Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Adding a user twice to Solaris OS Post 302411776 by masloff on Friday 9th of April 2010 11:11:24 AM
Old 04-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
It is possible by directly editing the password file and has some use case (creating aliases with a different password). The command lines will refuse doing it though.
and what is the possible use for such aliases? different UID & passwd - same username?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

adding a user in single user mode

Just got a solaris 8 blade 150 box with no users, only a root account. no one seems to know the password. I'd like to add one user. So I booted into single user mode via cdrom and added one. Can't seem to login using the new account, though. Here's what I'm using: # useradd -d /tmp/"user" -m... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Error while adding a new user using Solaris Management Console.

Hi All, I am adding a new user by using Solaris Manamement Console after Remotely Access through Xmanager 1.3.9. But after completing all steps its through an error as follows. The Actual Error Reported was : The management Domain file :/abc/abc do not exist or can not be managed on abc. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: response_manu
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

adding long user name

hello everybody: I need to add a 10 character user name to my tru64 system, is there any work around I can use for that. thanks alot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aladdin
1 Replies

4. SCO

adding a user

In SCO Unix, where does useradd or adding a user through scoadmin (gui) pick the initial default .profile (login profile) that is put in the users home folder? In Solaris its in the /etc/skel/.profile. I would like to replace it with a custom .profile; so that it's picked automatically when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: othman
1 Replies

5. Solaris

help adding a new user/password

I just installed Solaris 10 yesterday and I need to create a new username and password. I'm new to the system and I have yet to learn my way around. I appreciate all help and thank you in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bones
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Adding user

Hello All, New to Solaris, I added a new user by cmd " useradd -d /export/home/username -m username " but wondered when I tried to login with this new username, It doesn't automatically redirect to the user's home folder. Can anyone suggest about this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
9 Replies

7. Solaris

Adding User in Solaris Error.....

Hi all, when I type this command useradd -d /home/ram89 -m ram89 it gives an error unable to create home directory. Why so ? How to create user in Solaris? The perfect method? Please guide me. Thanks in advance Manali. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Adding user with Sudo permission in solaris 9

How can I add user with Sudo permission in solaris 9 ? I'm new in Solaris (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmednoaman
2 Replies
getauth(8)						      System Manager's Manual							getauth(8)

Name
       getauth, setauth, rmauth - auth database maintenance

Syntax
       getauth [username]

setauth

rmauth username

Description
       The  command  takes as it's only argument a user name or UID.  If a user name is supplied it is converted to a UID by searching through The
       UID is then used to look up the users entry in the database.  If an entry is found it is converted to an ASCII string with a syntax  resem-
       bling  that  of	the  passwd  file  and printed out as a single line.  If no entry is found nothing is printed and an exit status of `1' is
       returned.
       # getauth username
       1000:idvidfy8d:1920129:3600:2678400:0e:0:1000:0:00:00
       The first field is the UID of the entry which is used as the key into the database.  Then follows: the encrypted password, password modifi-
       cation  time, minimum password lifetime, maximum password lifetime, account mask, login failure count, audit ID, audit control, audit mask,
       and a reserved field.

If the optional username argument is not supplied to getauth it will produce an output line for every entry in the auth database.

The command expects one or more lines from the standard input which must be of a form identical to that produced by the command.  The  com-
       mand  converts  and  stores  these lines into the database, one entry per line, replacing any entry already existing for the given UID.	By
       piping the output of the command into the input of the command an expensive NOP can be produced:
       # /usr/etc/sec/getauth | /usr/etc/sec/setauth

The command expects exactly one argument, the user name or UID of an auth entry to be deleted.  If the entry is	found  it  is  erased  and
       deleted.  If it is not found no action is taken and an exit status of 1 is returned.

Restrictions
       Only the superuser and members of the group may read information from the auth database.  Only the superuser may modify the auth database.

Diagnostics
       An  exit  value of 0 indicates a successful operation. An exit status of 1 indicates the entry was not found on a lookup or deletion opera-
       tion.  Any other exit status indicates an error.

Files
See Also
       getauthuid(3), getpwent(3), auth(5), edauth(8)
       Security Guide for Administrators

getauth(8)