KDE ??'s Post 302411917 by droolin on Friday 9th of April 2010 08:10:00 PM
Old 04-09-2010
Ok, it's been a bit sense I posted that question and I have become a bit more comfortable with the kde. Wish this machine had some more guts under the hood, only a p4 but with 2 gig of mem.

kde 3.5, I have the ability to configure more then one desktop and can actually ctrl/tab my way through them. It's kind of cool, but I don't really use it. yet.

With regard to my original question, I have done everything through the command line with regard to the ports/packages.

Thank you for the followup. I'm still punting my way through this setup... But, I like it for the most part.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD 4.4 Uninstalling KDE or GNOME

Hey all :) I finally got around to installing FreeBSD 4.4, which considering it's my first attempt with *nix, didn't go too badly. I've managed to configure X and everything else, but I've got a bit of a problem, lol. I installed KDE and GNOME. I had a rough idea as to what they were, but I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellz
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Give us a hand

How do you get an awk output into columns i.e. awk (print $1,$2,$3) doesn't come out into nice columns but lots of lines of txt want something more like. I am crap at unix so give me a hand thx Rich (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardB
3 Replies

3. BSD

FreeBSD / KDE installation woes...

Forgive the newbie question. I've been trying to install FreeBSD 5.4 on a new AMD64 based box at work today, and I started running into problems. Maybe some background is appropriate? Here goes... I've finished the first stage of development of a model in C++ which simulates airflow through a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ForestryJim
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the most left hand string ??

Hi, I remember once seeing a way to get the left most string in a word. Let's say: a="First.Second.Third" (separated by dot) echo ${a#*.} shows --> Second.Third echo ${a##*.} shows --> Third How do I get the the left most string "First" Or "First.Second" ??? Tried to replace #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfortes
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a hand. Please?

i have a script in sh. with awk, e.g. want to list all the contents of a subdirectory an a tabular way. ej: outoput directory1 subdirectory1 subdirectory2 subdirectory3 file1 filen file2 filez file2 ... filen+1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

6. Debian

change initramfs by hand?

What's the correct way to change the initramfs file that's used during boot? I know that it's a gzipped cpio archive, but when I gunzip, extract, re-archive (without changing any files), and gzip, then the result is that the system does not boot any more. And I even set the cpio archive type. ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankie06
18 Replies

7. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Just want to ask if there is a shorter hand to doing this one liner

Hi all, In Oracle, I am using SQL*Plus and selecting all rows in a table and spooling to a file as pipe delimited. I have to use pagesize 0 but unfortunately, using this option excludes the header and I can't get around having it to display the header fields. So to get around this, I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
KBUILDSYCOCA4(8)						 KDE User's Manual						  KBUILDSYCOCA4(8)

NAME
kbuildsycoca4 - Rebuilds the system configuration cache. SYNOPSIS
kbuildsycoca4 [[--nosignal] | [--noincremental] | [--checkstamps] | [--nocheckfiles] | [--global] | [--menutest] | [--track menu-id] | [--help] | [--help-qt] | [--help-kde] | [--help-all] | [--author] | [-v, --version] | [--license]] DESCRIPTION
kbuildsycoca4, as part of the KDE command line tools ensures the proper operation of KDE by reading in all the .desktop, .xml, and .protocol files to construct a binary database. KDE itself accesses this database during operation to provide configuration information a program needs to run. This tool is part of ksycoca4, which stands for KDE System Configuration Cache OPTIONS
--nosignal Do not signal applications to update --noincremental Disable incremental update, re-read everything --checkstamps Check file timestamps --nocheckfiles Disable checking files (dangerous) --global Create global database --menutest Perform menu generation test run only --track menu-id Track menu id for debug purposes --help Show help about options --help-qt Show Qt specific options --help-kde Show KDE specific options --help-all Show all options --author Show author information -v , --version Show version information --license Show license information USAGE
A standard way to run this program is by simply specifying the following command at the prompt kbuildsycoca4 FILES
/var/tmp/kde-$USER/ksycoca4 The default directory where the cache files are stored. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
$KDEDIRS Specifies which directories are part of the KDE installations $KDESYCOCA Specifies the path to the sycoca database file SEE ALSO
kdeinit4 BUGS
There are probably tons of bugs. Use bugs.kde.org[1] to report them. AUTHOR
Darian Lanx <content@openprojects.net> Author. NOTES
1. bugs.kde.org http://bugs.kde.org 1.1 (KDE 4.4) 2010-01-04 KBUILDSYCOCA4(8)