Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl - how to make output of a command a numbered list Post 302411719 by rethink on Friday 9th of April 2010 09:31:01 AM
Old 04-09-2010
perl - how to make output of a command a numbered list

Hi there, just wondered if somebody could help me with a problem I have

I have a program that when run from the command line will output a list of objects

Code:
# list_servers
server1
server5
server7
server8
#

I just wanted to know, in perl, how can i make each line of output from the above coimmand, a selectable option in an interactive perl script, so for example

Code:
# example.pl

Please select from the following available servers

1) server1
2) server5
3) server7
4) server8

enter selection:

is this possible in perl ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add numbered bulletpoints to grep output

I would like to add "word -esque" numbered bulletpoints to the output of a grep search, which has multiple hits for the search term i.e. grep x filename 1) abcd x 2) efgh x 3) ijkl x I dont have a clue to how to start writing such a script, i cant use SED or AWK so i was maybe thinking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rprules
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: looping through the output of a 'system' command

Hi there could anybody point me in the right direction when it comes to looping through the output of a system command in perl (i.e. df -k) doing a test against each line to see if it matches? for example if i have a df -k output like this and I wanted to grab the lines that matched "sda" or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read tail -F command output in perl

Hi All, How I will read the output of the tail -F command in perl. I have text file with below contains file1.txt 1 2 3 4 $running=1; sub openLog($) { (my $log) = @_; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pravin27
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Parse word from command output

Hello, I used the following script to conect to cisco router: #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use Getopt::Long; use Opsware::NAS::Connect; my($host, $port, $user, $pass) = ('localhost','$tc_proxy_telnet_port$','$tc_user_username$','$tc_user_password$'); my $device =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_zaher
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of command in comma separated list

Hi; I have an output of a particular command say $command fstl:r-x ajay:r-x how can i get this in comma separated list, eg: fstl:r-x,ajay:r-x Thnks; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of a command in perl

Hi All If i run the following command nvidia-settings -V -q screens I get this output X Screen on sutton:0 sutton:0.0 (Quadro FX 4600) Is connected to the following display devices: DELL 2007FP (DFP-0: 0x00010000) Eizo CG243W (DFP-1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab52
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename numbered files to numbered files with leading zeroes

Hi, I have some hundreds/thousands of files named logX.dat, where X can be any integer, and they are sequential, X ranges between 1 and any number: log1.dat log2.dat log3.dat log6.dat log10.dat ... log6000.dat I would like to rename them to scatter_params_0001.dat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pau
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

list files command output

Hi All, Below is the 2 different ouputs of the command "ls -lrt", my question is what exactly "total 0" & "total 8" means here ? $ ls -rtl total 0 -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 0 Feb 10 20:16 c -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 0 Feb 10 20:16 b -rw-r--r-- 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kannan84
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting - Select multiple files from numbered list

I am trying to have the user select two files from a numbered list which will eventually be turned into a variable then combined. This is probably something simple and stupid that I am doing. clear echo "Please Select the Show interface status file" select FILE1 in *; echo "Please Select the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dis0wned
3 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)