Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to append a string to next line in perl Post 302411825 by durden_tyler on Friday 9th of April 2010 01:51:03 PM
Old 04-09-2010
Maybe something like this ?

Code:
$
$
$ cat addrss
NAME:ADDRESS:STATE:CITY:CONTACT
$
$ cat -n f9.sh
     1  #!/usr/bin/bash
     2  perl -e '
     3  open(IN, "addrss");
     4  open(OUT, ">> addrss");
     5  while (<IN>) {
     6    chomp(@col_val=split(/:/));
     7    for($i=0; $i<=$#col_val; $i++) {
     8      print("Enter value for $col_val[$i] : ");
     9      chomp($newval[$i]=<STDIN>);
    10    }
    11    $str=join(":", @newval)."\n";
    12    print OUT $str;
    13    exit 0;
    14  }
    15  close(IN);
    16  close(OUT);
    17  '
$
$ ./f9.sh
Enter value for NAME : name_1
Enter value for ADDRESS : address_1
Enter value for STATE : state_1
Enter value for CITY : city_1
Enter value for CONTACT : contact_1
$
$ cat addrss
name_1:address_1:state_1:city_1:contact_1
$
$
$ ./f9.sh
Enter value for NAME : name_2
Enter value for ADDRESS : address_2
Enter value for STATE : state_2
Enter value for CITY : city_2
Enter value for CONTACT : contact_2
$
$ cat addrss
name_1:address_1:state_1:city_1:contact_1
name_2:address_2:state_2:city_2:contact_2
$
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using PERL to append chars to each line

I tried using SED to do this, but I'm not having any luck with it. See the previous thread here. I have a program called AMStracker (on OS X) that spits out the values of the motion sensor in the HDD. It has output that looks like this: . . 3 0 -75 3 0 -76 3 0 -77 . . I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0nn0r
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: simple question on string append

I want to append a decimal number to a string. But I want to restrict the number to only 2 decimal points for e.g: my $output = "\n The number is = "; my $number = 2.3333333; $output = $output . $number; But I want the $output as: "The number is = 2.33"; and not 2.3333333 (I do not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_learner
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOWTO Append String to End of Line

I have a comma delimited text file and need to appened ",000000" to the end of every line. For example: Before: "D700000","2006" ,"5000","Open Year" ,"Conversion" ,"Wk64","Productive Payroll $" ,1103.45 After: "D700000","2006" ,"5000","Open Year" ,"Conversion" ,"Wk64","Productive Payroll... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bggibson
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

line contains a string write to new file otherwise append

hi i have the following function, reading file line by line, if line contains "Change state" i need to cut some fields otherwise i need to append the total line to the new file function parse() { while read LINE do echo $LINE |grep -q "Change state" if then echo $LINE |grep -q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

append string with spaces to a line

hi i have a file like (every string contains 16 chars) CTL1330000000000 0000 00 008000 0080000000 i need to form a line and write to a file CTL13300000000000000 00008000 0080000000 total chars should be 64 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string at start of line

Hi, I want to append # at the start of line wherever keyword xyz is found through stream editor? Is it possible? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: db2cap
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl search and append new line

Dear All, I want search two lines and append some string in between these lines. Input file tmp,123 ,10:123 tmp,666 ,50:999 tmp,2:19800 5,3:21. tmp,2:19800 55555555 tmp,2:19800 5,3:21.Output should be tmp,123 ,10:123 tmp,666 ,50:999 tmp,2:19800 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to first line of a file

Hi, Please suggest me to write unix command, HEADER20110101 string append to first line of a file.. Regards Akshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshu.agni
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append a string on the next line after a pattern string is found

Right now, my code is: s/Secondary Ins./Secondary Ins.\ 1/g It's adding a 1 as soon as it finds Secondary Ins. Primary Ins.: MEDICARE B DMERC Secondary Ins. 1: CONTINENTAL LIFE INS What I really want to achieve is having a 1 added on the next line that contain "Secondary Ins." It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append this string to end of each line

Platform: Solaris 10 I have a file like below $ cat languages.txt Spanish Norwegian English Persian German Portugese Chinese Korean Hindi Malayalam Bengali Italian Greek Arabic I want to append the string " is a great language" at end of each line in this file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
3 Replies
Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)

NAME
Alien::Package::Rpm - an object that represents a rpm package DESCRIPTION
This is an object class that represents a rpm package. It is derived from Alien::Package. FIELDS
prefixes Relocatable rpm packages have a prefixes field. METHODS
checkfile Detect rpm files by their extention. install Install a rpm. If RPMINSTALLOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. scan Implement the scan method to read a rpm file. unpack Implement the unpack method to unpack a rpm file. This is a little nasty because it has to handle relocatable rpms and has to do a bit of permissions fixing as well. prep Prepare for package building by generating the spec file. cleantree Delete the spec file. build Build a rpm. If RPMBUILDOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. An optional parameter, if passed, can be used to specify the program to use to build the rpm. It defaults to rpmbuild. version Set/get version. When retreiving the version, remove any dashes in it. postinst postrm preinst prerm Set/get script fields. When retrieving a value, we have to do some truely sick mangling. Since debian/slackware scripts can be anything -- perl programs or binary files -- and rpm is limited to only shell scripts, we need to encode the files and add a scrap of shell script to make it unextract and run on the fly. When setting a value, we do some mangling too. Rpm maintainer scripts are typically shell scripts, but often lack the leading shebang line. This can confuse dpkg, so add the shebang if it looks like there is no shebang magic already in place. Additionally, it's not uncommon for rpm maintainer scripts to contain bashisms, which can be triggered when they are ran on systems where /bin/sh is not bash. To work around this, the shebang line of the scripts is changed to use bash. Also, if the rpm is relocatable, the script could refer to RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX, which is set by rpm at run time. Deal with this by adding code to the script to set RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX. arch Set/get arch field. When the arch field is set, some sanitizing is done first to convert it to the debian format used internally. When it's retreived it's converted back to rpm form from the internal form. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> perl v5.14.2 2011-08-05 Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)